Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2014, 06:54 PM

11,879 posts, read 14,241,529 times

Advertisements

Hey guys, so the gym was closed for the past week due to spring break at the university and I really did not do much in the way of working out (Laziness, what else ). I still follow very strict diet practice though. I have limited myself to 2 meals per day, increased my intake of pulses, fruits & veggies, and avoided food with sources of fat. I consume an average of 1970 calories per day (Is this way too much ?). I am a 21 year old man. My current height, weight, and body fat percentages are 6'0", 181.7 lb, and 20.4% respectively. How much fat would I gain by the beginning of next week. I need reasonably good answers, because it will help me set myself up for further weight loss during the upcoming weeks. My goal weight is 172 lb by memorial day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2014, 07:11 PM

16,959 posts, read 17,386,080 times
Here, punch in the numbers and get your answer.

Weight Loss Calculator | Calculate Calories Needed for Weight Loss

Old 03-20-2014, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post
Here, punch in the numbers and get your answer.

Weight Loss Calculator | Calculate Calories Needed for Weight Loss
Hey, that's not too bad. Cutting down 200 calories is no big deal for me. I will start working out from Monday onward, and cut down on food.

Old 03-20-2014, 07:35 PM

2,183 posts, read 2,643,663 times
one could lose fat over the course of a week with no exercise done at all. All depends on energy intake when it comes to fat loss. If you aren't seeing results then stop eating so much, basically that's what ya gotta do.

Old 03-20-2014, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tofur View Post
one could lose fat over the course of a week with no exercise done at all. All depends on energy intake when it comes to fat loss. If you aren't seeing results then stop eating so much, basically that's what ya gotta do.
I find it very hard to sustain myself on less than 1700 calories per day though. I get dizzy under such conditions.

Old 03-20-2014, 07:56 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,940,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi from the Brunswicks View Post
I have limited myself to 2 meals per day, increased my intake of pulses, fruits & veggies, and avoided food with sources of fat.
You might want to spread this among several small meals throughout the day. That helps maintain a steady level of energy, rather than spikes right after eating that are followed by a physically blah feeling during long gaps between meals.

Quote:
I consume an average of 1970 calories per day (Is this way too much ?).
You've left out a key piece of information, which is the amount of exercise you get. Off the top of my head, I'd guess that you wouldn't want to go much lower if you're at all active.

Try this as a guideline for the number of calories you burn:

Calorie Calculator.

You may also want to look at some of the other calculators on this search page:

https://www.google.com/search?q=calo...x-a&channel=sb.

They give slightly different results, but they'll give you the general idea about how many calories you burn. Different ones of these websites have different ways to calculate your level of activity, so you may find one to be a better fit than some of the others, for describing the type and amount of exercise you get.

Quote:
I am a 21 year old man. My current height, weight, and body fat percentages are 6'0", 181.7 lb, and 20.4% respectively. How much fat would I gain by the beginning of next week.
If you've been exercising regularly for some time, one week off probably won't have any effect on gaining weight or fat. Exercise seems to cause changes in the body's functioning over time, which can affect your metabolism. These changes aren't going to be reversed by one week off. In fact, some people who exercise hard actually schedule a week off every several months, to give the body a break from the strain of heavy workouts.

Quote:
I need reasonably good answers, because it will help me set myself up for further weight loss during the upcoming weeks. My goal weight is 172 lb by memorial day.
That would be an average loss of about a pound per week. That's a nice, steady rate, so that's good. I'm curious, though, about why you've chosen 172 as your goal. I'm not saying it's not a good goal. It may well be. It all depends on why you want to reach this particular weight, and whether you'd have a healthy percentage of body fat at that weight (which in turn depends on what percentage of your weight is muscle mass).

Old 03-20-2014, 08:30 PM

2,183 posts, read 2,643,663 times
Quote:
I find it very hard to sustain myself on less than 1700 calories per day though. I get dizzy under such conditions.
please. I'm 6'2, 203 pounds @ 12-14%bf and I can eat 1700 calories and feel fine, a tad bit hollow at the end of the day, but that's it. If I'm working on leaning out that's what I drop my caloric intake to on rest days, sometimes even lower. I'd say it's not the energy intake levels making you dizzy, it's the makeup of the calories vs. what your specific body needs to run optimally.

Old 03-20-2014, 08:43 PM

16,959 posts, read 17,386,080 times
Quote:
Its probably because you wait too long in between meals and your body becomes hypoglycemic. Try breaking up your 1600-1700 calories into five meals, instead of two big meals a day; your metabolism will benefit from doing this too.

Old 03-20-2014, 09:18 PM

3,452 posts, read 4,628,505 times
Depends on how many calories you ate each day of the week. I am a big guy and have gained as much as 4-5 pounds over a holiday break like Thanksgiving. I would say on average if you EXCEED your maintainance level of daily calories you are going to gain a 1 or 2 pounds.

Old 03-20-2014, 09:23 PM

1,636 posts, read 3,171,705 times
Quote:
Hey guys, so the gym was closed for the past week due to spring break at the university and I really did not do much in the way of working out (Laziness, what else ). I still follow very strict diet practice though. I have limited myself to 2 meals per day, increased my intake of pulses, fruits & veggies, and avoided food with sources of fat. I consume an average of 1970 calories per day (Is this way too much ?). I am a 21 year old man. My current height, weight, and body fat percentages are 6'0", 181.7 lb, and 20.4% respectively. How much fat would I gain by the beginning of next week. I need reasonably good answers, because it will help me set myself up for further weight loss during the upcoming weeks. My goal weight is 172 lb by memorial day.
Don't beat yourself up over a week off. Think of it as a well deserved break, and hopefully you are rested up to get back into it!

We all need time off. I've had work interfere with my life to the point where I can't get to the gym for a week or so. It makes you so much more motivated to get back into it!

Diet is very important. Unless you are training for an event (you're an elite runner or something), a week will hardly make a dent in your overall capacity. Unless you were bingeing on McDonalds daily, you should be fine!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness