Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2015, 01:07 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,756,050 times

Advertisements

Hispania and Iberia are not used outside the context of old History.
Iberian is mostly used in "Iberian Peninsula". For the simple reason that Portugal and Spain are rather different, so there is little point to put them in the same drawer, i.e. to talk about them at the same time.
And Hispanic is a typical American term, which denotes stuff to do with Spain and even more so Spain's former colonies in Latin America.

I know I have said it before, but since you keep repeating your nonsense again and again, I will correct it again and again I have lots of time...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2015, 01:20 PM

212 posts, read 209,139 times
Yes, Hispania and Iberia are used in a modern context.
Hispanic is not an American term, please!!!
Iberia is the name of the entire peninsula.
Somebody from the Great Plains in Ohio might says such things, but not you.
Portugal and Spain are different because both are different countries that share a peninsula.

Old 10-25-2015, 01:39 PM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,904,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pampliment View Post
Hispania and Ibería are used interchangeably to designate anything related to Hispania and Iberia...and their descendants or the land they colonised.

If interpreted exactly Hispania or Iberia would not include contemporary societies, but then nobody would use such terms as Albion, Gallic, Germanic, etc, etc.

I don't care what words Americans use to explain their reality, but to pretend that Portugal is not included in the term Hispanic, Hispania, Iberia or Iberian is just DEMENTIAL.

As to using Lusitania...Lusitania was part of Hispania and most was inside modern day Spain.

And then you go again with your morbid obsession with race, quite worrisome under the light of the news we hear about your country and the ease of obtaining weapons, we are talking about cultures.
Complete nonsense again most of Lusitania was in modern day Portugal as the Lusitanian tribe was found within the borders of modern day Portugal and originated in that territory. Roman Lusitania did include modern day Extremadura and a very small part of Castilla Y Leon but that was the Vettones homeland territory who were allies of the Lusitanians.

Old 10-25-2015, 01:45 PM

Today Hispanic is an American term, nobody in Europe uses that term.

Iberia is not used for the Iberian Peninsula. One of the reasons for choosing the longer term instead is that there also used to be an Iberia in Georgia. Not to mention that it is simply outdated. The only modern usage of Iberia I know of is the airline.

Old 10-25-2015, 02:13 PM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,904,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post

Iberia is not used for the Iberian Peninsula. One of the reasons for choosing the longer term instead is that there also used to be an Iberia in Georgia. Not to mention that it is simply outdated. The only modern usage of Iberia I know of is the airline.
Which makes the whole situation comical since he's chasing his tail as evidence by his repeating over and over that he doesn't care how Americans define the term. HaHaHa!

Old 10-26-2015, 06:38 AM

Neuling

Hispanic was coined before America existed, so was Iberia. History books and serious papers are packed with those words in Europe.
Who the hell cares what it means in "American" political slang? Who cares?
If the term "Barcelona" or "Munster" becomes a synonim in the US for bald headed gays, are you going to pay heed to such idiocies?
Just as the term "Anglo", poor historic Angles must be revolting in their ancient tombs.

Last edited by Rozenn; 11-01-2015 at 08:03 AM.. Reason: Trolling

Old 10-26-2015, 06:49 AM

Exactly, history books, which obviously refer to history, old history in this case.
Today Hispanic is an American term (i.e. used by Americans, not invented by them, of course). I have lived in Europe all my life, nobody here uses that term for anything other than history (I don't even think I ever heard that term when I went to school myself, the details of the history of the Iberian Peninsula were of no interest whatsoever, they are only taught in Spain and Portugal I suppose). You must be living in a parallel universe

Old 10-26-2015, 06:55 AM

Hispanic is NOT an American term. Please.
Is Hamburguer an American term?
History books, cultured papers, fiction books, those two words appear there.
The fact that you did not hear the term is inconsequential.
No, they are not only taught in Spain and Portugal.
I like to read books and avoid tabloids.
History of Germany and history of Spain is studied in all serious schools in Germany and Spain.

Old 10-26-2015, 07:05 AM

I already explained what I mean by American term. Also, Hispanic is an English word.
In that sense, yes, Hamburger is also an American term because it describes something that originated in and is typical of the US, regardless of the fact that Hamburg is a German city.

No, it is no inconsequential because I attended a Bavarian Gymnasium, which is the highest level of high school there is in Germany. Nor did anyone at the university use that term, but then again, I did not study Spanish or Portuguese history...
The details of Spanish and Portuguese history are definitely not taught at any high school in Germany. You would have to study specifically Spanish or Portuguese history in order to come across those details.

Old 10-30-2015, 01:40 PM

2,825 posts, read 5,266,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post

I don't know how it works in german, but in french the term "hispanic" is widely used, but obviouly not in the Way people now use it in American english.

"Hispanique" here obviously refers to everything somhow related to Spain... And by extension to the Spanish language and former Spanish colonies...

"Hispania" is just the latin form for Spain.
Hispania - Hispanie - Espana - Espagne - spagna - Spain... All actually are the same word in various languages
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe