Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2010, 07:49 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,967,745 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypnosis View Post
I'm not doing it to lose weight since I'm already in shape, I'm doing it to challenge myself,
If you want to challenge yourself, try timing your distance on your cardio workouts. I personally never pay any attention to how many calories are burned during the workout because almost all calorie counters are innacurate. My Nike Plus iPod will say I burned x amount of calories on my 3 mile run, then later, if I am on a treadmill, it would give me a totally different amount (usually more) of cals burned for 3 miles. Thing is, I KNOW my Plus runs are more intense (i.e., many more calories burned) because I do HIT the last mile or so.

A REAL challenge would be to figure out exactly how far you go in your one hour of cardio. Then, try to do that same distance in 55 minutes. Then try it in 50 minutes. Then 45 minutes. THAT is a challenge and is super motivating as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2010, 08:00 AM

3,337 posts, read 7,123,054 times
Based on my routine (cardio (eliptical machine) and powerlifting) I can burn 1000 calories per workout. Of course due to the intense nature of my training, I have a gallon-size jug of water to replenish lost fluids and have to eat 3x more to maintain/gain weight and keep my energy levels up.

Old 02-22-2010, 01:51 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,731,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypnosis View Post
the most in 1 hour for me is 600 but tomorrow I'm going to lose 1,000 calories, 1 hour jogging and then elliptical and walking
They have this new Nautilus gauntlet in my gym these days. Nautilus is forcing everyone to buy the new one I heard, owing to a take over of all stepmill manufacturing.

I just love it. I take the gauntlet for my 45 minute energy zone group training class.

They have five zones 1 through 6. At the end of the 45 minutes, the panel on an average reads 640 Calories, with heart rates going as high as 190. I have a nickname among my regular classmates - adrenalin junkie or simply, the maniac

That's the max I can do for 45 minutes. And the gauntlet simply kills you, it's even better, I get off like I got off the shower, literally obliterated that I go sit in the corner for 2 to 3 full minutes.

But I don't set 1 hour targets. I have a target of at least 1000 calories burnt off these machines per day.

The machines I use the most are the gauntlet, the indoor rower, the spinning bike and three kinds of weird but very advanced ellipticals. And it's the best gym I've been to all my life

Old 02-22-2010, 01:58 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,731,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
If you want to challenge yourself, try timing your distance on your cardio workouts. I personally never pay any attention to how many calories are burned during the workout because almost all calorie counters are innacurate. My Nike Plus iPod will say I burned x amount of calories on my 3 mile run, then later, if I am on a treadmill, it would give me a totally different amount (usually more) of cals burned for 3 miles. Thing is, I KNOW my Plus runs are more intense (i.e., many more calories burned) because I do HIT the last mile or so.

A REAL challenge would be to figure out exactly how far you go in your one hour of cardio. Then, try to do that same distance in 55 minutes. Then try it in 50 minutes. Then 45 minutes. THAT is a challenge and is super motivating as well.
Good point there, Lao. I've noticed that too. I have a bodybugg that helps me measure, but I'm not sure if that's accurate either.

I also go by the sweat and fatigue rule. I don't get off the machine unless my Tee's fully wet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthsideJacksonville View Post
Based on my routine (cardio (eliptical machine) and powerlifting) I can burn 1000 calories per workout. Of course due to the intense nature of my training, I have a gallon-size jug of water to replenish lost fluids and have to eat 3x more to maintain/gain weight and keep my energy levels up.
Yo, I'm burning at least 1000 every workout session too. And I drink lots of water.

Can you please elaborate on the 3x eating thing? I have taken a hiatus from lifting weights and it's almost been a year since I have regularly done weights training.

I'm trying to consume about 1600 calories a day. Would you recommend I eat more? Most of them time I'm hungry a lot, I just swallow a banana in those times.

Old 02-22-2010, 10:35 PM

2,754 posts, read 6,102,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onglet39 View Post
I'm too busy enjoying my life to spend an hour jogging, followed by ellitipical AND walking... 30 minutes my typical cardio... I'd rather bust my ass for 30 minutes than "jog" for an hour. I run hard intervals then I move on. I see people doing that a lot at my gym, jogging or doing a lame routine on an elliptical machine, and frankly a year later they still look all flabby.
Hmm...what an odd statement. Too busy enjoying life? LOL. But what you apparently don't understand that intense cardio workout IS enjoyment! I never feel so good as I do after a hard workout; and that endorphin rush (runner's high) is sweeter than any drug! (And almost as good as sex!) Also, the fitness level that a person attains from intense cardio merely serves to help a person feel his or her best for the rest of the day, thus enabling them to enjoy all the more the finer things in life. The body is the temple of the soul. And the soul is not going to be at its best if the temple is crumbling.

Old 02-22-2010, 11:28 PM

1,836 posts, read 3,822,508 times
Repeat after me: What the computerized screen says I'm burning and what I'm ACTUALLY burning are two separate things. They're often times wrong by more than 10%, as everyone has a different metabolic rate, combined with any number of diet supplements that can alter your burning ability.

Now, you can do any number of things to burn MORE calories during cardio and weight training sessions: Drinking cold water, supplements, sweat suits, sprint/walk body confusion techniques on cardio machines, etc.

If you're looking for a cardio session that is all about sheer sweat and caloric shredding, I'd recommend Bikram Yoga. You can successfully burn more than 1500 calories a class if you commit to the poses and don't rest too much.

BN

Old 02-23-2010, 05:23 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,716,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrummerBoy View Post
Hmm...what an odd statement. Too busy enjoying life?
For me, I'm too busy doing laundry, making dinner, helping the kids with their homework ... I get an hour a day. I don't have two or three to spend on myself either.

Old 02-24-2010, 02:33 PM

7,364 posts, read 14,679,521 times
Quote:
Hmm...what an odd statement. Too busy enjoying life? LOL. But what you apparently don't understand that intense cardio workout IS enjoyment! I never feel so good as I do after a hard workout; and that endorphin rush (runner's high) is sweeter than any drug! (And almost as good as sex!) Also, the fitness level that a person attains from intense cardio merely serves to help a person feel his or her best for the rest of the day, thus enabling them to enjoy all the more the finer things in life. The body is the temple of the soul. And the soul is not going to be at its best if the temple is crumbling.
Well that's you. I'm not you, I'm ME. I find jogging to be very boring. The thought of jogging to burn 1000+ calories as per the thread topic does nothing for me, not to mention throwing the elliptical on top of it. I have a job, 50 hours a week. I prepare all of my meals, I commute by bike... I have a life to live beyond 1.5 hours a day in the gym.

I'll do 50 miles on my bike, because that's what *I* like. I have no idea how many calories I burn when I do it either, because *I* don't care. *I* feel good after cycling. I feel I am wasting my entertainment time jogging on a treadmill, and that's that.

Why are you insisting that I enjoy what you enjoy?

How about if I stick to living my life and you stick to yours?

Old 02-26-2010, 11:36 AM

15,866 posts, read 21,452,288 times
Quote:
You apparently have a lot more free time than many of us, then. Between 25 hours at work, 20 hours in class, around 45 hours of coursework (more if it's midterms- like now- or finals), countless hours job hunting, and cooking all of my meals, it's all I can do to get in half an hour of an exercise DVD in my bedroom plus my walking commute.

I probably burn around 500 calories a day. I'm OK with that- my lifestyle is not conducive to much more.

Old 02-26-2010, 11:55 AM

25,080 posts, read 16,331,418 times
My goal in working out is to burn approximate 1200 calories per workout. Stairs or incline on the treadmill burns more calories. It can double ur total calorie burn. And if u r also doing resistance after cardio u burn more calories too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness