Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-14-2016, 08:58 PM

810 posts, read 667,098 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
American restaurants in Russia? No. Unless you count McDonalds. Ugh. But you can go to the Russian grocer in your area and buy a bag of frozen pel'meni (dumplings) and boil them up with chopped onion and some broth, and have some nice soup. And stuffed cabbage rolls aren't hard to make (golubtsy), and are yummy. There are a variety of beef stroganoff recipes online, including easy ones that use ground beef.

If you ever get to NYC, you MUST go to the Russian Tearoom! Really good traditional Russian food. It's been a fixture in Manhattan since almost forever.
That's a pretty good idea. A Russian dinner night!

I haven't been to the Russian Tearoom but I considered it on my last trip to NYC. It was just a little too expensive for my blood so I tried Veselka in Manhattan instead. (REALLY good!) Rus Uz in Arlington VA is my go-to spot for delicious Russian/Ukrainian food. My favorite so far..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2016, 09:22 PM

102,193 posts, read 107,809,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tailsock View Post
That's a pretty good idea. A Russian dinner night!

I haven't been to the Russian Tearoom but I considered it on my last trip to NYC. It was just a little too expensive for my blood so I tried Veselka in Manhattan instead. (REALLY good!) Rus Uz in Arlington VA is my go-to spot for delicious Russian/Ukrainian food. My favorite so far..
OK, I might try Veselka if I make it back to Manhattan sometime. But fyi, the Tearoom, I'm pretty sure, is open for lunch, when the fare will be more affordable.

hmm... I just looked at the menu. I don't remember it as being so high-end. It must have been that the last time I was there, my friend and I only ordered from the appetizer menu, or something, and made a dinner out of it. Soup and pirozhki, or something. I sure don't remember foie gras, which doesn't sound very Russian. But their pirozhki were outstanding. Took me way back to childhood.

Old 10-15-2016, 11:32 AM

4,692 posts, read 1,164,185 times
Putin becomes Saddam
7 Ways Russia Is Telling People to Prepare for War - ABC News

Old 10-15-2016, 11:54 AM

5,786 posts, read 4,228,322 times
Quote:
American here. I love Russian and Ukranian food. (borscht, manti, dumplings, caviar, pickles, the beer etc.) It's a shame there are soooo few places that actually have it. Although there is a small Russian grocer here in Raleigh NC the nearest restaurant is in Washington DC.
Try this:
https://www.yelp.com/biz/teremok-new-york-5

Quote:
My question is this: What do Russians think of American food? Are there a good variety of American restaurants outside of St. Petersburg and Moscow?
I do not know much about cooking. I heard that the burgers and hot dogs is a German food. But the Russian people think that this is American food. I am sure that the American restaurant with real American food exists in Moscow, but I had little interest in it.

Old 10-15-2016, 01:57 PM

750 posts, read 906,920 times
https://youtu.be/Q8I1ImzoXvU
Something about modern russian food

Old 10-15-2016, 06:51 PM

26,777 posts, read 22,529,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wadym View Post
https://youtu.be/Q8I1ImzoXvU
Something about modern russian food
Yeah-yeah-yeah...

Something about modern Ukrainian "system of justice"

Red Star Over Donbass: Andrei Sokolov: 'They hid me from OSCE commission in a private apartment'

(in Russian https://www.novayagazeta.ru/articles...stnoy-kvartire )

And modern Ukrainian "pioneer camps"

http://features.foreignpolicy.com/ca...stern-ukraine/

Old 10-15-2016, 06:56 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,795,425 times
How are the Azov camps any different from Nashi indoctrination camps?

Old 10-15-2016, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
How are the Azov camps any different from Nashi indoctrination camps?
I dunno...
They are not taught to chant "kill Ukrainians" may be, at the tender age of eight?

Old 10-15-2016, 07:12 PM

4,692 posts, read 1,164,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
And modern Ukrainian "pioneer camps"

http://features.foreignpolicy.com/ca...stern-ukraine/
Looks like a school paintball training summer camp. Whats wrong?

Old 10-15-2016, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alec Solano View Post
Looks like a school paintball training summer camp. Whats wrong?
Nothing, so

"Welcome to the nationalist Azov Battalion's camp for kids, where young Ukrainian patriots train for battle and sing songs about death to Russians."

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe