Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2012, 02:22 PM

26,778 posts, read 22,534,034 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I think you can absolutely say San Francisco is mixed Asian/"European" (let's all agree "European" means Euro-American/Canadian for this bit of the discussion, and not get into a fight about it) city. As for Khabarovsk and Vladivostok, I generally don't notice this sort of thing, but when I took a small group to Khabarovsk, they immediately noticed that there were a lot of Asians. Does that mean the city is Asian? I don't know. Is Ulan Ude Russian, just because Russians built it? There are a couple of Asian-style buildings there, but even the Buryats don't know what Americans are talking about when we enthuse about these architectural gems, and suggest the city build on the Asian theme. Sometimes it takes an outsider to point out the obvious.
I think the clue should be in the name of the cities themselves - Ulan-Ude keeps its non-Russian name, so I suppose that the city has been built with local population in mind ( since the natives themselves wouldn't be able to build city like that) as a capital of Buryatia. And of course even though Russians didn't go anywhere, the city has the center of Buddhism which Russians themselves wouldn't need I would guess.
Vladivostok ( a Russian word that means just that - "rule/own the East" should give you a pretty good clue what Russians had in mind when they've built that city.

Quote:
I think what Jeff is saying is that he finds Vlad to have a more Asian feel than cities in Western Russia. This is a reasonable statement. Does that mean it's an "Asian city"? We haven't defined the criteria for what qualifies as an "Asian city". Maybe the OP should do that for us, that might be helpful. But I'm intrigued by what Jeff describes as the remnants of a Chinatown there. I'd like to see that.
When I was in Moscow last time I saw tonnes of Asians there and I've heard the languages that I've never heard before. To me it doesn't mean that Moscow became "Asian-influenced city," to me it means that things are getting out of hands and the city is overwhelmed with Asian presence because of the poor state of affairs in Russian economy/demographics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2012, 02:59 PM

102,195 posts, read 107,842,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
When I was in Moscow last time I saw tonnes of Asians there and I've heard the languages that I've never heard before. To me it doesn't mean that Moscow became "Asian-influenced city," to me it means that things are getting out of hands and the city is overwhelmed with Asian presence because of the poor state of affairs in Russian economy/demographics.
What kind of Asians were these? Homegrown, or imported? I've always heard it's very difficult for Asians who are Russ. citizens to live in Moscow, because the police are always checking their documents, to make sure they have a right to live there, and most of them don't (don't have a local employer).

Old 10-12-2012, 04:06 PM

2,042 posts, read 2,903,689 times
Quote:
What kind of Asians were these? Homegrown, or imported? I've always heard it's very difficult for Asians who are Russ. citizens to live in Moscow, because the police are always checking their documents, to make sure they have a right to live there, and most of them don't (don't have a local employer).
Interesting question.
I know in Vladivostok that "swarthy" individuals (Tajiks, for example) are often stopped to show documents by special police who patrol the streets. I saw this happening quite often.
For some reason, I wouldn't think it would be like that in Moscow (due to size, being the capital, etc). Not sure why I thought that, though...

Old 10-12-2012, 04:21 PM

4,432 posts, read 6,982,374 times
It is a Asian city. Even though it is a part of Russia.

However Vladivostok has far closer cultural and political links to Moscow than the former British settled colonies such as Australia and New Zealand in regards to the former mother country the UK.

Old 10-12-2012, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by other99 View Post
It is a Asian city. Even though it is a part of Russia.
That's an oxymoron.

Old 10-12-2012, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Uzbeks? Tajiks?
I have no idea - I only know that I've never seen them there before and I've never heard these languages on the streets of Moscow.
( Even Caucasians that create all this conundrum were not as visible.)

Old 10-12-2012, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffpv View Post
Interesting question.
I know in Vladivostok that "swarthy" individuals (Tajiks, for example) are often stopped to show documents by special police who patrol the streets. I saw this happening quite often.
For some reason, I wouldn't think it would be like that in Moscow (due to size, being the capital, etc). Not sure why I thought that, though...
It's very much like that in Moscow. St. Pete's, too.

Old 10-12-2012, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Uzbeks? Tajiks?
I have no idea - I only know that I've never seen them there before and I've never heard these languages on the streets of Moscow.
( Even Caucasians that create all this conundrum were not as visible.)
Oh, I get it. THOSE Asians. From the former USSR. I wasn't sure if you were talking about Chinese, or about Siberians, or what. I forgot there are a lot of Central Asians working in Moscow.

Old 10-12-2012, 08:19 PM

2,920 posts, read 2,796,831 times
Quote:
That's an oxymoron.
Why? There is more Russia in Asia than in Europe.

Old 10-12-2012, 08:24 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,043,908 times
Is the racism in Russia still bad? Are there skinheads in Vladivostok?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe