Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2010, 10:15 AM

37,624 posts, read 46,016,337 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onglet39 View Post
I'm too busy enjoying my life to spend an hour jogging, followed by ellitipical AND walking... 30 minutes my typical cardio... I'd rather bust my ass for 30 minutes than "jog" for an hour. I run hard intervals then I move on. I see people doing that a lot at my gym, jogging or doing a lame routine on an elliptical machine, and frankly a year later they still look all flabby.
You know what? Whatever route people take to stay in shape should be commended. And frankly, I LOVE it when I can spend an entire hour running. It feels GREAT. What an arrogant post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2010, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oberleutnant View Post
900 calories on the treadmill for 45 mins five days per week. Yeah it might sound boring but I watch what I eat and I lose weight like clockwork. I am looking to get down to around 180. I also do pushups and situps every other day. I am getting back into shape so I can follow my old 1/2 hr treadmill plan. Left column is the time period in minutes and right column is mph. The last 15 mins I keep it at 6 mph.

1 to 5: 6
5 to 10: 6.5
10 to 15: 7
15 to 25: 7.5
25: 8
26: 8.5
27: 9
28: 9.5
29: 10
Damn. You are a machine!

Old 03-03-2010, 10:56 AM

8,518 posts, read 15,645,240 times
Quote:
I'm too busy enjoying my life to spend an hour jogging, followed by ellitipical AND walking... 30 minutes my typical cardio... I'd rather bust my ass for 30 minutes than "jog" for an hour. I run hard intervals then I move on. I see people doing that a lot at my gym, jogging or doing a lame routine on an elliptical machine, and frankly a year later they still look all flabby.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
You know what? Whatever route people take to stay in shape should be commended. And frankly, I LOVE it when I can spend an entire hour running. It feels GREAT. What an arrogant post.
I have to agree with ChessieMom. I thought the post was a bit on the arrogant side as well. I understand that not everyone enjoys long runs or has the time for them. But a lot of us do enjoy them and even prefer them. So to say that you're too busy enjoying life to do a longer workout is a slight insult to the people who like jogging. A lot of them enjoy that type of workout and see the extra time as worth it. These days, I do a mix of intervals and steady-state cardio. I prefer the latter. We could argue all day about which is more effective for fat loss, which is healthier, which is more efficient, etc. The point is I'm doing something I enjoy. I don't see it as cutting into my leisure time. If anything, I count it as part of that time because it makes me feel good and really helps relieve stress. I do intervals, but I never enjoy it. That actually feels like work. As for all those people at the gym who do hours on the treadmill and still look flabby, I don't blame their workouts. I think their diets are probably the problem.

Old 03-04-2010, 09:24 AM

7,364 posts, read 14,678,492 times
Quote:
Who is stopping you? I think you are searching for reasons to be outraged.

Old 03-04-2010, 09:26 AM

7,364 posts, read 14,678,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
I have to agree with ChessieMom. I thought the post was a bit on the arrogant side as well. I understand that not everyone enjoys long runs or has the time for them. But a lot of us do enjoy them and even prefer them. So to say that you're too busy enjoying life to do a longer workout is a slight insult to the people who like jogging. A lot of them enjoy that type of workout and see the extra time as worth it. These days, I do a mix of intervals and steady-state cardio. I prefer the latter. We could argue all day about which is more effective for fat loss, which is healthier, which is more efficient, etc. The point is I'm doing something I enjoy. I don't see it as cutting into my leisure time. If anything, I count it as part of that time because it makes me feel good and really helps relieve stress. I do intervals, but I never enjoy it. That actually feels like work. As for all those people at the gym who do hours on the treadmill and still look flabby, I don't blame their workouts. I think their diets are probably the problem.
My post has *I* written all over it. My post doesn't what "people" should do or what "you" should do. It says what "I" enjoy. If you don't like how I choose to live, then don't emulate me. I won't be offended if you post about what you like. That you are offended by what I like to do isn't my problem.

Old 03-04-2010, 11:02 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,712,192 times
Quote:
I have to agree with ChessieMom. I thought the post was a bit on the arrogant side as well. I understand that not everyone enjoys long runs or has the time for them. But a lot of us do enjoy them and even prefer them. So to say that you're too busy enjoying life to do a longer workout is a slight insult to the people who like jogging.
It was no more arrogant than this response:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrummerBoy View Post
Hmm...what an odd statement. Too busy enjoying life? LOL. But what you apparently don't understand that intense cardio workout IS enjoyment!
People like to do different things. I don't have two hours a day to work out either, even something I love to do. That's why I don't belong to a gym. I don't see what's at all insulting about saying, "I wouldn't enjoy doing that." So she doesn't enjoy running and walking for two hours. What's the big deal?

Old 03-04-2010, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Who is stopping you? I think you are searching for reasons to be outraged.
I'm hardly outraged. Your post implies that people who spend their time at the gym differently than you, are somehow not having a fullfilling life. I spend every minute "enjoying my life"....as I am sure most others here do. And part of that enjoyment includes doing things that YOU may not see as beneficial....to YOU. And it is quite self-centered to call someone else's routine "lame". At least they are THERE, at the gym.

Get over yourself. Really.

Old 03-04-2010, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
It was no more arrogant than this response:

People like to do different things. I don't have two hours a day to work out either, even something I love to do. That's why I don't belong to a gym. I don't see what's at all insulting about saying, "I wouldn't enjoy doing that." So she doesn't enjoy running and walking for two hours. What's the big deal?
If he had worded it that way, then that would have been fine.

Old 03-04-2010, 03:57 PM

8,518 posts, read 15,645,240 times
Quote:
Your post implies that people who spend their time at the gym differently than you, are somehow not having a fullfilling life. I spend every minute "enjoying my life"....as I am sure most others here do.
That was how I interpreted it as well. Onglet39, we weren't offended by you posting what you like. We just took issue with the way you phrased it, cause it did imply that the rest of us who spend more time in the gym are somehow not enjoying life or are missing out on it.

Old 03-04-2010, 04:19 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,712,192 times
Quote:
That was how I interpreted it as well. Onglet39, we weren't offended by you posting what you like. We just took issue with the way you phrased it, cause it did imply that the rest of us who spend more time in the gym are somehow not enjoying life or are missing out on it.
Okay ... so what about DrummerBoy's comment, "Too busy enjoying life? LOL. But what you apparently don't understand that intense cardio workout IS enjoyment!" Doesn't that imply that those of us who don't enjoy running for long periods of time are not enjoying life or missing out?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness