Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2022, 04:37 PM

26,788 posts, read 22,556,454 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
I think if you're in Russia, now is the time to flee, as your other countrymen are doing. Things are about to get very bad indeed for Russia. https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...ia-ukraine-war

Dear God.

Why can't you understand that it's easy to find any info on line, if you know couple of languages and how to google?

So flee yourself wherever you wish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2022, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberMee View Post
No, she is an old Russian nazi hating the West and Ukraine from the lair of the American beast.

If I'd be hating West, I'd be sitting in Russia for real))))

Old 03-03-2022, 05:12 PM

5,481 posts, read 6,307,209 times
Quote:
All Western friends say only that Ukrainians need other weapons, and they don't care how many of them will die. And the West is very concerned about Russian money. Which is not surprising. Money. this is the only value of the West. And the lives of some Ukrainians? What are they worth? Zero cents.
Turist, I think what you do not understand about Westerners, especially Americans, is that while money and economy are important, as you say, freedom is more important. Without our freedoms, money would mean very little, and we wouldn't have very much of it anyway. Would you as a Russian simply surrender if you were invaded by a foreign nation? Would you just give up your country in order to avoid casualties? I think not. Remember that the American Revolution was fought by, and America was founded by men who stood up and defeated the world's most powerful military at the time. Freedom is the MOST important thing to a free people. The money that we certainly do worry about, and the higher standard of living that comes with it, is simply a result of our freedom.

Ukraine has decided that they do not want to be a part of Russia, that they want to be part of the EU and be protected by NATO. Why does the Russian mind not understand this? Ukraine was a part of the Soviet Union for decades and they have decided that they do not want to go back. I understand their desire to be free of Russia, as I am an American who lives in a state that was once one of the original 13 colonies that declared independence from England, and then defeated England in a war to keep that independence. That is what the Ukrainians are doing now, fighting for their very right to self determination. For their right to exist. I think President Zelensky has much in common with a famous American revolutionary patriot, Patrick Henry, who said "Give me liberty, or give me death."

Last edited by treasurekidd; 03-03-2022 at 05:31 PM..

Old 03-03-2022, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by treasurekidd View Post
Turist, I think what you do not understand about Westerners, especially Americans, is that while money and economy are important, as you say, freedom is more important. Without our freedoms, money would mean very little, and we wouldn't have very much of it anyway. Would you as a Russian simply surrender if you were invaded by a foreign nation? Would you just give up your country in order to avoid casualties? I think not. Remember that the American Revolution was fought by, and America was founded by men who stood up and defeated the world's most powerful military at the time. Freedom is the MOST important thing to a free people. The money that we certainly do worry about, and the higher standard of living that comes with it, is simply a result of our freedom.

Ukraine has decided that they do not want to be a part of Russia, that they want to be part of the EU and be protected by NATO. Why does the Russian mind not understand this? Ukraine was a part of the Soviet Union for decades and they have decided that they do not want to go back. I understand their desire to be free of Russia, as I am an American who lives in a state that was once one of the original 13 colonies that declared independence from England, and then defeated England in a war to keep that independence. That is what the Ukrainians are doing now, fighting for their very right to self determination. For their right to exist. I think President Zelensky has much in common with a famous American revolutionary patriot, Patrick Henry, who said "Give me liberty, or give me death."

They were NOT "part of Russia" for 30 years, they were certainly NOT part of Russia back in 2014.

I think this should change your flow of thought a bit, no?

Old 03-03-2022, 06:10 PM

5,481 posts, read 6,307,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
They were NOT "part of Russia" for 30 years, they were certainly NOT part of Russia back in 2014.

I think this should change your flow of thought a bit, no?
No, not even a little. They have not been part of Russia since the Soviet Union, and they do NOT want to be now. Again I ask, why does the Russian mind not understand this?

Old 03-03-2022, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by treasurekidd View Post
No, not even a little. They have not been part of Russia since the Soviet Union, and they do NOT want to be now. Again I ask, why does the Russian mind not understand this?

I PERFECTLY understand that they don't want to be part of Russia, but if that was their goal, they needed to be smarter in their politics, and they'd remain a separate state from Russia as it was for the last 30 years.

Old 03-03-2022, 07:25 PM

17,622 posts, read 17,682,949 times
Quote:
I PERFECTLY understand that they don't want to be part of Russia, but if that was their goal, they needed to be smarter in their politics, and they'd remain a separate state from Russia as it was for the last 30 years.
Separate as long as it’s a puppet leader loyal to Russia, Putin.

Old 03-03-2022, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
Separate as long as it’s a puppet leader loyal to Russia, Putin.

One more time, slowly.

This was the president that Ukraine VOTED for, particularly South-East of Ukraine.

This particular president ( Yanukovich that is) was balancing country just fine.

He could understand that the WEST of the country needed its trade/relations with Poland.

But the EAST of the country ( being more industrialized) simply needed its trade with Russia, and this included Russian gas first and utmost for industrial purposes.

Obviously, historically so, the South-East of the country was culturally more Russian than the Western part.

Russia ( I repeat it again) DIDNT want Ukraine to be "part of Russia," as in at all.

Putin's government didn't think that it was FINANCIALLY VIABLE for them.

Yanukovich on another hand was NOT all that "loyal to Russia"; he was "loyal" to Russian economy ( or rather the perks that he had there,) but he didn't mind EU at all.

But when he read the FINE PRINT of what the EU was offering to him in that "EU association" package, and compared it to what Putin offered to him for joining his "Custom union," he realized what a trap the economic offer from EU was.

And that's why he signed the deal with Russia instead, because it was MORE VIABLE for him from economic point of view.

This was not POLITICAL, but purely economic decision.

A lot of you are not familiar with a subject, or are simply in denial.

Old 03-03-2022, 09:23 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,435,268 times
Quote:
One more time, slowly.

This was the president that Ukraine VOTED for, particularly South-East of Ukraine.

This particular president ( Yanukovich that is) was balancing country just fine.

He could understand that the WEST of the country needed its trade/relations with Poland.

But the EAST of the country ( being more industrialized) simply needed its trade with Russia, and this included Russian gas first and utmost for industrial purposes.

Obviously, historically so, the South-East of the country was culturally more Russian than the Western part.

Russia ( I repeat it again) DIDNT want Ukraine to be "part of Russia," as in at all.

Putin's government didn't think that it was FINANCIALLY VIABLE for them.

Yanukovich on another hand was NOT all that "loyal to Russia"; he was "loyal" to Russian economy ( or rather the perks that he had there,) but he didn't mind EU at all.

But when he read the FINE PRINT of what the EU was offering to him in that "EU association" package, and compared it to what Putin offered to him for joining his "Custom union," he realized what a trap the economic offer from EU was.

And that's why he signed the deal with Russia instead, because it was MORE VIABLE for him from economic point of view.

This was not POLITICAL, but purely economic decision.

A lot of you are not familiar with a subject, or are simply in denial.
It must be so frustrating to you that you've repeated all this countless times and no one is buying it. We are all just foolish western rubes who don't understand the complexities of your truth. Quixotic. Never give up chasing your windmills, comrade.

Old 03-03-2022, 09:54 PM

6,326 posts, read 6,592,679 times
For as long as Putin could control Ukraine through his puppets, it was ok for some time at least. Putin took as a personal offense ousting of his puppet Yanukovich in the course of a popular uprising. He was displeased with Yanukovich' "softness", Ukrainian president did not have what it takes for a real crack down on protesters, he lost his cool after the first 100 dead and he had to be extracted by Russian special ops to Russia to never matter again, because der Putin had plan B, Crimean annexation followed by jump starting a low intensity hybrid war in Donbas.

Right now Russian Federation exercises some measure of control over 10 former Soviet republics. Baltic states got away, Ukraine was on its way towards an escape hatch. The crazy Kremlin rat decided to strike before Ukraine could escape Russian vassalage completely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe