Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2012, 10:19 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,385,616 times

Advertisements

It's a suck-fest. Still 137 in 10 mins is pretty solid! It take me about 9:15 to do 100, currently, so I'd be well short of your mark.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2012, 10:30 AM

7,841 posts, read 19,000,942 times
It's all relative. Those of who take the time to exercise, even if we are very early into our program, are likely to have a higher level of fitness than MOST of the worlds population. But what do we do? Instead of patting ourselves on the back for that fact, we compare ourselves to the super fit and come away feeling downhearted. That's a really dis-empowering practice that subtley undermines our efforts. Just remember this...if you are in a state of not feeling good about yourself while working out, those feelings become structured into whatever muscles and body systems we are engaging, and those feelings will stay there, unconscioulsy pulling us down, until we conscioulsy release them.

Old 03-23-2012, 10:39 AM

355 posts, read 1,115,603 times
Thanks hooligan

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
It's all relative. Those of who take the time to exercise, even if we are very early into our program, are likely to have a higher level of fitness than MOST of the worlds population. But what do we do? Instead of patting ourselves on the back for that fact, we compare ourselves to the super fit and come away feeling downhearted. That's a really dis-empowering practice that subtley undermines our efforts. Just remember this...if you are in a state of not feeling good about yourself while working out, those feelings become structured into whatever muscles and body systems we are engaging, and those feelings will stay there, unconscioulsy pulling us down, until we conscioulsy release them.
Very true CW. Fortunately, I'm the type who will be motivated when I see those super-fit guys out there kicking my butt in lifts, exercises, etc (like that tommodonahue guy )

Seeing/reading about them only pushes me to work harder.

Old 03-23-2012, 11:20 AM

Well, If you can work harder AND feel good while you are working harder, then more power to you. I've not been able to master that. But I'd venture a guess that you are often times working harder with a bit of frustration thrown into the mix. If/when that happens, those feelings will get structured into your musculature.

EG: Back in my high school days, I one time had to run extra laps assigned by my track coach for coming late to practice. I was pretty pissed off at him while I was running those laps. 15 years later, during a rolfing session on my thighs, all that anger that had been structured into my thighs from running while angry, came to the surface. It was deja vu all over again.

Old 03-23-2012, 12:05 PM

3,378 posts, read 9,210,139 times
Not a thing! Wow I was lazy today.

Old 03-23-2012, 12:09 PM

wankel....are you sure it was laziness? Taking a break from working out is not always a sign of laziness. There are times when NOT working out it is a sign of wisdom.....and respect for your body.

Old 03-23-2012, 02:42 PM

609 posts, read 2,243,830 times
P90X - Legs and Back today evening in an hour or so. Still sore after Yoga X

Old 03-25-2012, 09:45 AM

3,378 posts, read 9,210,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
wankel....are you sure it was laziness? Taking a break from working out is not always a sign of laziness. There are times when NOT working out it is a sign of wisdom.....and respect for your body.
It was a funk

But today I ran in a four mile race in 25:22 and had to make two round trips to work on the bike.....so 20 miles ... much better day

Old 03-26-2012, 12:08 AM

355 posts, read 1,115,603 times
23 miles on my new bike!!

Old 03-26-2012, 12:27 AM

6,414 posts, read 10,493,911 times
Today was my third time cycling with the bicycling team I joined for a 545 mile charity ride this summer. We rode off together as a group of nine, but a violent hail storm and cold drenching rain made three leave right off the bat. Us six remaining slug it out and in half an hour the sun came out for the remaining of our ride. We rode north along the coast for about 20 miles, returned the way we came for a short while and turned inland another ten, took several steep hills and returned along a farming valley road for a total of 53 miles for the trip. My first time doing over 45 and that was last weekend. The five others today are in their 20's and I am 52. There are 14 of us and I am second oldest with the oldest being 58. The youngest is 20 and five are women. My legs are sore, but its the part I sit on that hurts the most.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness