Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2016, 12:38 PM

9,173 posts, read 13,256,248 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by soUlwounD View Post
Why it is kept an "issue" that muslim culture would destroy European culture but American culture add nobody care?

American culture add destroys European cultures as well and has done it faster, better and in all silence and nobofy cry after their own culture (except me of course) ..

And now when muslims are coming, many seemed to wake up and ask what about our own (american-washed) culture?

Is there some new comer ways that you like and hate and some what you miss of your own what is gone and what is still left and you appreciate and would not let go?
Well for one, millions of poor Americans are not moving to Europe, then gradually outnumbering the Europeans themselves and then fundamentally changing their countries, forever.

But the actions of United States certainly demand some criticism, much of it justified. For instance, American actions (actually non actions) on global warming.

A lot of criticism toward America seems to be with the reputation of multi-national corporations. But America itself is a victim of multi-national corporations: "U.S. FDI totaled $194[26] Billion in 2010. 84% of FDI in the United States in 2010 came from or through eight countries: Switzerland, the United Kingdom, Japan, France, Germany, Luxembourg, the Netherlands, and Canada". Notice of the 8 largest countries with direct investment in the United States, six of them are European.

Source https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foreign_direct_investment
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2016, 01:00 PM

26,784 posts, read 22,561,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
Well, if one considers America's 'money making production line and consumerism' a result of Adam Smith's economic philosophy, and one considers Adam Smith a European Enlightenment figure, then it stands to reason that America's corporate bullishness has its roots in the European Enlightenment.
Adam Smith does not = consumerism as the basis of a lifestyle; neither does it equals the corporate takeover, which is really purely American phenomena that progressed in the last 20 years or so.
If Adam Smith ( who was of European origin) and Age of Enlightenment would have been a culprit of it all, Europeans would have suffered the same ills I would think.
But even if Europeans do suffer from it lately, that's not because of their own roots and reasons, but because America is spreading her corporate culture crap around the world.

Old 02-14-2016, 01:04 PM

1,267 posts, read 1,248,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
Yes, why not?
This is not about "Islam in Norway" - this is about Islam and its basic beliefs, no matter where it is - Norway or not.

Of course it's a cause for alarm, since it clears the confusion of what "moderate" muslim is, and whether he/she is really all that different from the "radical" one.

I'd say it's all about the number of muslims residing in Europe, and their points of concentration, as the example with Luton shows.
As I said, I've had friends, acquaintances and colleagues who identify as Muslim, but none of them would harm a fly, or try to force their beliefs on anyone - and I would hazard an educated guess that a large percentage of the Muslim population of Luton, for example, would do the same. Some of them you wouldn't even believe are Muslims because - believe it or not - they've grown up in the UK and and adapted to the culture. They even drink and get laid for goodness sake. You should really try to talk to some and attempt to engage with them instead of extracting your opinions from Britain First/EDL/National Front youtube clips.

Old 02-14-2016, 01:07 PM

1,598 posts, read 1,059,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbobcat View Post
As I said, I've had friends, acquaintances and colleagues who identify as Muslim, but none of them would harm a fly, or try to force their beliefs on anyone - and I would hazard an educated guess that a large percentage of the Muslim population of Luton, for example, would do the same. Some of them you wouldn't even believe are Muslims because - believe it or not - they've grown up in the UK and and adapted to the culture. They even drink and get laid for goodness sake. You should really try to talk to some and attempt to engage with them instead of extracting your opinions from Britain First/EDL/National Front youtube clips.

Old 02-14-2016, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1950's-americana View Post
THINGS I DISLIKE ABOUT AMERICAN INFLUENCE:

-POLITICAL CORRECTNESS: Yes it works in the US, considering American history and culture it makes sense, but do not export it elsewhere where most likely won't work.

-FORCED SHOVED DOWN YOUR THROAT USA-STYLE MULTICULTURALISM: You HAVE to abandon your cultural heritage and label yourself with white/black or whatever term Americans use, and accept this new identity and embrace the American concept of multiculturalism, because you HAVE TO!

- CORPORTATION WINS OVER THE PEOPLE: Small businesses are over, it's all big corporations ruling everything, notice how stores everywhere in the world are nowadays pretty much the same! (this was born and largely pushed by the US)

- RUSSIA IS YOUR ENEMY EUROPE, AMERICA YOUR FRIEND: If Europe had TRULY INTELLIGENT LEADERS, they would take advantage of both Rusia and the USA relations wise.... Sadly European leaders are spineless and at the orders of the US, as a result Europe always ends up in the middle of all this power struggle against Russia, often paying for the broken dishes after the party is over, while the US is happy keeping its power over Europe!

- EUROPE NEEDS TO LOSE ITS CULTURE AND ACCEPT THE GLOBALIZED MULTICULTURAL USA-STYLE WORLD: I already mentioned something similar earlier, but American influence while good in many ways, has been terrible for Europe in A LOT OF OTHER WAYS! Certain countries especially Sweden, Netherlands, Germany are starting to look like the USA!

- WORK WORK WORK CONSUME CONSUME CONSUME, DON'T THINK! JUST WORK AND CONSUME: yes Europe is starting to become like that (Sadly!)
Agree with all of it.

Old 02-14-2016, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Who told you that I "extract my opinions from Britain/EDL/National Front youtube clips?"
I extract my opinion of Islam based on personal experience/observations, since I spent enough of time dealing with muslims, not to mention that I have them in my own family.
Your personal experience of a MAN, living in London at that, is of course very different from mine, being a woman and witnessing muslims not in big cosmopolitan cities ( where they are less of a problem,) but it their "natural habitats."
Indeed my perception that Islamic culture is incompatible with European values/life style hits "closer to home" than yours, since you just "have acquaintances" somewhere in London.
All this "Britain First" and Luton events are just the latest discoveries of mine, that only add more details to a bigger picture.

Last edited by erasure; 02-14-2016 at 01:34 PM..

Old 02-14-2016, 01:31 PM

360 posts, read 1,087,945 times
Quote:
I can understand you wanting to protect your friends from harm. But as pointed out by Erasure, R_U_A Wizard, and others, you can't in your zeal to protect innocent Muslims deny that there isn't a serious problem in the Muslim world. Attacks happen worldwide that slaughter innocent people. How many are doing it? It's not just the few that commit the attacks but also the millions who live under Sharia Law who give moral and monetary support to the killers. They are aware that they can't defeat our technology on the battlefield so it's their goal to disrupt our lives and hurt our economies. And if given access to a weapon that could destroy a major city do you think they'd turn down the chance? I think Americans and Europeans have much more in common than a group that, if allowed to grow to great enough numbers, would try to impose their belief system, their Sharia Law, on everyone around them. By the way I had a stent put in an artery in 2011 by a Muslim doctor who had a national reputation for his skill. A very nice man. Most of us conservative Christians have absolutely no problem with people like him other than we don't accept his beliefs. Some here keep talking about what Christians would do if given the chance. Christians aren't, but some Muslims are. Want greater acceptance of Muslims? Have them practice their beliefs in peace. That's what people want from the Christians they hate, should no less be demanded of Muslims?

Old 02-14-2016, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
A restrictive culture that demonizes change...that sounds like the Republican Party's agenda for the U.S.
Nah, we're just trying to keep irresponsible Democrats from spending us into oblivion. If the Democrats win back total control of the American gov't like in 2008 then don't worry, y'all's desire to see America destroyed will come to fruition. Then you can turn to Europe's best buddy, Putin. He will definitely be reaching out to you, LOL.

Old 02-14-2016, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vantexan View Post
Nah, we're just trying to keep irresponsible Democrats from spending us into oblivion. If the Democrats win back total control of the American gov't like in 2008 then don't worry, y'all's desire to see America destroyed will come to fruition. Then you can turn to Europe's best buddy, Putin. He will definitely be reaching out to you, LOL.
I watch the surging Sanders crowd, and imagining his victory, I ask myself; since when ( and why) America with its conservative Christian roots all of a sudden should become so "left" and "liberal" within the next couple of years ( if he wins that is,) while Russia, where the "left" traditions are deeply ingrained in her culture will remain staunchly "right-wing," where under the current government it's all about the power of money and corporations? Particularly after the US government made such effort to destroy the "left-leaning" society and eradicate all the "liberal ideas" over there? Only to replace Russia as the "left-leaning state" itself?
Something is not right in this world, on top of all that latest Islamic invasion of Europe.

Last edited by erasure; 02-14-2016 at 02:39 PM..

Old 02-14-2016, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
I watch the surging Sanders crowd, and imagining his victory, I ask myself; since when ( and why) America with its conservative Christian roots all of a sudden should become so "left" and "liberal" within the next couple of years ( if he wins that is,) while Russia, where the "left" traditions are deeply ingrained in her culture will remain "right-wing," where under the current government it's all about the power of money and corporations? Particularly after the US government made such effort to destroy the "left-leaning" society and eradicate all the "liberal ideas" over there? Only to replace Russia as the "left-leaning state" itself?
Something is not right in this world, on top of all that latest Islamic invasion of Europe.
Good point, does make one wonder.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe