Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2015, 08:27 AM

34 posts, read 59,834 times

Advertisements

I leave next week and someone just now told me that I need a converter for outlets or I won't be able to charge anything.
This could have caused a major problem seeing as I run my life and business from my computer.

So what things do I need when in Europe?
I am going to be traveling to many countries over the coarse of a few years.

I have the universal outlet adapter.

I am working on getting currency in advance for each country.

Can anyone direct me to a place I can learn about phones abroad? I don't want to pay for international. So is there a phone service that will work across all of europe? I have an unlocked iPhone. Currently using Tmobile. Will my iPhone work with a foreign sim card because it is factory unlocked?

Also I need to be online 20 hours of the day. I have unlimited data on Tmobile and have been using tethering for all my internet needs. What is an option for me to have a wifi hotspot wherever I go all over the world?

Any advice is much appreciated. I really have no idea what to expect and I would like to be prepared for everything

Basically I am looking for something similar to my current unlimited data tethering for my computer via my tmobile iPhone

Also if you could point out any differences I should know about Europe from the USA it would be great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2015, 08:28 AM

3,379 posts, read 5,534,558 times
The most striking difference is that there are no more bugs in Europe.

Old 03-16-2015, 08:39 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,886,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomorebugs View Post
I leave next week and someone just now told me that I need a converter for outlets or I won't be able to charge anything.
This could have caused a major problem seeing as I run my life and business from my computer.

So what things do I need when in Europe?
I am going to be traveling to many countries over the coarse of a few years.

I have the universal outlet adapter.

I am working on getting currency in advance for each country.

Can anyone direct me to a place I can learn about phones abroad? I don't want to pay for international. So is there a phone service that will work across all of europe? I have an unlocked iPhone. Currently using Tmobile. Will my iPhone work with a foreign sim card because it is factory unlocked?

Also I need to be online 20 hours of the day. I have unlimited data on Tmobile and have been using tethering for all my internet needs. What is an option for me to have a wifi hotspot wherever I go all over the world?

Any advice is much appreciated. I really have no idea what to expect and I would like to be prepared for everything

Basically I am looking for something similar to my current unlimited data tethering for my computer via my tmobile iPhone

Also if you could point out any differences I should know about Europe from the USA it would be great.
WARNING WARNING WARNING.

You don't just need outlet adaptors if you're going to use US appliances/computers/etc - you need a TRANSFORMER for many items. You can't just snap a plug adaptor onto the end of a cord and plug everything in. Can you say "fried?"

Since you're going to be there a few years, you would probably be better off buying European appliances and phones and a phone plan. You can use the transformer to charge your phone and tablet and laptop but you need to look into other options since you're going to be living there rather than just spending a few weeks there.

Tell us more about your own situation. You need to be online 20 hours a day? What sort of work do you do? Is your employer helping you get settled in any way? What country will you be living in?

No offense, but to be MOVING to a foreign country in a week, you don't sound very prepared or knowledgeable about the basics. I notice that you are a new forum member so please excuse my skepticism but...wow.

Old 03-16-2015, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
WARNING WARNING WARNING.

You don't just need outlet adaptors if you're going to use US appliances/computers/etc - you need a TRANSFORMER for many items. You can't just snap a plug adaptor onto the end of a cord and plug everything in. Can you say "fried?"

Since you're going to be there a few years, you would probably be better off buying European appliances and phones and a phone plan. You can use the transformer to charge your phone and tablet and laptop but you need to look into other options since you're going to be living there rather than just spending a few weeks there.

Tell us more about your own situation. You need to be online 20 hours a day? What sort of work do you do? Is your employer helping you get settled in any way? What country will you be living in?

No offense, but to be MOVING to a foreign country in a week, you don't sound very prepared or knowledgeable about the basics. I notice that you are a new forum member so please excuse my skepticism but...wow.
So then you are saying something like this is not enough to plug in my computer and phone:
Universal International Travel AC Adapter Power Outlet Plug UK US AU Europe | eBay

I am very young. I own a business online. Purchasing bulk cheap electronics from Alibaba, and selling them on ebay. I have two employees here in the States who are doing shipping for me all the time. But I get so many messages and of coarse with cheap Chinese made electronics many of them break so I spend my whole days on my computer resolving issues and answering peoples questions. I am just going to be traveling a lot.
All I do is run the customer service portion of my business at this point. Which I can do from anywhere in the world. I am traveling through Europe for a while because I want to see what the world has to offer. I feel it is the right time to do this because I am young. I know I am very underprepared which is why I am asking for any help and advice I can get.
I will be in England, then Belgium, then Germany, then Spain, then Andorra. Less then 3 months in each country so I don't need a visa of any kind. By the time I am in Spain I will know where the next several destinations are.

Does it matter if you are skeptical? Why would I make this up?

I am not religious in any way. But there is a teaching I learned in religious school when I was younger that has always stuck with me.

I am paraphrasing of coarse:
When someone is seeking help who cares if they are faking? They will be judged in the next world. And if they are not faking then it will be favorable on you. It will not hurt you to help the person. So why does it matter as long as there is nothing possibly malicious they could do with the information

Thank you for any help you give me

Old 03-16-2015, 09:01 AM

9,962 posts, read 12,378,757 times
One MAJOR difference is that the USA is a Country and Europe is a CONTINENT.

Old 03-16-2015, 09:03 AM

502 posts, read 655,010 times
bad news for you.... there is something called Schengen area(look it up on the web). And you don't need a visa if you stay less than 3 months within Schengen area. Unfortunately for you, Belgium, Germany, Spain and Andorra will de facto be for you as Schengen Area, so you need to get OUT of there in less than 3 months. A trip to the UK for example will do (or Morocco)

Old 03-16-2015, 09:14 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,886,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomorebugs View Post
Quote:
So then you are saying something like this is not enough to plug in my computer and phone:
Universal International Travel AC Adapter Power Outlet Plug UK US AU Europe | eBay
Yes, that's what I'm saying. Note that the ad specifically says that the plug adapters do not convert VOLTAGE. US and EU products use a different voltage system. You need a transformer. They're very heavy. You would probably do better just changing out your electrical items rather than lugging a transformer around all over Europe.

Quote:
I am very young. I own a business online. Purchasing bulk cheap electronics from Alibaba, and selling them on ebay. I have two employees here in the States who are doing shipping for me all the time. But I get so many messages and of coarse with cheap Chinese made electronics many of them break so I spend my whole days on my computer resolving issues and answering peoples questions. I am just going to be traveling a lot.
If you are selling electrical appliances on eBay, you really do need to study up on this stuff. I am serious - not trying to offend you. But it sounds like you have access to inexpensive stuff so you should buy some things for yourself - items that will work without a transformer in Europe (European voltage systems rather than US voltage systems). You will still need the plug adapters if you're going to be traveling a lot.

Quote:
All I do is run the customer service portion of my business at this point. Which I can do from anywhere in the world. I am traveling through Europe for a while because I want to see what the world has to offer. I feel it is the right time to do this because I am young. I know I am very underprepared which is why I am asking for any help and advice I can get.
Start by looking up "using US electrical items in Europe."

Yes, you are very underprepared but you do have a week or so to do a LOT of reading.

Quote:
Does it matter if you are skeptical? Why would I make this up?
Why are there weirdos all over the internet? I'm not saying you're making it up - I'm saying you're a new forum member and that it's not unusual for junior forum members to be trolling, or to be a "one post wonder" asking lots of strange questions that don't make much sense and then never showing back up. Maybe you're not one of those (I hope not) but considering that it's not unusual, I'm skeptical till I see differently.

Hopefully we can give you some advice that may avert disaster on your trip! But please don't rely only on this forum. Go to international travel sites - there are lots of tips there about electrical stuff, phones, etc. You really need to prepare carefully for a long trip like the one you're making, or you will spend lots and lots of money on expensive mistakes.

Old 03-16-2015, 09:39 AM

24,513 posts, read 10,836,221 times
First - where are you going to? Do you have the appropriate visa?

Old 03-16-2015, 09:51 AM

Is it the device itself that needs to be different? Or can I just purchase the European iPhone charger?
I apologize for my ignorance.

Does anyone have any ideas on the phone bit?
I am calling tmobile now to see if they can be of any help

Old 03-16-2015, 10:02 AM

1,704 posts, read 1,837,220 times
Newer appliances usually work between 110-240 V so you don't need a transformer, just an adopter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe