Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2011, 09:45 AM

2,420 posts, read 3,850,179 times

Advertisements

Jump roping is one of the best exercises you can perform to build your endurance. Its normal to run out of breath when you first start. Its a gradual progression. I would suggest you jump rope in sets. Try 10- 2 minute sets at a slow rate and rest for 30 seconds between sets. Try this for two weeks and gradually increase the sets along with your effort/pace. I jump rope as part of my training for racing bicycles.

-Cheers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2011, 09:50 AM

7,841 posts, read 19,000,942 times
Jumping rope is a great exercise. It is also really hard on the ankles, knees, hips, and lower back so I no longer do it very often. When I do jump rope, to alleviate most of the harmful joint stress, I use a rebounder (mini trampoline ).

Old 08-18-2011, 01:27 PM

3,184 posts, read 4,847,793 times
Even when I had pretty good endurance I was very surprised by how difficult jump roping was. I was breathing hard in a matter of minutes and worked up a heck of a sweat over the course of my workout. I only did it a couple times because my calves were sore like none other for days afterward. I was so sore it probably could've been classified as an injury since it hurt just to walk.

Old 08-18-2011, 02:26 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,742,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
Those kids are pretty good, but its not motivating for someone who wants to do it as a way to get fit. YouTube Buddy Lee for complete fitness motivation. Kids do junk. USA Olympian Buddy Lee is where its at for rope skipping fitness. Plus, he has some good instructional vids out there. People who dont know how to jump, MISTAKENLY think jump rope is high impact when is FACT it is NOT. They just think "Jumping" is high impact, when in reality, it is totally not.

Jump Rope - Buddy Lee - YouTube
It was for me.

Old 08-20-2011, 11:00 AM

10,363 posts, read 20,801,723 times
I believe I read in another thread that you're pretty overweight bson, so just add a little more when you can. Of course it's going to kick your butt--jumproping is intense exercise. So, keep up what you're doing, and if you can only jump 20 jumps today, then aim for 30 next week and keep a chart to motivate you and so you can see your progress.

Old 08-20-2011, 11:44 AM

2,754 posts, read 6,101,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bson1257 View Post
I can only do it for a very short period of time before I am out of breath. Should I keep trying to jump rope or do some other cardio to lose more weight before continuing with the jump rope?
Jump roping is one of the most intense cardio exercise out there. In fact, I'd reckon that maybe less than half of all people who consider themselves "fit" could jump rope for more than three minutes at a time.
Take a break; try another, less-intense aerobic exercise like jogging or cycling for a bit, and then return to the jumping. Beware of lower back or knee problems to when jumping rope; it's not for anyone.

Old 08-21-2011, 10:40 AM

83 posts, read 133,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrummerBoy View Post
Jump roping is one of the most intense cardio exercise out there. In fact, I'd reckon that maybe less than half of all people who consider themselves "fit" could jump rope for more than three minutes at a time.
Take a break; try another, less-intense aerobic exercise like jogging or cycling for a bit, and then return to the jumping. Beware of lower back or knee problems to when jumping rope; it's not for anyone.
That is interesting that you think that less than half of people who consider themselves fit could jump rope for 3 minutes. I consider myself to be in above average shape but nothing too special and I can go for 10 minutes without breaking a sweat.

Also I have never had knee or back problems from jumping rope. Make sure you do it on a wooden floor or something that gives back a bit.

Old 08-21-2011, 11:28 AM

645 posts, read 1,276,196 times
When I first began jumping rope, I couldn’t do it for very long. I would generally get frustrated and I’d either run or ride bicycle instead. I didn’t understand why I had such problems with it until I began boxing. There I was taught that the type of rope being used is as critical as the form with which you skip rope. A rawhide jump rope is key. I used to wet mine so it would go faster. Additionally, if you’re lifting your feet more than a inch off the ground while jumping, you’re wearing yourself out. You really want to skip the rope, not jump it. Once taught, I could skip rope like a professional boxer.

One thing I noticed when I boxed, if I wore anything but flat sneakers while skipping rope, the muscles on the fronts of my forelegs would quickly tire, burn, and become fatigued. Typical sneakers wouldn’t work for me. I had to wear a flat bottomed sole like Chuck Taylor high tops have.

Old 10-02-2019, 05:20 AM

1 posts, read 3,360 times
Guys, I like that you do this exercise to become more strong and get your breath better. But this not only about power. I use exercises with a rope to increase my results in technic. To make you jump easier and faster. And there are different ropes for different types of activity. I will try to show you, yes, this one [url=https://bestjumprope.review/15-best-jump-ropes/]https://bestjumprope.review/15-best-jump-ropes/[/url].

Old 10-03-2019, 01:35 PM

22,339 posts, read 29,439,446 times
I'm in shape and I'd probably almost croak if I attempted to jump rope
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness