Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2015, 06:51 AM

1,398 posts, read 1,489,365 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I agree - it's one of my frustrations about some areas of this forum.

Almost invariably, when people say "Europe," they mean western Europe. They, inadvertently or subconsciously, or maybe even deliberately, leave out countries and regions that are struggling, whose economies are in chaos, or where racism or class disparity or whatever is more pronounced.

You'd think reading over the threads in this section of the forum that Europeans are sitting around in outdoor cafes drinking wine or coffee and planning their next vacation every day from 2 till 10 pm, and then chopping up a few organic veggies to drink with their sparkling water in their penthouse apartment overlooking the Seine, while Americans put on their hard hats and go to work 80 hours a week in a coal mine just to pay for a big screen TV for their five kids to watch while they all sit in front of it in their McMansion, isolated from the rest of humanity, stuffing burgers in their faces.

Finally you are honest with yourself
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2015, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paull805 View Post
UK

Europe

That has been my experience anyway.
Why are you comparing a grounded plug to a non grounded one?

Old 03-18-2015, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
Oh really! Well how about these for a few facts:-

All Frenchmen wear blue/white stripey jumpers, berets and ride around on bicycles - fact
All Germans are tall and blond and wear leiderhosen - fact
It rains non-stop in London - fact
All Scotsmen wear kilts and have 'wild' orange hair - fact
All Americans are heavier than 25 stones and eat nothing but McDonalds supersized meals - fact
All Americans are rather stupid and know nothing about the world outside their front door - fact (this one seems to hold some truth when it comes to our friend USAGeorge)
All Ukranian women are tall slender, stunning looking blonds - fact
All Americans from the southern states are interbred and play the banjo - fact
The food in all of the UK is terrible - fact
Isn't it true that British houses can't keep the warmth in? So in the "winter" you have like +15 degrees inside?

Old 03-18-2015, 07:22 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,977,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majurius View Post
Finally you are honest with yourself
Oh, I forgot this part though:

All Finns have Marfan syndrome - in fact, this syndrome developed in Finland. Oh, and they all have thin blonde hair, pale blue eyes, and walk around wearing long, thick sweaters of various shades of gray. They eat a lot of of fish and some kind of berry. It snows in Finland for 9 months out of the year. There are no cars - only bikes. And Santa Claus used to live there, but even he couldn't stand it and moved himself and Mrs. Claus to a more hospitable and pleasant location.

Old 03-18-2015, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Oh, I forgot this part though:

All Finns have Marfan syndrome - in fact, this syndrome developed in Finland. Oh, and they all have thin blonde hair, pale blue eyes, and walk around wearing long, thick sweaters of various shades of gray. They eat a lot of of fish and some kind of berry. It snows in Finland for 9 months out of the year. There are no cars - only bikes. And Santa Claus used to live there, but even he couldn't stand it and moved himself and Mrs. Claus to a more hospitable and pleasant location.
Very nice, but the bolded are actually incorrect. Finland has never seen snow showers like they had in Buffalo, also biking is not very popular.

Old 03-18-2015, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Very nice, but the bolded are actually incorrect. Finland has never seen snow showers like they had in Buffalo, also biking is not very popular.

But I've seen pictures of bikes in Finland online and talked to people who say they've gone there and they said that people ride bikes there and it snows 9 months out of the year - so it must be true. Why wouldn't I believe what people on the internet tell me?

In fact, my head is about to explode because you are a person on the internet and you have given me conflicting information about a place you say you live. What should I believe, what should I believe? Where is my Prozac? It's too much for me to process!

Your supposedly first hand experience contradicts the stereotypes I've read and heard for years, so of course you must just not know what you're talking about.

Old 03-18-2015, 09:19 AM

Quote:
But I've seen pictures of bikes in Finland online and talked to people who say they've gone there and they said that people ride bikes there and it snows 9 months out of the year - so it must be true. Why wouldn't I believe what people on the internet tell me?

In fact, my head is about to explode because you are a person on the internet and you have given me conflicting information about a place you say you live. What should I believe, what should I believe? Where is my Prozac? It's too much for me to process!

Your supposedly first hand experience contradicts the stereotypes I've read and heard for years, so of course you must just not know what you're talking about.
Internet is a complicated place and it messes with your head Maybe you should go outside for a change?

Old 03-18-2015, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Internet is a complicated place and it messes with your head Maybe you should go outside for a change?
I spent most of my afternoon outside yesterday. I am already dressed to go back outside and work in my flower beds but I'm having one last cup of coffee before the day starts. Thanks for caring though!

What did you do outside today?

Old 03-18-2015, 09:26 AM

Quote:
I spent most of my afternoon outside yesterday. I am already dressed to go back outside and work in my flower beds but I'm having one last cup of coffee before the day starts. Thanks for caring though!

What did you do outside today?
Not any garden work, that's for sure. Nothing grows here at this time of the year.

Old 03-18-2015, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Not any garden work, that's for sure. Nothing grows here at this time of the year.
Well, when it's too hot outside for me to want to get out in the yard, you will be enjoying a Finnish summer, so it all works out in the end for everyone!

Peace out - time for me to go outside and pull weeds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe