Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2022, 01:52 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,462,489 times

Advertisements

The USA has basically been telling Ukraine they totally had their back in a fight with Russia then Russia invades and NATO does nothing more than send weapons and intelligence. Both have made a significant impact but in a long war there's no way Ukraine can stop Russia without NATO boots on the ground.

China is the key player. If they decide to back Russia with weapons and money then the war continues. If the war sends global economy into a recession I think China pressures Russia to come to terms and end conflict. I don't think the West can pressure Putin out of power but China could. China has been a huge winner, learning what methods (freezing assets electronically, cyber attacks, etc) the West would use against China if it invaded Taiwan. All the Western oil companies leaving Russia will be replaced with Chinese ones. Russia will now be forced to sell most of its oil only to China. Most people in the West are thrilled that Russia is having trouble in Ukraine but Russia being forced to do whatever China wants is very bad for NATO in the long term.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2022, 02:02 PM

2,279 posts, read 1,339,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post

There, the Nationalists (Azov battalion) literally put people in the same buildings where the troops are located and set the mines in buildings too.

Kharkov ( where the majority of foreign students are trapped I assume) - there the Ukrainian troops are not allowing civilians to exit the city.

Same with Kiev.

I think it's time for US gov. to put pressure on its puppets in Kiev, instead of keeping encouraging them.

You gotta be a Russian bot to believe this stuff LOL

Old 03-03-2022, 02:10 PM

5,214 posts, read 4,015,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
The USA has basically been telling Ukraine they totally had their back in a fight with Russia then Russia invades and NATO does nothing more than send weapons and intelligence. Both have made a significant impact but in a long war there's no way Ukraine can stop Russia without NATO boots on the ground.

China is the key player. If they decide to back Russia with weapons and money then the war continues. If the war sends global economy into a recession I think China pressures Russia to come to terms and end conflict. I don't think the West can pressure Putin out of power but China could. China has been a huge winner, learning what methods (freezing assets electronically, cyber attacks, etc) the West would use against China if it invaded Taiwan. All the Western oil companies leaving Russia will be replaced with Chinese ones. Russia will now be forced to sell most of its oil only to China. Most people in the West are thrilled that Russia is having trouble in Ukraine but Russia being forced to do whatever China wants is very bad for NATO in the long term.

China doesn't care, what they want is money and money only, the war caught them off guard so to speak.
I feel like the countries nearby should do more - Turkey, Romania, Bulgaria, Poland and maybe Greece, Baltics. It's clear it's very hard for Russia to advance despite the "great" victory in Kherson (a city with significant Russian minority btw), what Ukraine needs is a little more help and russia will get hit so hard they may even learn how to pronounce "e" or have worse economy tomorrow (assuming that's possible by the laws of physics...).

Old 03-03-2022, 02:40 PM

6,784 posts, read 4,224,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post

China doesn't have to back them with weapons necessarily, they just have to keep trading with them. And I expect they will because it will be trade on China's terms, which of course is their favorite kind of trade.

As I mentioned in another thread I believe, we'll probably continue trading with Russia just using China as the middleman. No-one gives a damn where exactly China procures the raw materials needed for their production.

Ideally the U.S. would probably try to pressure China into pressuring Russia but what leverage do we have vs China? None whatsoever.

Old 03-03-2022, 02:41 PM

2,367 posts, read 908,280 times
Quote:
Gotcha.

I barely use my phone too, just hate using phones for anything but calling and texting.

Call me old-fashioned.

( But I have my comp of course))))
Speaking of old fashioned... I noticed from the photo of the Russia-Ukraine talk today, that the Russian delegate is in suits and ties and the Ukrainians are in sweats and hoodies.

I think we are also seeing a clash of generations and cultures here. The US and western Europe are a lot more liberal, media centered, anything goes, anyone can be president. The young people are anti-tradition. They wear "gangsta" clothing. I'm a retired old guy and the America I knew was different. People's behavior was different.

Old 03-03-2022, 02:42 PM

2,216 posts, read 1,020,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by euro123 View Post
China doesn't care, what they want is money and money only, the war caught them off guard so to speak.
I feel like the countries nearby should do more - Turkey, Romania, Bulgaria, Poland and maybe Greece, Baltics. It's clear it's very hard for Russia to advance despite the "great" victory in Kherson (a city with significant Russian minority btw), what Ukraine needs is a little more help and russia will get hit so hard they may even learn how to pronounce "e" or have worse economy tomorrow (assuming that's possible by the laws of physics...).
How wonderful everything would be if it wasn't so disgusting. All Western friends say only that Ukrainians need other weapons, and they don't care how many of them will die. And the West is very concerned about Russian money. Which is not surprising.Money.this is the only value of the West. And the lives of some Ukrainians? What are they worth? Zero cents. Free. Who counted these aborigines and when? These are all Western hypocrites. they are so worried about Ukrainians, but they did not say a word about the fact that people are not being evacuated from the combat zone. That food supplies have stopped all over the country, and the authorities simply don't care that people run around empty shops and see crumbs that are not suitable for food, but at exorbitant prices. Who cares about these people? Their goal is Russia.

Drunk Zelensky, at a press conference, talks too much about the West. It seems to me that the Western owners refused to protect him.

Old 03-03-2022, 02:44 PM

6,784 posts, read 4,224,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by euro123 View Post
Except this time is very different. America is weaker than it was in the 90s and more importantly: Russia is way stronger than Serbia. If America wants to help the only thing they can do is install a funny president like Trump so we can laugh at this jokes because Biden is a boring old man. Even Zelenski is paying more attention to what the whole of Europe thinks and for a good reason. I consider him a hero and hope for the death of Putin as soon as possible and not Zelenski.

Europe can't do anything really. For the Ukrainian military to get equipment they'd need to actually beat the Russians, America would need to start shipping at least its 2nd rate material in large quantities especially in order to get air superiority which the Ukrainians will probably need to stage a larger offensive to drive the Russians out.

The Europeans barely have enough high end planes, missiles etc. to equip their own forces, and they won't be eager to give them away now that they realize they may actually need them at some point.

The stuff they sent the Ukrainians so far would be enough to make a dent in an African coup d'etat but not a real war.

Old 03-03-2022, 02:54 PM

26,773 posts, read 22,521,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lampert View Post
You gotta be a Russian bot to believe this stuff LOL

I am watching the emergency session on this particular subject in the Russian Ministry of defense, and I am cross-referencing it with other news, from English-speaking sources, since there are foreigners caught in this situation as well.

In this case - I am looking at Indians in particular.

"Russian President Vladimir Putin has held talks with India’s Prime Minister Narendra Modi on the urgent evacuation of Indian students trapped in the Ukrainian city of Kharkiv, the Kremlin says.
During their video call on Wednesday, Putin said he had ordered Russian soldiers “to ensure the safe exit of Indian nationals from the armed conflict zone and their return to their homeland,” according to a Kremlin statement."

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2022/...rapped-ukraine

"He added that he and others had to let eight trains pass as they were full. Currently, Thaha said, they are awaiting the next train, which is slated to arrive by 4 pm local time (7.30 pm IST). However, the students are not optimistic as a curfew is in place from 4 pm, and say that there are shoot-on-sight orders by the Ukrainian forces. “We are aware of the advisory, but it is impossible to leave Kharkiv by 4 pm,” Thaha said. In Kyiv, the capital city, the Mayor had issued shoot-on-sight orders, but it is not confirmed whether there is a similar order in Kharkiv as well."

https://www.thenewsminute.com/articl...eadline-161508

So if Russian troops are ready to assure the "green corridor" for civilians, what is the problem then, what do you think?

( In Mariupol, with the "Azov" stationed there, it's a given what's going on in terms of civilians.)

Old 03-03-2022, 03:43 PM

7,306 posts, read 9,314,019 times
Quote:
I am watching the emergency session on this particular subject in the Russian Ministry of defense, and I am cross-referencing it with other news, from English-speaking sources, since there are foreigners caught in this situation as well.

In this case - I am looking at Indians in particular.

"Russian President Vladimir Putin has held talks with India’s Prime Minister Narendra Modi on the urgent evacuation of Indian students trapped in the Ukrainian city of Kharkiv, the Kremlin says.
During their video call on Wednesday, Putin said he had ordered Russian soldiers “to ensure the safe exit of Indian nationals from the armed conflict zone and their return to their homeland,” according to a Kremlin statement."

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2022/...rapped-ukraine

"He added that he and others had to let eight trains pass as they were full. Currently, Thaha said, they are awaiting the next train, which is slated to arrive by 4 pm local time (7.30 pm IST). However, the students are not optimistic as a curfew is in place from 4 pm, and say that there are shoot-on-sight orders by the Ukrainian forces. “We are aware of the advisory, but it is impossible to leave Kharkiv by 4 pm,” Thaha said. In Kyiv, the capital city, the Mayor had issued shoot-on-sight orders, but it is not confirmed whether there is a similar order in Kharkiv as well."

https://www.thenewsminute.com/articl...eadline-161508

So if Russian troops are ready to assure the "green corridor" for civilians, what is the problem then, what do you think?

( In Mariupol, with the "Azov" stationed there, it's a given what's going on in terms of civilians.)
I think if you're in Russia, now is the time to flee, as your other countrymen are doing. Things are about to get very bad indeed for Russia. https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...ia-ukraine-war

Old 03-03-2022, 03:53 PM

6,326 posts, read 6,585,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
I think if you're in Russia, now is the time to flee, as your other countrymen are doing. Things are about to get very bad indeed for Russia. https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...ia-ukraine-war
No, she is an old Russian nazi hating the West and Ukraine from the lair of the American beast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe