Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2017, 11:31 AM

5,786 posts, read 4,227,242 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Could you folks please provide captions with the photos you're posting, so that we can know what we're looking at, exactly? I'd like to know where those churches are, including the ruined one that Alec posted. Thanks.
I think his church is related to a flooded areas in a construction of hydropower stations. I will try to find information, Alec is unlikely to do so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2017, 11:34 AM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maksim_Frolov View Post
I think his church is related to a flooded areas in a construction of hydropower stations. I will try to find information, Alec is unlikely to do so.
Thanks. It looks like a historic site. It would be interesting to know where it is and what its history is.

Old 01-24-2017, 11:47 AM

41 posts, read 36,351 times
Quote:
Could you folks please provide captions with the photos you're posting, so that we can know what we're looking at, exactly? I'd like to know where those churches are, including the ruined one that Alec posted. Thanks.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mologa

Old 01-24-2017, 11:57 AM

5,786 posts, read 4,227,242 times
Yes, it is Mologa, city under water Rybinsk Reservoir (Volga river).

https://youtu.be/IDk_1uRr0DY

Old 01-24-2017, 12:24 PM

That's sad. So much history, and so much beautiful architecture, gone! We don't have history that goes back to the 1200's or earlier, in the US, except in rare instances with some of the Native American peoples. In Russia, there is so much to see; there's history and beautiful architecture everywhere!

Where is the wooden church located? It looks like the churches on Kizhi, except it looks very new. I suppose that the only people who know how to build a wooden church in that style are the craftsmen who maintain the architectural monuments on Kizhi...?

Old 01-24-2017, 01:41 PM

617 posts, read 537,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alec Solano View Post
When the russian economic will fall down? This year or next? Any points?
Why do you care?
Russians never surrender, even when they seem to "fall down". I would think westerners should be interested in stable and prosper Russia, rather than fallen, because when hardship hits Russia tends to expand, and ***** soldiers from Europe will have no chance to stand up.

Old 01-25-2017, 11:44 AM

7 posts, read 4,387 times
Russian people are very patient. The standard of living has fallen markedly. Prices are rising. I myself not to understand why the rise in fuel prices. When world oil prices have fallen, gasoline have risen.

Old 01-25-2017, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Constantine_M View Post
Russian people are very patient. The standard of living has fallen markedly. Prices are rising. I myself not to understand why the rise in fuel prices. When world oil prices have fallen, gasoline have risen.
They removed the subsidies on gasoline, though that was done already in the late 80's/2000's. They may have gone even farther than that; they may have artificially raised the price to closer to "world" prices, or levied a hefty tax on gas, like California and some European countries do. The difference between Russia and the West is that in the West, the governments tell you they're taxing you. In Russia, it can be rather mysterious. There's not the same level of transparency.

Old 01-25-2017, 03:24 PM

617 posts, read 537,896 times
Quote:
The difference between Russia and the West is that in the West, the governments tell you they're taxing you. In Russia, it can be rather mysterious. There's not the same level of transparency.
Not true.
Taxation in Russia these days is very transparent, and far lower than in the US, and somehow Russians get guaranteed 30 day vacations, nearly free healthcare and free education up to advanced degree.

Americans would kill for Russian 13% flat income tax and $50/year property tax on average size apartment.
But they have to work hard to pay off their bills, having none of standard European social security, paying crazy taxes, and all because mass media brainwashed them to believe that they are surrounded by enemies, and have to pay trillions to support gigantic army and endless military adventures around the globe.

Old 01-25-2017, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by civis View Post
Not true.
Taxation in Russia these days is very transparent, and far lower than in the US, and somehow Russians get guaranteed 30 day vacations, nearly free healthcare and free education up to advanced degree.

Americans would kill for Russian 13% flat income tax and $50/year property tax on average size apartment.
But they have to work hard to pay off their bills, having none of standard European social security, paying crazy taxes, and all because mass media brainwashed them to believe that they are surrounded by enemies, and have to pay trillions to support gigantic army and endless military adventures around the globe.
OK, so then you try to explain why gas prices are so high, when global crude prices crashed so badly that Russia's oil-export-dependent economy has been struggling.

The US has free education up to a university degree, too. Big deal. And university education in Russia is no longer free to everyone; it's only free to those with the best marks in highschool. Everyone else has to pay, and it's not cheap by Russian standards.

The mass media didn't brainwash Americans to think they're surrounded by enemies. Having planes fly into tall office buildings and the Pentagon did that. But yes, of course military spending has been out of control since then.

Oh, and speaking of military adventures abroad, how is Russia's little exercise in Syria being paid for? In view of those low oil prices, and all... It's not as if Russia's a credit-worthy nation that other countries are rushing to invest in, or that it offers a currency everyone wants to have. But I suppose that's what the new energy pipelines to China are for, in part.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe