Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2014, 10:58 AM

101 posts, read 165,295 times

Advertisements

A sandwich has about 500 calories. Power walking for an hour burns about 500 calories.

Let's assume those numbers are correct.

Why should I choose to exercise for an entire hour rather than just skip the sandwich?

I do not understand the economics of exercise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2014, 11:01 AM

29,748 posts, read 34,409,851 times
Exercise has other benefits besides burning calories or weight loss. It builds strength and fitness, it helps with conditions like high blood pressure and diabetes, among other things, and it boosts mood.

Old 08-06-2014, 11:16 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,718,061 times
If you're overeating by 500 calories a day then you probably should skip the sandwich. But like fleetiebelle said, exercise has other benefits than just burning calories.

Old 08-06-2014, 11:52 AM

214 posts, read 230,892 times
Fasting is NOT and never has been a viable weight-loss strategy.

Regular excercise and a healthy, low-fat & low-sugar diet HAVE been proved time and again to work, however. In fact, this is the ONLY real means to lose weight permanently and increase your health.

The problem with fasting is that when you do it, say, go more than 10 hours or so without eating, your body goes into a sort of "starvation mode" so it is going to latch onto and then store every single available calorie--especially fat cals--the next time you eat. This is why it has been proven that people who skip breakfast often actually gain weight.

Your "skip the sandwich instead of exercise" is only viable for the shirt term. That is: sure, for that particualr day you will cut your overall net calorie intake, and maybe wake-up the next morning a lb. lighter, but skipping meals is not a longterm strategy; it's detrimental.
And you might not even drop a pound or so that day, since we are all likely to simply over-indulge in our next meal--after skipping the previous one--and thus negate any possible short-term weight-loss.

Old 08-06-2014, 12:15 PM

8,087 posts, read 9,844,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksoviero View Post
A sandwich has about 500 calories. Power walking for an hour burns about 500 calories.

Let's assume those numbers are correct.

Why should I choose to exercise for an entire hour rather than just skip the sandwich?

I do not understand the economics of exercise.
We do.

If you do not then too bad for you. Darwin wins.

Old 08-06-2014, 12:22 PM

3,308 posts, read 4,562,130 times
Exercise helps build your metabolism, so you could exercise for 1/2 hour and then eat 1/2 that sandwich and you'd probably be all good.

Old 08-06-2014, 12:49 PM

515 posts, read 1,004,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hombre_Corriendo View Post
Fasting is NOT and never has been a viable weight-loss strategy.

Regular excercise and a healthy, low-fat & low-sugar diet HAVE been proved time and again to work, however. In fact, this is the ONLY real means to lose weight permanently and increase your health.

The problem with fasting is that when you do it, say, go more than 10 hours or so without eating, your body goes into a sort of "starvation mode" so it is going to latch onto and then store every single available calorie--especially fat cals--the next time you eat. This is why it has been proven that people who skip breakfast often actually gain weight.

Your "skip the sandwich instead of exercise" is only viable for the shirt term. That is: sure, for that particualr day you will cut your overall net calorie intake, and maybe wake-up the next morning a lb. lighter, but skipping meals is not a longterm strategy; it's detrimental.
And you might not even drop a pound or so that day, since we are all likely to simply over-indulge in our next meal--after skipping the previous one--and thus negate any possible short-term weight-loss.
Low fat has not been proven time and time again to work. Low calories has. Fat is good

10 Dieting Myths | wellwvu | West Virginia University

Fats and Cholesterol: Out with the Bad, In with the Good | The Nutrition Source | Harvard School of Public Health

Starvation mode is a myth

How do I stay out of "starvation mode?" | Examine.com FAQ

Starvation Mode: Is It A Myth? Is It Real? Is Your Body In It Now?

Old 08-06-2014, 02:15 PM

6,102 posts, read 8,824,977 times
Weight loss is just a small component to the benefit of exercise.

Old 08-06-2014, 02:29 PM

19,044 posts, read 27,620,833 times
And I exercised and gained weight. Intentionally. And exercised, and lost weight. Intentionally. Diet and exercise are only complimentary to overall healthy life style.
Also, was mentioned that fasting was "never" a viable weight loss modality. I have to disagree and mention that, virtually all faiths have fasting included, to some extant. Never is likely an over statement.

Old 08-06-2014, 02:41 PM

214 posts, read 230,892 times

To say "fat is good" is a gross over-generalization.

It is only beneficial in moderation, as are all things!

And trans fats should be TOTALLY avoided at all costs.

And, while it is true that "fats" as a whole were unduly demonized in the 1990s, anyone seeking to trim their gut line and lose weight, that is, cut their overall bodyfat percentage and gain muscle mass, should STILL consume LESS fat than someone who is already lean (with a proper BMI) and exercises.

And even Saturated Fats should be kept to a bare minimum. The only Good fats are the Omega 3, 6s, and 9s. Always try to eat poly-unsat or mono-unsat fats.

I must confess I did not bother reading your links. I always say the proof is in the pudding. That is: I am a lifelong athlete, former college track guy, I still run 20 miles a week, I have trained runners and athletes for 20 years. I have a degree in human biology. I know what works. My BMI is 22.5. My body fat is around 13%. (what's yours?) And I have always found that my fitness level and performance decrease a tad when I have been letting my sat fat intake escalate a bit...like in the case of ice cream, my weakness!!

Ergo..........I stick to my original post in this matter.

But thanks for sharing!!

So I', not gonna mince words and/or engage in trading links
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness