Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2018, 12:36 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,537,635 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter Sucks View Post
I am a mid 50's woman and weigh 122 pounds.
Right..
I see more fat teens and 20 something.
It's todays culture.

If you like this trainer you should keep going there. Don't judge her based on her weight. My best friend is 110 pounds, 5'6" and she is in awful shape. We used to laugh about it because people thinks the opposite when they see her. When we are out walking she gets tiered after only a mile or so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2018, 12:53 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,368,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koshka2 View Post
She is an instructor in a class as I understand it. She isn't giving eating advice. We weren't even asked about whether we would go to her as a personal trainer. She is simply teaching a class.

If she gained 50 pounds then she is overeating. She has a calorie surplus. She is probably doing fine on the exercise end of things, but is simply eating too many calories.

What does that have to do with her competence in teaching a Zumba (or whatever) class? To me, it just doesn't. I probably wouldn't go to her for losing weight advice. But, that isn't her function in this class. She isn't advertising a method to lose weight. She is simply tasked with teaching the class which doesn't sound like it is a nutrition class or a diet class. It is an exercise class. Being overweight doesn't keep her from knowing how to do the moves required for the class.
You know this information for sure because you are her personal physician and know her complete health history?

OP: There are many people who have a college education who are still ignorant yet no one questions their abilities or looks; isn't that the same as the situation you describe?

Old 02-03-2018, 12:57 PM

13,449 posts, read 15,539,837 times
Listen if being overweight got in the way of her making money she'd either lose weight or find another line of work. She's still teaching and in all likelihood she gets paid by the class, so regardless if the offended fit people drop out she's doing decently. Fitness instructors can put on weight...that's not unheard of. Now it just sounds like you're being catty op.

Old 02-03-2018, 01:01 PM

4,927 posts, read 5,332,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
I'd be inclined to think, based on this post and the ones that you posted afterward, that the problem is with your attitude and not with her ability to lead a fitness class.

Why did you start this thread, just to fling around a few pejorative words to describe her appearance? Congratulations - I bet you feel so much better about yourself now.

Bingo, on all points.
I agree to this completely, however, if OP feels that he/she is not getting 'pumped up' for this class due to the extra pounds of the instructor and not being 'motivated enough', move on. Find somewhere, someplace, someone who will meet the 'standards' which are satisfactory.

Unless of course the intention is to get this woman 'relieved of her duties' in which case I would have to say that would be in 'bad form', JMHO of course.

For a few years I had been taking various water aerobics classes which fit in perfectly with my work hours. The woman who taught the classes was an older woman who walked with a cane and had an obvious disability and I evaluated her on what she 'did for me' as far as the workouts.

Her instructions were all verbal from poolside and fortunately her ability to instruct and explain were excellent. I stayed with those classes until she 'retired' from teaching. I think her disability progressed to the point where it became too much for her to even get to the classes.

The lady who replaced her was younger, in great shape but in my opinion did not have what it took to teach or motivate, too enamored with her own sense of self importance.

As they say (to the OP) YMMV.

Old 02-03-2018, 01:03 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,537,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComeCloser View Post
What are you babbling about?
Just because you think I am Winter's exercise instructor doesn't mean all women are confused like this.

you are obviously an overweight 50 year old woman since you know so much about them.

Old 02-03-2018, 01:08 PM

4,004 posts, read 2,093,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
you are obviously an overweight 50 year old woman since you know so much about them.
As much as you are obviously an argumentative drunk since you named yourself after a drink.

However, we should get back on topic.

Old 02-03-2018, 01:59 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,875,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
I'm still trying to figure out what getting married has to do with this.
It is a long time favorite excuse for things such as weight gain and not care about themselves.

Old 02-03-2018, 01:59 PM

9,474 posts, read 11,233,966 times
Quote:
Would you be less inclined to take classes with an exercise leader who has put on about 50 pounds over the past five years, not due to a medical issue, just the old 'got married and gained weight'?
No. I once met a dietitian who was 50 or more pounds overweight. Maybe 100.
Not that I'd consult a dietitian anyway, but if I did it sure wouldn't have been her.

Fruits of their labors and all that.

Old 02-03-2018, 03:40 PM

6,831 posts, read 10,558,663 times
Depends on if it affects their job capabilities. I know plenty of heavier people who can work out more and are stronger and more fit than skinny people.

Old 02-03-2018, 08:42 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,152,385 times
Quote:
. It's just not a good look to see a tubby exercise leader. Women who are in better shape than her show up once, and then don't return.
Quote:
I agree. The leader shouldn't look in worse shape than the rest of the class.
Quote:
Yes, she KNOWS the moves, but as I said, the extra weight is affecting her stamina and form. Her large belly is getting in the way.
Your comments are offense. PLEASE find another gym.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness