Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-05-2018, 05:56 PM

9,511 posts, read 5,435,134 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maksim_Frolov View Post
Yes, it seems that they were on the ships. Ukrainian military sailors are good guys, but they have a problem. They have many friends and blood relatives among Russian military sailors. So, the crews of the ships were reinforced by ideologically persistent nationalist guys.

Their hair is pretty funny. They think that this is the hairstyle of ancient Ukrainian princes. For example, Prince Svyatoslav (prince of Novgorod and Kiev in 10th century):

https://www.syl.ru/misc/i/ai/338267/1970250.jpg

Old Rus chronicles have a description of such a hairstyle. But this is a mistake. The author was a monk and he used a typical method of religious literature of the time: he took a piece of another text about Attill and changed his name to Svyatoslav. This symbolized a succession of the Russian Christian land. In reality, Svyatoslav was Scandinavian and he did not shave his head.
Ukrainian nationalists are very funny.
I heard that the Russians were very interested in those SBU officers and that's the way some of the worst governments work. They keep thugs in the midst of the people in order to ensure loyalty. They're kept in the populace too. A level of terror must be maintained in order to control and coerse cooperation.

These are the epople who knock dissenters off by whatever means necessary. The US and it's various juntas depend heavily on this. In Iraq death squads roamed freely and widely with total impunity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2018, 06:07 PM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,853,283 times
Russians just can't accept reality can they. That their fellow Russian speaking "brothers" are willing to fight to keep them away. Well keep on attacking them and telling them they are not fighting for themselves but it isn't going to work.

Old 12-05-2018, 07:12 PM
DKM

Ahh now I see where this is coming from. I appreciate this site giving me the heads up. So I'm wondering why on earth are the Russians presenting this picture of strange guys as some sort of nationalist officers captured from the ships? The coordinated posts on here told me something is up. And story that the SBU officers job is to keep the Ukrainian sailors from defecting to Russia...was a mystery to me until now.

I've heard the Russian media will be presenting an interesting story to cover an image problem: The Russian Navy injured six Ukrainian sailors when they captured the ships. The story will be invented that those Ukrainian sailors were actually injured by the SBU guys on their own ships. That the sailors refused some illegal command or something. I'm sure the details still have to be hammered out. The sailors have to be kept in captivity while this story gets passed around, so don't expect them to be released anytime soon. Popcorn ready.

Old 12-05-2018, 09:21 PM

26,777 posts, read 22,529,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKM View Post
Thank for the explanation. This has been a mystery for a while for me now. I understand Putin perfectly well so I guess he speaks "high" Russian.

Yes he speaks "high Russian" and I have to admit that his Russian is very eloquent. These are not the "prepared speeches," his language is flexible, the grammar is perfect and he masters complex sentences with ease when he speaks. I have to give credit where the credit is due, as much as I don't like the man.

Quote:
As for the Ukrainian sounding more "peasant" that is more likely because its the language of the villages in the parts of Ukraine outside of the western part where it is spoken everywhere including the cities. In the east you had to travel far outside of the cities to hear it spoken and even then, it sounds different from the Lvov version (to me).

They have the variety of dialects across the regions ( I can hear that,) and it sounds more peasant, because.. well...it's very vernacular)))

I guess the more they get onto academic level, the more they have to use Russian.

Old 12-05-2018, 10:05 PM

26,777 posts, read 22,529,485 times
Quote:
Ahh now I see where this is coming from. I appreciate this site giving me the heads up. So I'm wondering why on earth are the Russians presenting this picture of strange guys as some sort of nationalist officers captured from the ships? The coordinated posts on here told me something is up. And story that the SBU officers job is to keep the Ukrainian sailors from defecting to Russia...was a mystery to me until now.

No DKM, these people didn't look like seamen to me, since the sailors were from the South-Eastern part of Ukraine ( we've already established that.)
But this photo confirms why Russians think that Ukrainian nationalists belong to the looney bin.
I mean yes, this is their "folk" haircut, a historic trademark so to speak, as it was depicted in this famous Repin's masterpiece.

But do you have to bring this circus to the MODERN army?
Really?
And what kind of army is that?

Quote:
I've heard the Russian media will be presenting an interesting story to cover an image problem: The Russian Navy injured six Ukrainian sailors when they captured the ships. The story will be invented that those Ukrainian sailors were actually injured by the SBU guys on their own ships. That the sailors refused some illegal command or something. I'm sure the details still have to be hammered out. The sailors have to be kept in captivity while this story gets passed around, so don't expect them to be released anytime soon. Popcorn ready.

I haven't seen anything like that in Russian media, BUT..
SBU is Ukrainian KGB, basically. So WHAT were they doing on your "regular military Ukrainian vessel" a-hem.

?

Old 12-06-2018, 08:33 AM

12,022 posts, read 11,565,479 times
The NY Times eulogizes a US-paid Syrian activist who warned Al Qaeda of Syria and other affiliated terrorist groups of incoming airstrikes.

Quote:
With financing from the State Department, Mr. Fares started a local radio station, Radio Fresh, that broadcast music, news and warnings about incoming airstrikes.
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/11/23/w...st-killed.html

Old 12-06-2018, 12:34 PM

5,786 posts, read 4,228,322 times
Quote:
Those two guys you linked were not captured sailors
Yes, you are right. This photo showed up on Twitter before the indicated events. Do you know these guys? Are they military?

Old 12-06-2018, 12:38 PM

5,786 posts, read 4,228,322 times
Quote:
Russians just can't accept reality can they. That their fellow Russian speaking "brothers" are willing to fight to keep them away.

In this case, Ukraine came to Russia. Russian sailors risked to protect their country from Ukrainian violators.

Old 12-06-2018, 01:07 PM

12,022 posts, read 11,565,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maksim_Frolov View Post
In this case, Ukraine came to Russia. Russian sailors risked to protect their country from Ukrainian violators.
Ukraine resumes grain shipments from Sea of Azov

https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-uk...-idUKKBN1O31R8

Long essay on the new Cold War

https://mronline.org/2018/12/06/new-...oming-threats/

Old 12-06-2018, 02:17 PM
DKM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
SBU is Ukrainian KGB, basically. So WHAT were they doing on your "regular military Ukrainian vessel" a-hem.

?
You probably aren't aware of how navies operate but ranking ships are supposed to have non enlisted security officers. The SBU acts as security officers on Naval ships. Russia uses FSB officers in the same way. The US navy has master at arms. Britain (where most of the world's modern naval roles are based on) has used different entities for this over the years, and at some point they used Marines. We still use Marines as security officers at embassies due to this traditional role. This is a very general description of a complex system but I think my point is made.

Acting like their presence on these ships is unusual or even nefarious is just disinformation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe