Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2021, 04:14 PM

2,289 posts, read 1,570,921 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
After watching the whole show with this Roman Protasevich, I couldn't help but wonder what this soy boy was doing in big politics ( leave along running around with gun in ( or near) the Azov battalion.)
After the the whole ( actually both countries ) - Belarus and Russia, saw what the top of Belorussian "opposition" is made of, what do you do with such people?
Put them back to high security prison?
What for?
I couldn't help but wonder about the scheduling of the court decision. Family & friends were surprised by both the timing and outcome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2021, 06:54 PM

9,511 posts, read 5,451,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Very Man Himself View Post
I guess you're saying it's not coincidental. BBC says family & friends were surprised at the move.
Courts acted quickly, within a week of the new sanctions. I doubt the EU will lift the sanctions.
From what I know of the court system in Belarus when it comes to trials and court procedures family is kept out of the picture. One instance I know of where a neighbor of my sister in law got drunk at his house one night and started shooting an AK-74 from his back yard, hitting a neighbors house and someones wife and dog. He was arrested and disappeared. 2 months later the shooters soon to be ex wife got a notice from an officer of the court delivered saying that he had been sentenced to 4 years in prison. It came with a list of charges one of which was inflicting bodily harm with an illegal weapon.

Their system is definitely different. Criminals in most cases are not innocent until proven guilty. Judges talk to Gendarmes who have talked to witnesses and made a report as best they can on the scene. This case was quite clear to them. They found the weapon the wounded dog and neighbor. Justice was swift and as prescribed by law. Justice was also certain. One thing that was explained to me was if he had not drawn blood then he may have just gotten away with a good beating and all his toys confiscated.

I might be wrong on some of this as it's long ago and 3rd hand but I get the impression that in Belarus the law is the law and there are no "guidelines" and if you screw up in a big way you will pay the price. It's a remarkably peaceful country with very good natured and steady people unlike what I see here. Women can generally walk the streets in cities at night with little or no risk. I've seen it with my own eyes.

Old 06-25-2021, 07:04 PM

I need to add that I have seen fisticuffs in the public areas a few times and they're usually halted by people around or some cops show up with big sticks and solve the problem very quickly sending everyone on their way. I also saw 2 groups of students having what amounted to a rock fight, campus property was getting broken. A cop showed up and he was forced off. Not 15 minutes later about 100 Belarussian army troops from the Gomel garrison came in Ural trucks and chased everyone off. They had some big sticks too. No one was arrested but some kids had knots on their heads.

Old 06-25-2021, 07:47 PM

26,794 posts, read 22,572,170 times
Quote:
I couldn't help but wonder about the scheduling of the court decision. Family & friends were surprised by both the timing and outcome.

You mean to move him out of prison, and to place him under the house arrest?

And it coincides with what exactly?

Old 06-26-2021, 07:10 AM

2,289 posts, read 1,570,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
You mean to move him out of prison, and to place him under the house arrest?

And it coincides with what exactly?
Maybe your memory is faulty? Old age?

Same week:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/61294941-post713.html

Old 06-26-2021, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Maybe your memory is faulty? Old age?

Same week:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/61294941-post713.html

While my memory is faulty, I can't blame it for not remembering things I didn't know to begin with)))

There is too much going on ( other than Belorussia,) that once I saw what turn Lukashenko took ( i.e. joining Russia,) I was not following further details, looking at the bigger picture.

But I did see Protasevich's confession out of the corner of my eye on Russian sites, and it surprised me.
I mean it's one thing when people are doing what they are forced to do under pressure - you see them basically repeating what they are told to say, but this guy just couldn't shut up - he kept on going and going and going far and beyond of what he was required to say.
And when he started crying saying basically how relieved he was to leave it all behind, and to start living "normal life," without fear of what's going to happen to him tomorrow, I thought "what the heck, how did you even get into this story in the first place ( using Russian expression "got like chicken into soup.")

Here he is yaking non-stop. ( He said his own people reported him to Belorussian security when he was on that plane.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LuImNQzPJlw&t=86s

...and crying.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4OS-aM7bKQI

So what do you do with such crushed person, who already made a spectacle of himself, of this whole so-called "Belorussian opposition" and what's it made of, for everyone to see?
Keep him under the tight security in prison? What for?

He can't serve as a political figure any longer.

( I just hope his own people won't finish him off for obvious reasons.)

Quote:
The EU gave the reasons for the sanctions and so we know the conditions for lifting them. Belarus, like its Russian master, ignores this and pretends the sanctions are for other reasons. We'll see if they quietly let this guy leave the country.
And by "we" you mean "you" and "some of us."

Because I am really not that aware of the details what's going on there ( only logically projecting that since the plot with overthrowing Lukashenko and proceeding with "greater Poland" project didn't work out, of course the West would come up with some form of "punishment." )

And speaking of *coincidences* - now I am learning that Russians think that the latest escapades of the British "Defender" ( that was ordered by Boris Johnson himself, according to Russian news,) coincides with the attempt of the "Old Europe" ( namely Merkel and Macron) to arrange negotiations between "collective EU" and Putin.

(Obviously the "New Europe" ( i.e. Poland and Balts) are all up in arms against such negotiations.

Which only proves yet again that there is no such thing as one united EU.

Last edited by erasure; 06-26-2021 at 10:46 AM..

Old 06-28-2021, 01:24 PM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,864,028 times
Belarus has been taken over by a violent dictator and some on here predictably jump to defend him. Russians claim that Belarusians don't have the right to decide their own affairs or leaders. Hmm, I wonder why that is. Maybe because you don't like who they would choose and what path of development they want their country to take? Sounds familiar...

Old 06-28-2021, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKM View Post
Belarus has been taken over by a violent dictator and some on here predictably jump to defend him. Russians claim that Belarusians don't have the right to decide their own affairs or leaders. Hmm, I wonder why that is. Maybe because you don't like who they would choose and what path of development they want their country to take? Sounds familiar...

Because some of us are well aware what the nationalism really leads to, behind all these fancy-sounding words about "freedom and democracy."
Like in your abominable "free and democratic" Ukraine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQuKgvPHf2E

Ah yeah, it should go to "Ukraine" thread.
But no worries, I'll post it there too, and then some more.

Old 06-29-2021, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKM View Post
Belarus is making its own choices. Thanks to the destructive course of action EU nutters have brought to the situation.

https://www.rt.com/russia/527847-par...-system-merge/

Belarus doesn't need the EU.

Old 06-29-2021, 12:07 PM

5,766 posts, read 11,384,460 times
I wonder if Belarus tractor parts (from Minsk Tractor Works / MTZ) will continue to be available in the EU countries. I ride my bike all around the countryside outside of Chemnitz, and I have seen a few of them still working on the farms. Many of them are old models made during the era of the USSR and East Germany. I can tell they are the old models because many have the familiar sound of a two-stroke motor.

I don't know of many products that Belarus exports (or used to export) to the EU, besides tractors and some agricultural or food products.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe