Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2022, 11:17 AM

16,225 posts, read 27,431,396 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suesbal View Post
Plain spaghetti or spaghetti moth meat sauce?
The moth meat sauce sounds...off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2022, 12:29 PM

3,462 posts, read 2,786,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
The moth meat sauce sounds...off.
I meant to type “with” meat.

Old 01-28-2022, 08:17 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post

Kath, stick with the old chestnuts: the stuffed cabbage rolls, the meat pies, a bowl or plate of dumplings maybe, and beef Stroganoff. You can't go wrong with certain traditional staples. I've never heard of cinnamon spaghetti, but I've never been to Poland.
I don't eat any of those very often and I certainly don't cook them, other than chicken and dumplings, and there are many many different stories on when these were invented and by which ethnicity, from China to Germany to God only knows where else.

I think the sweet cinnamonny spaghetti I had was actually Slovakia now that I think about it - anyway, someplace in Eastern Europe. It was in a restaurant - not a fancy one but a sit down one if that makes sense - and it was definitely sweet and definitely a meat sauce, tomato based.

Old 01-28-2022, 09:14 AM

3,881 posts, read 4,127,100 times
Poland traditionally has a lot of sweet pasta dishes..(like another poster mentioned...sort of like kugel). My family is all from Poland on my dads side but they generally weren't really fond of sweet noodles. They did have a few sweet/fruit Pierogi recipes tho and those were quite good.

Katherine- .... you def made the wrong choice for trying out some Polish food, lol.

In our family probably the 3 most prominent dishes on the family table were Pierogis, gawumpki, Kielbasa/sourkraut (not my fav..ugh). Christmas time brought out some good pastries tho! My Cioci made great chrusciki.

I don't think I really carried on much of anything outside of the Pierogis recipes tho. I don't eat pork so that eliminates a lot of what they do best in Poland... sausages.

Old 01-28-2022, 09:18 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by writerwife View Post
Poland traditionally has a lot of sweet pasta dishes..(like another poster mentioned...sort of like kugel). My family is all from Poland on my dads side but they generally weren't really fond of sweet noodles. They did have a few sweet/fruit Pierogi recipes tho and those were quite good.

Katherine- .... you def made the wrong choice for trying out some Polish food, lol.

In our family probably the 3 most prominent dishes on the family table were Pierogis, gawumpki, Kielbasa/sourkraut (not my fav..ugh). Christmas time brought out some good pastries tho! My Cioci made great chrusciki.

I don't think I really carried on much of anything outside of the Pierogis recipes tho. I don't eat pork so that eliminates a lot of what they do best in Poland... sausages.
Pretty sure it was Slovakia, not Poland and yes, I agree - it wasn't a good choice! I traveled through Poland later in the trip but I was pretty gun shy about any food that I wasn't familiar with by then! LOL NO MORE PICTURES ONLY. I found out quickly that something that looks the same as something I was familiar with might not be the same at all.

I'm sure there are good eastern European foods - I just didn't taste any that were significantly better than other cuisines. And I'm not a big meat person so there's that.

Old 01-28-2022, 10:48 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 2 days ago)

27,180 posts, read 13,461,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travel4Food View Post
Why does Polish, Czech, Russian or Ukranian cuisine is by no means as widespread as Italian, French, Spanish or even German cuisine.

Do those countries lack of distinctive Dishes?
It often depends on what immigrant populations bring with them.

In the US the Italian immigrant population on the East Coast was significant as was there cultural impact.

Chicago had a large polish population, and I believe there is a lot of polish influence in terms of their regional foods.

Street food markets across the world also have a selection of Eastern European dishes and especially sausages, which are very good.

The Russian ex-pat population has started to grow since the end of the Soviet Union, and there are some very upmarket Anglo - Russian restaurants such as Bob Bob Ricard, which has two restaurants in London, with more restaurants planned, including one in Tokyo. It serves what is described as a Russian-inspired Modern British menu and cocktails in cool art-deco surrounds.

Belini's and plenty of champagne and cocktails in beautiful surrounding being guaranteed.

Bob Bob Ricard

You always know you are in for a good night when you see this button beside your table.

Last edited by Brave New World; 01-28-2022 at 11:04 AM..

Old 01-30-2022, 01:12 AM

2,444 posts, read 3,583,980 times
Some blogger said something along the lines of "Good wine-countries make for good food-countries, bad wine countries usually has a good sausage or two with some beer or strong alcohol to flush it down and that's about it"

an exaggeration of course but there is something in it.

Old 01-30-2022, 05:23 PM

2,224 posts, read 1,327,980 times
Spain, Greece, France, Brazil and Italy are wine producing countries. But look at their lunch breaks:
* Spain: 3 hours
* Greece: 3 hours
* France: 2 hours
* Brazil: 2 hours
* Italy: 90 minutes
China is not know for their wine, yet their lunch break can be as long as 2 hours.
https://www.rd.com/list/countries-wi...-lunch-breaks/

Old 01-31-2022, 04:23 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,026,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwedishViking View Post
Some blogger said something along the lines of "Good wine-countries make for good food-countries, bad wine countries usually has a good sausage or two with some beer or strong alcohol to flush it down and that's about it"

an exaggeration of course but there is something in it.
Germany produces fine wines and good sausages.

Old 01-31-2022, 06:02 PM

2,304 posts, read 2,962,618 times
When i first moved to NYC in the 70s there were plenty of Eastern European restaurants-Czech, Polish, Ukrainian; Hungarian. And they served delicious food. As the immigration population declined or assimilated, they too declined and are all gone. Perhaps they were also victims of the stereotype "heavy" food, meat and potatoes . I missed them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe