Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2016, 06:45 PM

9,511 posts, read 5,437,689 times

Advertisements

Some would think Russians have too much time on their hands. Especially in winter.

LiveLeak.com - Tank Loads into Car

Totally cool.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2016, 08:00 PM

26,783 posts, read 22,537,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Hyi helvetti. Let them keep it. Half of it wasn't ours never anyway.

Would like our city of Viipuri back, though, but without the inhabitants.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFs0xPgH8cQ

Did I mention I like Italo-Disco?

Last edited by erasure; 10-12-2016 at 09:18 PM..

Old 10-13-2016, 10:06 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,799,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Interesting.

Here's a map of somewhat disputed lands.

They are not disputed. We came to an agreement in 1997 with the Russians that the issue is resolved forever, relinquishing all Finnish claims on the lost territories.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karelian_question

But I would be willing to do a minor adjustment in the border so that Viipuri could come home. It was ours from the 13th century up to 1944 with a short Russian domination between 1721 and 1812. It was the 2nd or 3rd largest and important city in Finland, and by far the most multicultural one. In the early 1900's you could manage your daily life speaking only Finnish, Swedish, German or Russian. There were also large Polish, Estonian, Kazan Tatar and Ashkenazi minorities. On 1 January 1940 the population of the city was 75k, and in 2010 80k, but now it's almost completely Russian and hasn't grown.

Viipuri has also a lot of Finnish late 19th / early 20th century city building intact, which is not the case in most Finnish cities, who demolished many old buildings to create modernist/brutalist 'Brave New World' buildings and wide motorways. Viipuri is a museum. Our museum.

Old 10-13-2016, 12:22 PM

102,202 posts, read 107,842,460 times
Quote:
They are not disputed. We came to an agreement in 1997 with the Russians that the issue is resolved forever, relinquishing all Finnish claims on the lost territories.

But I would be willing to do a minor adjustment in the border so that Viipuri could come home. It was ours from the 13th century up to 1944 with a short Russian domination between 1721 and 1812. It was the 2nd or 3rd largest and important city in Finland, and by far the most multicultural one. In the early 1900's you could manage your daily life speaking only Finnish, Swedish, German or Russian. There were also large Polish, Estonian, Kazan Tatar and Ashkenazi minorities. On 1 January 1940 the population of the city was 75k, and in 2010 80k, but now it's almost completely Russian and hasn't grown.

Viipuri has also a lot of Finnish late 19th / early 20th century city building intact, which is not the case in most Finnish cities, who demolished many old buildings to create modernist/brutalist 'Brave New World' buildings and wide motorways. Viipuri is a museum. Our museum.
It sounds very nice, and the multi-cultural history of it is fascinating! Too bad that was lost, or Russified. But the time to have negotiated for it was in 1997, obviously. Perhaps an agreement could be reached with Russia to maintain its architectural heritage. Russia, unlike China, isn't much into tearing down historic buildings and neighborhoods to build new ones. They can't really afford it, anyway.

You sound almost as though you had lived there back in those days, Ariete, and you're nostalgic for the good old days.

Old 10-13-2016, 07:04 PM

26,783 posts, read 22,537,314 times
Quote:

Ariete, when you were talking once about the massacre of Russians in Finland - was it in Viipuri ( as it turned out - Vyborg,) because that's the first thing I've encountered when I googled "Viipuri" up

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vyborg_massacre

Old 10-14-2016, 02:54 AM

750 posts, read 907,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maksim_Frolov View Post
Unfortunately, yes. And therefore the civil war rages in the Ukraine.
Yup, only most of the dead is poor Russians from the Urals and Buryatia.

Old 10-14-2016, 03:17 AM

5,786 posts, read 4,230,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wadym View Post
Yup, only most of the dead is poor Russians from the Urals and Buryatia.
Сertain ratio of the dead/wounded/prisoners always exists at war. I did not see to captured Buryats.

Old 10-14-2016, 05:35 AM

750 posts, read 907,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maksim_Frolov View Post
Сertain ratio of the dead/wounded/prisoners always exists at war. I did not see to captured Buryats.
Where you did not see? On russian television?

Use reliable sources

KILLED, CAPTURED, MISSING, SEEN IN UKRAINE, RUSSIAN SOLDIERS AND MERCENARIES

Old 10-14-2016, 06:09 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,799,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
Ariete, when you were talking once about the massacre of Russians in Finland - was it in Viipuri ( as it turned out - Vyborg,) because that's the first thing I've encountered when I googled "Viipuri" up

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vyborg_massacre
Yes, that's the one.

Old 10-14-2016, 08:11 AM

4,692 posts, read 1,164,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wadym View Post
Where you did not see? On russian television?

Use reliable sources

KILLED, CAPTURED, MISSING, SEEN IN UKRAINE, RUSSIAN SOLDIERS AND MERCENARIES
They lost (c) Putin
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe