Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2016, 07:33 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,201,108 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vantexan View Post
a large percentage of the Muslim world still wants to spread their religion by any means they deem necessary
Are you implying that most Muslims ("larger percentage of the Muslim world") support terrorism ("spread their religion any means they deem necessary")?

I think that is what you are implying. If so, could you find actual statistics supporting that? Most statistics I've read is that most Muslims condemn terrorism.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2016, 07:36 AM

360 posts, read 1,087,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by philkirkham View Post
define 'large' - 1%, 10%, 50% ?
Who knows? But movements like Wahhabism are very influential in the Muslim world. If 10 percent of 1.5 billion are radicalized that's a significant group working towards our downfall.

Old 02-14-2016, 07:42 AM

2,974 posts, read 2,816,051 times
Quote:
It's not a matter of bragging. If you allow average men the chance to improve their lives by inventing products that improve ours, you get an explosion in innovation that moves the world forward. If you hold people back with a restrictive culture that demonizes change, you get something like today's Islamic nations. Nowhere is that more evident than America vs the Middle East.
Is that really what American culture is about? It's only on paper, in reality the average men has a higher chance to move up the social sphere in Europe. Anyway, what i meant with my post was that the reason we are miles from each other and still able to communicate through a forum in real time isn't America but of Enlightenment, Industrial Revolutions, ecc. and at the same time this move forward isn't only the effect of America's policies or culture but of the phenomenon of globalization who involves all of us.

America is a big player but so are European countries and nowadays China, South Korea, Taiwan, Singapore and Japan

Old 02-14-2016, 07:58 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,201,108 times
Quote:
If you hold people back with a restrictive culture that demonizes change, you get something like today's Islamic nations. Nowhere is that more evident than America vs the Middle East.
A restrictive culture that demonizes change...that sounds like the Republican Party's agenda for the U.S.

Old 02-14-2016, 09:34 AM

1,598 posts, read 1,059,322 times
Quote:
Who knows? But movements like Wahhabism are very influential in the Muslim world. If 10 percent of 1.5 billion are radicalized that's a significant group working towards our downfall.
well you were the one claiming that it was a large percentage and now you say 'who knows'

Old 02-14-2016, 11:12 AM

26,788 posts, read 22,556,454 times
Quote:
Not to mention that Wahhabism was spread as far as Caucasus, which costed gazillion of lives for both Russians and Chechens.
( Then from there it reached the US with Boston bombing.)
So yes, Islam is like a virus - it mutates and infects muslims, who in their turn destroy the world.
And what's the percentage of muslims carrying this violent virus, and how many of them are susceptible to this disease? No one knows for sure and never will, but the fact remains; "Dar al Islam" - that's the "lands of Light," and "Dar al Harb" - that's the lands of "Darkness" that need to be "enlightened" - i.e. submitted under Islam.

Dar al-Harb - Oxford Islamic Studies Online

Old 02-14-2016, 11:20 AM

23,795 posts, read 13,265,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soUlwounD View Post
Why it is kept an "issue" that muslim culture would destroy European culture but American culture add nobody care?

American culture add destroys European cultures as well and has done it faster, better and in all silence and nobofy cry after their own culture (except me of course) ..

And now when muslims are coming, many seemed to wake up and ask what about our own (american-washed) culture?

Is there some new comer ways that you like and hate and some what you miss of your own what is gone and what is still left and you appreciate and would not let go?
Please understand that those Americans making catastrophic predictions and freaking out in general about the immigrants in Europe are mostly extremist right-wing nationalists.

I live in the US and have no idea what 'culture' they are worried about, other than their own religious beliefs and gun culture. They are talking about life in the 50s which disappeared long ago.

Most of the US is not overly concerned with losing what is basically a melting pot culture. Our 'culture' is all about cell phones, internet, work and entertainment really.

Old 02-14-2016, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbobcat View Post
Well what you're seeing is the same 100 (or less) hardcore muslims being shown over and over again to look like there are far more than there are and that the problem is a huge one.
I looked Luton up.
With the amount of population of non-European background living there, I'd be concerned, very concerned with Islamic take-over.
You are talking about "100 or less hardcore Muslims," but with 60,000 of "Asian British" alone ( which I assume of Pakistani background,) plus at least part of Black population I'd guess being Islamic as well, quarter of Muslim population in town - that's already a lot.
So "100 hardcore muslims," but how many quietly supporting those "hardcore muslims" are out there, do you know?

Now tell me please for example, who are the "radical" Islamists here and who are the "moderate" ones?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bV710c1dgpU

Old 02-14-2016, 12:21 PM

1,267 posts, read 1,247,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
I looked Luton up.
With the amount of population of non-European background living there, I'd be concerned, very concerned with Islamic take-over.
You are talking about "100 or less hardcore Muslims," but with 60,000 of "Asian British" alone ( which I assume of Pakistani background,) plus at least part of Black population I'd guess being Islamic as well, quarter of Muslim population in town - that's already a lot.
So "100 hardcore muslims," but how many quietly supporting those "hardcore muslims" are out there, do you know?

Now tell me please for example, who are the "radical" Islamists here and who are the "moderate" ones?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bV710c1dgpU
So you prove your point with a link to a Islamic Peace Conference held in NORWAY!? An event which draws 4,000 moderate muslims, not just from Oslo, but all of Scandinavia and beyond. Hardly cause to get too wound up about it whether you agree with their ideals or not? Islam is NOT taking over Europe in any meaningful way anytime soon.

Old 02-14-2016, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbobcat View Post
So you prove your point with a link to a Islamic Peace Conference held in NORWAY!? An event which draws 4,000 moderate muslims, not just from Oslo, but all of Scandinavia and beyond.
Yes, why not?
This is not about "Islam in Norway" - this is about Islam and its basic beliefs, no matter where it is - Norway or not.

Quote:
Hardly cause to get too wound up about it whether you agree with their ideals or not?
Of course it's a cause for alarm, since it clears the confusion of what "moderate" muslim is, and whether he/she is really all that different from the "radical" one.

Quote:
Islam is NOT taking over Europe in any meaningful way anytime soon.
I'd say it's all about the number of muslims residing in Europe, and their points of concentration, as the example with Luton shows.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe