Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2009, 09:12 AM

4,589 posts, read 13,165,593 times

Advertisements

I can totally lift a truck...

Common guys.....really? It shouldn't matter how much you can lift or how "strong" you are or how many supplements you pump yourself full of.......I've stressed how personal working out is, who are any of you to judge anyone on anything related to how they take care of their bodies?? Why do you care? We should be here to motivate, inspire and provide valuable information......grow up guys.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2009, 09:20 AM

7,841 posts, read 19,000,942 times
Whenever someone suggests that something should be different than what it actually is, or that it shouldn't be, I just laugh it off because I know it is only wishful thinking on the part of the person doing the shoulding. Physical strength has been an important value to me for most of my life, and I don't see that changing any time in the near future.

Old 09-30-2009, 09:43 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,625,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
Whenever someone suggests that something should be different than what it actually is, or that it shouldn't be, I just laugh it off because I know it is only wishful thinking on the part of the person doing the shoulding. Physical strength has been an important value to me for most of my life, and I don't see that changing any time in the near future.
Well i think that just about all of us men want physical power and strength (except Bill Gates ..lol..) as we idolized Hercules and all those muscled comic book characters when i was a kid (thor, hulk, superman, captain america etc..) and i got into powerlifting/bodybuilding back in the 1980's/1990's in my teens and 20's but now in my 40's i just want to be cut up and in shape and carry no fat on my stomach as my age group the 40's is when we men start to die from heart attacks and so i'm into longevity more now than if i can bench 400 lbs etc...

Look at 95 year old Jack Lalanne who can do 500 pushups today as that's what i call strength .

Old 09-30-2009, 09:52 AM

I might add that I have absolutely no interest in how much I can lift in ANY exercise for a single rep. Having the strength to do 40-50 reps with 2-45s on each side of the leg press machine is more valuable to me than being able to do 400-500 lbs for one rep. That hurts my back just thinking about it! But for guys who are into the heavy stuff...more power to you.

Old 09-30-2009, 10:23 AM

3,860 posts, read 8,453,455 times
Why do so many people use the bench press as a measure of strength? I would think that the clean and jerk is at least a little more accurate in determining overall strength.

Old 09-30-2009, 10:29 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,962,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yayoi View Post
Why do so many people use the bench press as a measure of strength? I would think that the clean and jerk is at least a little more accurate in determining overall strength.
I agree. I never claimed or want to be a strongman nor do I go around asking "what you benchin'?". Heck, I bet most guys here can out bench press me. Hell, I even know a woman who can overhead squat more than I can. But what I do have is overall functional fitness. And Im still working at getting better.

Old 09-30-2009, 10:51 AM

yayoi wrote:
Why do so many people use the bench press as a measure of strength?
I can't say with certainty, but here's my theories. You get to lay flat on your back when you do bench press, and the weight used for that movement is considerably less than the weight that would be used for a squat or deadlift. Squats and deadlifts are hard exercises for most people whereas bench press is relatively enjoyable. Some of the BIG guys in my gym spend an inordainte amount of time on upper body exercise and avoid squats, leg press, and deadlift like the plague. Clean and jerk requires alot more co-ordination than bench press, and alot of guys are unwilling to been seen doing an exercise that would clearly reveal their lack of co-ordination. OK, so much for my theories!

Old 09-30-2009, 10:56 AM

3,007 posts, read 6,288,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morphous01 View Post
I'm a 205lbs male with a PR bench press of 275lbs. What do you CD guys press?
Impressive. I maxed out at 1.5 times weight on bench and doing 50% my weight in each hand with dumbbell inclines. Of course I was also running 50 miles a week and biking two hours a day, so my strength never got beyond this.

Now...I am a wimp. My muscles are designed for carrying sleeping and naughty children!

S.

Old 09-30-2009, 11:04 AM

Sandpointian....Carrying children around does not qualify you as a wimp!

Last edited by CosmicWizard; 09-30-2009 at 11:21 AM..

Old 09-30-2009, 11:57 AM

3,860 posts, read 8,453,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
yayoi wrote:
Why do so many people use the bench press as a measure of strength?
I can't say with certainty, but here's my theories. You get to lay flat on your back when you do bench press, and the weight used for that movement is considerably less than the weight that would be used for a squat or deadlift. Squats and deadlifts are hard exercises for most people whereas bench press is relatively enjoyable. Some of the BIG guys in my gym spend an inordainte amount of time on upper body exercise and avoid squats, leg press, and deadlift like the plague. Clean and jerk requires alot more co-ordination than bench press, and alot of guys are unwilling to been seen doing an exercise that would clearly reveal their lack of co-ordination. OK, so much for my theories!
See, I'm the opposite. I enjoy the deadlift and clean and press much more than the bench press. I haven't tried the clean and jerk yet. I want to give it a go but my left knee is acting up on me now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness