Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2019, 12:51 PM

26,883 posts, read 38,040,463 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by supfromthesite View Post
Not really, it's more than just the nose
I wasn't actually thinking of the nose, but now that you mention it...

Portman and Gellar don't have "the nose", anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2019, 01:16 PM

399 posts, read 355,097 times
I have the nose lol. My mom does, too. Her sister didn't. She used to look a lot like S. M. Gellar when young. Or rather Gellar looks like my aunt when she was young. Still, most people tell me I look Greek, sth Balkan, French, or Baltic (my skin's very pale despite dark hair and eyes).

Old 03-11-2019, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
How can most people tell that you're (half-)Jewish, as opposed to Christian?
Do you wear religious garb or symbols of some kind?

Most Jews in Paris, London, NYC look pretty much the same as anyone else.
I've read that men wearing the kippah are not looked at fondly by some other minority groups. The first result below shows some incident like that. The third result here however is proof that not everyone is filled with hatred and there's still some humanity and solidarity left in this world:
https://www.google.com/search?safe=s...30.FQChUh4JNdA

Even more results come up when I search for Germany here.

People in Germany are urged not to wear kippah. I'd say wearing a hat like this attracts the evil eye as well now. I wish I could say I was joking. Mine had a similar logo in front, but it was a winter hat. I was like "Seriously?" and now I only wear it in Eastern Europe:

Old 03-11-2019, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by healthy_ View Post
I've read that men wearing the kippah are not looked at fondly by some other minority groups. The first result below shows some incident like that. The third result here however is proof that not everyone is filled with hatred and there's still some humanity and solidarity left in this world:
https://www.google.com/search?safe=s...30.FQChUh4JNdA

Even more results come up when I search for Germany here.

People in Germany are urged not to wear kippah. I'd say wearing a hat like this attracts the evil eye as well now. I wish I could say I was joking. Mine had a similar logo in front, but it was a winter hat. I was like "Seriously?" and now I only wear it in Eastern Europe:

OK, then. Wearing a kippa basically advertises the fact that you're a Jewish person.

Old 03-13-2019, 05:40 AM

61,729 posts, read 87,147,355 times
Hello??? Are we still on topic???

Old 03-13-2019, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Hello??? Are we still on topic???
I think we sort of still are. We're still generally talking about personal safety in Paris (and other cities, it's true), albeit for people from certain groups.

Old 03-20-2019, 07:44 PM

45 posts, read 38,981 times
From so many of the posts on this subject one can clearly see that liberalism is truly a mental disorder, frequently causing blindness and extreme tolerance most often resulting in total confusion and disorientation..... leading to the third world like living conditionss we have today in most European capitals and large US cities.

Old 03-20-2019, 10:22 PM

6,046 posts, read 5,956,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fwi97 View Post
From so many of the posts on this subject one can clearly see that liberalism is truly a mental disorder, frequently causing blindness and extreme tolerance most often resulting in total confusion and disorientation..... leading to the third world like living conditionss we have today in most European capitals and large US cities.
Your solution being?

Old 03-23-2019, 04:59 AM

OK after me b-ing about Paris, let's say the good things - the atmosphere is one of arts and love for real! I just fell in love with the vibe if it. I'd say people of Lyon, Cote d'azure/Riviera (esp. Nice and Cannes), Toulouse are less friendly than the French from Northern, Central and Western France. Yep, I found Parisians not ruder than your typical big city person. In fact despite my very broken French the lady at the ticket office in Gare Centrale was very nice. Much more than, say, many employees in Central and Eastern Europe

I would skip Cannes, it's an overrated village anyway. And I could find better beaches and towns in Spain or Portugal for less € than Nice or the French Riviera. Or maybe try the less touristy coastal areas of the Aquitaine region. I refuse to work with ppl from Nice and Cannes after working with them, I just hate them really. Real, insufferable jerks and very snobbish/xenophobic while they're not even fully French (lots of Italian or Spanish blood down there!).

I didn't like Lyon, too many redneck-like types acting like royalty. No nicer way to put it, sorry. I haven't even met a nice Lyonnaise outside of France (they say ppl show their real face abroad). I bet many rude ppl in Paris actually come from Lyon, Toulouse or the Riviera. /rant over

The local borns are usually very nice to me, ditto for the Northerners from like Caen, Rouen, Dunkirk and Amiens. All in all Paris is still a great place to visit. For long-term living I've got no idea, but I loved it more than any place in Europe I've visited so far and that includes my own country!

Last edited by healthy_; 03-23-2019 at 05:08 AM..

Old 03-25-2019, 08:26 AM

8,196 posts, read 2,845,962 times
Current report from an American who went there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVOgl1iLFDY
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe