Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2017, 09:48 PM

30,267 posts, read 23,751,941 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
When I hear this I think that people must mean the obvious "bad" carbs like refined sugar, bread, pasta, rice, cutting back on the corn and potatoes.

I mean you can't cut out carbs all together, even greens and veggies have some carbs and you can't eat just meat and eggs so really there isn't a way to completely cut out carbs, it's just the insulin spiking ones we wanna limit.
This is correct. Some veggies indeed have carbs. The point is that you don't want to go over a certain amount of carbs. Of course my salads have some carbs, but not many because I don't add on the croutons, I don't add on the thick, salad dressing. I used to hate bits of bacon on my salad, now it adds just the right touch to top it all off.

Stay away from the foods you mentioned at the top.

I still will drink milk, however. Depending on where I live, I can sometimes find low carb milk. Just a slightly different taste but just as good. If I can't find that milk, I will still drink a small glass a day. I just add that in to my overall carb count for the day...because I do not even care, I am drinking my milk. It's like a treat. I used to drink about half a gallon a day, that's how much I love milk.

You can splurge sometimes...eat a slice of pizza or two, every once in awhile...but I have found that as time goes on, I don't like a lot of things that I used to like. Chocolate chip cookies are now way too sweet. I can't drink regular pop anymore because it feels like drinking sugar and I can feel it coat my teeth. (I will drink a diet Coke every so often, or Sprite or something if I want the carbonation), I don't like bread or most "bread like" products anyway (cake, donuts, toast, bagels..meh), so that was easy. Every once in awhile I will want a sandwich, but I leave most of the bread behind. Never really cared for regular rice, (just the fried rice), potatoes were hard to get over...and no matter how many times someone tries to say that their "cauliflower 'mashed potato' replacement" tastes like mashed potatoes (big, fat lie), there is no replacement for those.

Anyway, yes, if you eat a healthy diet, you cannot cut out all carbs. And even some veggies, when starting out with this type of eating should be avoided during the first two weeks. There's a good list (can be found in Atkin's books or on the internet) of which ones to avoid until your first two weeks are over. Then you can have them, but don't eat too many as the carb count will add up fast. Stick with the veggies that are lower in carbs for daily meals.

When I started this way back when, before there were all the online sources, before there were all these food products in stores to make it easier for someone to transition, I read Atkin's book, and I went gung ho.

He says under 20g for the first 2 weeks so you can get in to ketosis. I said, "nope, I'm going full on 0", and I did that for a month. I ate zero carbs for a month. However, you can't do that long term as you need veggies.

Going 0 for a month, I lost weight so fast, that the people who came in to the club every single weekend, (one of my 4 jobs at the time was bartender and barback) spread rumors that I must have been doing drugs.

Nope. Just cut all carbs out completely for a single month. I do not recommend that people do that, I chose to do it, I'm not advocating it. Regardless, when you cut the carbs, you will lose weight fast, and it's not "just water weight", it's actual weight and inches. And as stated before, my energy level went through the roof. I didn't feel sluggish, I wasn't tired all the time, I never get sick...to be fair, I never really got sick in my life anyway before that, I feel better, I look better. Don't care what naysayers say, it works well for me. And last August, my doctor decided to run as many tests as possible (new doc), so vampire lab lady took about 60 vials of my blood. The only thing that was low was my vitamin D...which if I would just go outside more, would be resolved on its own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2017, 06:46 AM

4,978 posts, read 5,772,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
... when you cut the carbs, you will lose weight fast, and it's not "just water weight", it's actual weight and inches. And as stated before, my energy level went through the roof. I didn't feel sluggish, I wasn't tired all the time, I never get sick...to be fair, I never really got sick in my life anyway before that, I feel better, I look better. Don't care what naysayers say, it works well for me. And last August, my doctor decided to run as many tests as possible (new doc), so vampire lab lady took about 60 vials of my blood. The only thing that was low was my vitamin D...which if I would just go outside more, would be resolved on its own.
Yes, yes, yes!

I have found so many benefits to eating keto...the energy level is AMAZING! The sleep quality is spectacular. I wake refreshed before my alarm is set to go off. Hair and skin are in the best shape ever. Psoriasis spots are gone. BP is great. Blood work is excellent. I have not had even a cold since eating keto. No morning film on teeth. I'll always eat keto. I love it and it's perfect for me.

I do take a D3 supplement daily - 5000 IU.

In real life, I will never tell anyone else how to eat...that's for them to figure out. However, if someone ASKS what I do, I'll be happy to tell them.

Old 04-28-2017, 07:21 AM

5,280 posts, read 6,217,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
Really like what?

Here is a snickers bar:

https://www.fatsecret.com/calories-n...c/snickers-bar

Perhaps you'd like to explain the difference between having that healthy potato and healthy brie cheese together.

That would be more like potato chips, and we all know potato chips are nothing like a candy bar, don't we?

You need to read the smaller items/break downs. A decent sized potato has on 4g sugar, 7g fiber and 7g protein. The snickers bar you list has 28g sugar, 1g fiber and 5g protein- plus it has saturated fat. The potato is kicking the Snickers' rear end by anyones measure. Add a little greek yogurt, onion, sprinkle of cheese and it only increases the worth of that potato.

I'm not sure how anyone can validate 28g of sugar being better than 4g- and its not like we are talking about a fruit that also provides other nutrients.

Old 04-28-2017, 08:52 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,824,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpeatie View Post
You need to read the smaller items/break downs. A decent sized potato has on 4g sugar, 7g fiber and 7g protein. The snickers bar you list has 28g sugar, 1g fiber and 5g protein- plus it has saturated fat. The potato is kicking the Snickers' rear end by anyones measure. Add a little greek yogurt, onion, sprinkle of cheese and it only increases the worth of that potato.

I'm not sure how anyone can validate 28g of sugar being better than 4g- and its not like we are talking about a fruit that also provides other nutrients.
Its called a false equivalency and this poster loves using them.

Old 04-28-2017, 08:56 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,491,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
Its called a false equivalency and this poster loves using them.
And that poster is around to just argue ad infinitum. The posts often lack a real point..he's just...there. Every single post you make will have a response from him. People need to just stop wasting keystrokes and ignore him

Old 04-28-2017, 09:34 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,824,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
And that poster is around to just argue ad infinitum. The posts often lack a real point..he's just...there. Every single post you make will have a response from him. People need to just stop wasting keystrokes and ignore him
Good advice.

Old 04-28-2017, 02:40 PM

30,267 posts, read 23,751,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpeatie View Post

I'm old school, (meaning I count every carb as if it were sugar), so when I look at that label, I see 36.83g of carbs and 1.4g of fiber. Subtract that 1.4 of fiber from the carbs, and you're left with 35.43g of carbs, for one little thing, and all of it simple carbs...or what I call, "pointless carbs". There's no real benefit. You subtract the fiber from the carb count because it's pretty much going to go right through you.

But what about the other 35.43g of carbs in just that one little chocolate bar, not even considering all of the other carbs eaten that day.

Compare that to a potato with some brie cheese:

A medium white potato has about 37g of carbs and just under 5g of fiber. You're left with 32g of carbs.

https://www.google.com/search?q=what...arbs+in+potato

Brie cheese has 0.6 (so not even a gram) of carbs, and that's for a cup of it. You're going to easily burn through that 0.6 during the day.

https://www.google.com/search?q=what...in+brie+cheese

(I chose to link to search so that you can see the information, but you're also welcome to search all of those sites if you don't like what you see.)

But you still have 32g of carbs from the potato. The difference is, the potato has complex carbs compared to the Snicker's bar which has simple carbs. Simple carbs break down fast, complex carbs take your body awhile to break down.

What happens when carbohydrates break down slowly? You feel fuller. And anyone who has eaten a medium potato with some cheese on it or on the side will know that a potato is going to make you feel fuller longer than a Snicker's bar, or any other type of sugary food.

That Snicker's bar will not fill you up like a medium potato and a CUP of brie cheese. You will eat more if you decide to have a Snicker's bar over a potato because you will get hungry sooner than if you ate the potato.

Having said all of that, because I'm old school with the carb count, I wouldn't recommend people eat a lot of potatoes on their low carb lifestyle, either, because once your glycogen levels are full, those carbs are going to sit there and turn in to fat. But they are a far sight better than a Snicker's bar.

Old 04-28-2017, 03:04 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,491,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
I'm old school, (meaning I count every carb as if it were sugar), so when I look at that label, I see 36.83g of carbs and 1.4g of fiber. Subtract that 1.4 of fiber from the carbs, and you're left with 35.43g of carbs, for one little thing, and all of it simple carbs...or what I call, "pointless carbs". There's no real benefit. You subtract the fiber from the carb count because it's pretty much going to go right through you.

But what about the other 35.43g of carbs in just that one little chocolate bar, not even considering all of the other carbs eaten that day.

Compare that to a potato with some brie cheese:

A medium white potato has about 37g of carbs and just under 5g of fiber. You're left with 32g of carbs.

https://www.google.com/search?q=what...arbs+in+potato

Brie cheese has 0.6 (so not even a gram) of carbs, and that's for a cup of it. You're going to easily burn through that 0.6 during the day.

https://www.google.com/search?q=what...in+brie+cheese

(I chose to link to search so that you can see the information, but you're also welcome to search all of those sites if you don't like what you see.)

But you still have 32g of carbs from the potato. The difference is, the potato has complex carbs compared to the Snicker's bar which has simple carbs. Simple carbs break down fast, complex carbs take your body awhile to break down.

What happens when carbohydrates break down slowly? You feel fuller. And anyone who has eaten a medium potato with some cheese on it or on the side will know that a potato is going to make you feel fuller longer than a Snicker's bar, or any other type of sugary food.

That Snicker's bar will not fill you up like a medium potato and a CUP of brie cheese. You will eat more if you decide to have a Snicker's bar over a potato because you will get hungry sooner than if you ate the potato.

Having said all of that, because I'm old school with the carb count, I wouldn't recommend people eat a lot of potatoes on their low carb lifestyle, either, because once your glycogen levels are full, those carbs are going to sit there and turn in to fat. But they are a far sight better than a Snicker's bar.
I agree that for satiation, for me at least, things are best together (i.e. carb, protein, and fat). My body easily goes through any of those singly, though I admit I couldn't stomach straight up fat. If I eat a potato, it is usually accompanied by fat or a piece of meat. One exception is air popped popcorn. The volume of the popcorn does a pretty good job of filling me up. If one has to choose between quick snack type things, it's a big bang for your caloric buck..though yeah, I know low carb folks won't touch it. You watch carbs and I keep tab on calories. At the end of the day, we are all paying more attention to what we consume

Old 04-28-2017, 03:57 PM

4,745 posts, read 5,577,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
That's what I'm going to do.

Old 04-28-2017, 04:53 PM

4,852 posts, read 3,650,271 times
Love ignore function.

We all have our opinions, our diets, and and the end of the day, it's what works best for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness