U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-13-2012, 08:17 AM
 
Location: Howard County, MD
2,223 posts, read 2,994,747 times
Reputation: 3365

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bejarano View Post
That's not true whatsoever - and there is a difference between 'overweight' by 20/30 pounds and
being over 300 pounds like 'being fat' is considered in the states
. It's no coincidence that the slimming industry is a multi million pound business just like it is in the states, the only main difference is that the portion sizes when eating out are different as are the prices in grocery shopping. Tell me where in Europe being 'fat' is considered normal? The fattest nation in Europe is probably the UK and if you were as fat as some Americans I saw wobbling about you would get abuse, simple as that, and good luck in trying to get a decent job.
*Sigh*

You're really no good to this thread as long as you keep insisting on this ridiculous notion that being hugely obese is the normal standard for "fat" in the US.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-13-2012, 08:25 AM
 
188 posts, read 449,699 times
Reputation: 146
It is only what I have seen John, don't blame my eyes!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-13-2012, 08:28 AM
 
188 posts, read 449,699 times
Reputation: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
And that is a big reason why people commit suicide.
Life can be tough in the UK - that is why a lot of people emigrate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-13-2012, 08:36 AM
 
1,458 posts, read 2,224,410 times
Reputation: 3108
I also find it odd to define general fatness levels as over 300lbs. I see far, far more of this every day, including myself



than this

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-13-2012, 09:29 AM
 
Location: Leeds, UK
22,234 posts, read 23,662,203 times
Reputation: 8607
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
And that is a big reason why people commit suicide.
Don't be such a drama queen.. people of all types are made fun of on a daily basis by comedians and TV shows like Family Guy and I don't see people falling from skyscrapers as I go to work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-13-2012, 02:45 PM
 
Location: San Antonio/Houston
37,981 posts, read 55,740,290 times
Reputation: 89661
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
And that is a big reason why people commit suicide.
Would you support your statement.. like maybe some statistic about how many people in Europe commit suicide because they were fat...

This is an European Forum - did you ever ( in person ) visited any of their countries??
__________________
.
"No Copyrighted Material"
Moderated forums:
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee, Macon, Duluth, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums
.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-13-2012, 07:45 PM
 
Location: M I N N E S O T A
14,800 posts, read 17,710,950 times
Reputation: 9029
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Would you support your statement.. like maybe some statistic about how many people in Europe commit suicide because they were fat...

This is an European Forum - did you ever ( in person ) visited any of their countries??
That would be a hard statistic to find, but its more about committing suicide because of bullying.

When i'm in Europe or anywhere really i don't really care to seek out obese people, they are just humans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-14-2012, 04:58 AM
 
274 posts, read 739,848 times
Reputation: 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by bejarano View Post
[url="http://<b>You don't see many fat people in Southern and Eastern Europe</b>"]

You didn't see 'plenty of fat people' in Spain. Again - overweight people are everywhere, even in China and Japan! Do you see American style 'fat' people of 350lbs plus in Spain - not at all - try and find clothes over there at that size in any shop. Is it normal/socially acceptable to be obese in Spain? No it is not.

Again, no-one is saying there aren't fat people in the UK - there are - they get abuse though off people and have a hard time getting jobs and a love life, someone is going to come on here and say 'Oh yes, I'm fat and my life is great and I have blah blah blah' simply put - slimming is a billion pound industry just like it is in the states, we even had our own version of 'The Biggest Loser' here - which they don't in Spain or Russia funnily enough!

In Spain, 3 to 4 percent suffer Morbid Obesity (BMI over 40) and 11 to 14 percent and growing are obese >30 BMI. The worse cases are surgically intervened through sleeve laparoscopy. About 40 percent are overweight >25 BMI.

Yes, there are American style behemoths in Spain, not that many, but there are.

Poor people eat s-h.it in industrialised societies and large cities. Franchise crap is all around, bread, poor people eat three to four loafs, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-14-2012, 10:05 AM
 
Location: North West Northern Ireland.
20,695 posts, read 19,509,111 times
Reputation: 3107
More= Uk.
Less= Not sure, probably Spain or Italy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-14-2012, 10:06 AM
 
Location: North West Northern Ireland.
20,695 posts, read 19,509,111 times
Reputation: 3107
Quote:
Originally Posted by bejarano View Post
Life can be tough in the UK - that is why a lot of people emigrate.
No, its the rain and cloud.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top