Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2021, 06:50 AM

61,740 posts, read 87,172,581 times

Advertisements

This is off topic but FYI:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrat335 View Post
The Polish contingent there was the 4th largest group in country. They occupied/administered 1 of 4 zones Iraq was split up into and their portion was from Baghdad south east all the way to Basra. A major chunk of territory.
Polish commandos took part in security operations on Iraqi Oil Platforms.
Fearing a repeat of the destruction of Iraqi oil wells in the Gulf War by Saddam Hussein, this operation aimed to prevent similar acts that would have led to pollution of the region and loss of infrastructure.
Polish special forces performed the operation of securing the port of Umm Qasr.

The U.S.-led coalition sent 177,194 troops into Iraq during the initial invasion phase, which lasted from 19 March to 1 May 2003. About 130,000 arrived from the U.S. alone, with about 45,000 British soldiers, 2,000 Australian soldiers, and 194 Polish soldiers.

Poland had some 900 troops stationed in Iraq, down from a peak of 2,500 in the first years of the war.
The US had 146,000 troops there.

Quote:
It's there for anyone to go and read.

Poland was also found guilty of aiding in the torture of prisoners by the CIA.

https://www.euractiv.com/section/glo...-human-rights/
Poland has to take responsibility as I have said before.
They found guilty for failing to prevent illegal detention and torture and for failing to prosecute those responsible. They didn't torture or interrogate anyone. This was a CIA jail on their territory.
And yes, it IS a shame and very embarrassing.
However, aiding in a torture and failing to prevent isn't the same thing.

Now stay on the thread topic, please.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2021, 07:28 AM

5,955 posts, read 2,882,121 times
Quote:
But they sure like to advertise such things don't they? The West is paradise!!!!

You never hear the words "We're full" do you?
You hear that from the people never from the politicians..
Pols. in nearly all countries in the West ,act like 'Goody Two Shoes 'with immergration.

Old 11-16-2021, 07:28 AM

9,511 posts, read 5,448,119 times
I know all about what happened there in Iraq and the truth is there for anyone to find. If you can't discuss how a problem was created you can't solve it or prevent it in the future. It's a thing in the West I guess. Close the thread. I am out.

Last edited by Scrat335; 11-16-2021 at 08:45 AM..

Old 11-16-2021, 09:28 AM

2,289 posts, read 1,569,979 times
Quote:
I know all about what happened there in Iraq and the truth is there for anyone to find. If you can't discuss how a problem was created you can't solve it or prevent it in the future. It's a thing in the West I guess. Close the thread. I am out.
But where is there?

Old 11-16-2021, 09:43 AM

2,289 posts, read 1,569,979 times
Seems Vlad is getting a touch irritated with Luka, who also wants nukes, just BTW.

Quote:
POSSIBLE DE-ESCALATION — Belarus and its state-owned airline moved today to de-escalate a migrant standoff at the Polish border just as the EU moved forward on new sanctions against the country, Cory Bennett writes.

Belarusian leader Alexander Lukashenko said earlier today he was working to repatriate thousands of migrants now camped in freezing temperatures at the country’s Polish border. Belarus state airline Belavia also announced it would stop accepting travelers via Dubai from a number of Middle Eastern countries, and the Iraqi government said it was organizing a “voluntary†repatriation flight for its stranded citizens.

Taken together, the steps appear designed to defuse a potential powderkeg between Belarus and the EU — although the situation is far from resolved.

Even as Lukashenko said “active work is underway†to send migrants to their home country, he added a key caveat: “Nobody wants to go back.†And even if Belavia stops accepting travelers from the countries in question — the airline singled out Iraq, Syria, Yemen and Afghanistan — many other airlines, including several Russian operators, fly into Minsk.
Quote:
The EU targets "everyone!" The EU on Monday unanimously agreed to impose fresh sanctions on "everyone involved" in bringing migrants to the Belarus-Poland border, where a diplomatic and humanitarian crisis continues as thousands of asylum-seekers shiver in makeshift camps. Brussels says Belarusian dictator Alexander Lukashenko has deliberately created this crisis to strike back against existing EU sanctions that were imposed in response to his sham re-election last year and his hijacking of a RyanAir flight this summer. Reports show that Belarus loosened visa restrictions for migrants — largely from Iraq — to serve as a transit point for migrants hoping to cross the EU border to apply for asylum. Details of the new sanctions aren't yet decided, but they are likely to target political officials, travel agencies, and airlines. Lukashenko has vowed to fight back, but he won't cut off the Russian gas flows that traverse his country on the way to Europe — Vladimir Putin quickly slapped down that possibility after Lukashenko raised it over the weekend.

question remains: will EU sanctions change Belarus' behavior?

Old 11-16-2021, 03:31 PM

3,464 posts, read 2,791,738 times
From bad to worse.
https://www.cnn.com/2021/11/16/europ...ntl/index.html

Old 11-17-2021, 03:14 AM

5,214 posts, read 4,024,072 times
Why are cnn/deutche velle even a thing?? On a left wing site such as youtube their coverage of the standoff gets mostly negative tds, example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLHU7VUSofQ

On top of that being anti-poland here means they side with Putin and Belarus, I thought the west wasn't huge fan of Lukashenko and Putin but you always learn something new!

Old 11-17-2021, 03:18 AM

26,783 posts, read 22,561,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Very Man Himself View Post
Seems Vlad is getting a touch irritated with Luka, who also wants nukes, just BTW.

question remains: will EU sanctions change Belarus' behavior?
What "behavior" ?
Keeping the EU borders safe from the migrants?
And why should he?
He knows perfectly well that Polish culture is no different than Belorussian in spite of all the retorics of "freedom and democracy."
They don't want any of those migrants there. Even if the migrants demand the passage to Germany, some of them still might end up in Poland that barely wiggled out of the quotas imposed on them.
So yeah...
Lukashenko knows well what he is doing in revenge for an attempt to unseat him that was orchestrated via Poland.
And, as Russian politicians are saying, in case of success of this endeavor, "Belorussia would simply be gifted to Poland. It would have been even more straightforward operation than with Ukraine."

Yes, I am listening to 60 minutes sitting in Moscow for a change and I hate typing on my phone lol.
So pardon my brevity and my typos if any.

Old 11-17-2021, 03:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben young View Post
You hear that from the people never from the politicians..
Pols. in nearly all countries in the West ,act like 'Goody Two Shoes 'with immergration.
I think it becomes more and more obvious that "the people" and politicians represent two different things.
At best, the western politicians represent only a fraction of its people and act strictly in the interests of this fraction.

Old 11-17-2021, 03:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by euro123 View Post
Why are cnn/deutche velle even a thing?? On a left wing site such as youtube their coverage of the standoff gets mostly negative tds, example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLHU7VUSofQ

On top of that being anti-poland here means they side with Putin and Belarus, I thought the west wasn't huge fan of Lukashenko and Putin but you always learn something new!
They don't need to "side" with Lukashenko.
The conflict within EU exists without any Puuuutin and Lukashenko.
The "old Europe" is ruled by the "left" now and their sympathies to people of color.
Polish culture on another hand is socially conservative as in Russia and other Eastern European countries. None of them want influx of migrants from Asia and Africa.
Lukashenko simply exposed this internal conflict in revenge for Polish attempt to unseat him and to take over Belorussia.
And I suspect that he won't stop there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe