Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you run barefoot?
Yes 16 39.02%
No 25 60.98%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2010, 03:07 PM

221 posts, read 798,989 times

Advertisements

I saw some guy doing this on some of the filthiest streets in the city I would never in a billion years do this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2010, 11:05 PM

363 posts, read 2,019,526 times
Read about Vibram Five Fngers in Smithsonian magazine.
Did reseach, as it looked interesting to me.
Started to run only a half mile at a time, as suggested-
-to allow my body to adjust.
5ks via treadmill - barefoot- are pleasant.
Wish I could do it outside, but live on a rocky, rugged hillside in the Texas country and am a little gunshy.
Plan on purchasing Vibram Five Fingers and am hopeful for their success.
I don't know, but we are all built so differently, what works for one may simply not work for all.
I feel a more natural gait without shoes.
Barefeet just feel earthy/natural to my stride.
I guess, I often feel as though my shoes cause me to comform to them. Wonder if anyone else feels this way?

Old 09-25-2010, 03:25 AM

15 posts, read 23,719 times
I would never run barefoot. But I heard that sometimes barefoot is good for health.It named Taqing in China.Go to Taqing with your lover is very romantic and interseting.

Old 09-25-2010, 11:24 PM

3,804 posts, read 6,170,010 times
Why not just skip the barefoot running and go straight to having worms? Then you can lose or control your weight without having to run around barefoot.

Old 09-26-2010, 02:02 PM

3,485 posts, read 7,308,713 times
I would not because I have flat foot. It hurts to run without proper shoes. I also need ankle support. I also do not want to step on a nail.

Old 09-30-2010, 11:18 PM

3,377 posts, read 9,204,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wankel7 View Post
Vibram Five Fingers...
Quote:
Originally Posted by eskercurve View Post
This is totally inane. NEVER run without shoes because of the possibility of injuring your foot with random small objects. They may feel better but I'd rather not since I'd rather not get a tetanus shot every time I go running.
People are not mainly running bare foot or in Five Fingers because it feels better. It is mainly because it IS better. Better for you, better for your feet, and and a better way not to get injured.

Running shoes with large heel cushions designed to protect ourselves from ourselves are a lie. Running shoes have been around for 30 years. How long have our feet been around?

If there is one design that the human body has that is pretty amazing is our feet. We don't need shoes to "save" us from the damaging affects of running that don't exist.

And this post isn't just an IMHO thing...there is actual science behind it.

Running Barefoot: Home

Old 09-30-2010, 11:22 PM

3,377 posts, read 9,204,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
There's a whole tribe of barefoot runners somewhere in the world. The Tarahumara. Funny this topic should come up--I was thinking just this morning that the fastest mile is under 4 minutes. That's over 15 miles an hour. But you almost never hear of a marathon runner completing the course in just under two hours (if ever, I know I haven't heard of such a thing).

It's one thing to be able to run fast, it's quite another to be able to maintain a fast speed over a long distance.
Abebe Bikila - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Bikila 1960 Olympics...won the marathon barefoot in 2:15.

Old 10-06-2010, 09:03 PM

9,405 posts, read 11,150,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub D View Post
I've seen a few barefoot runners at the park I run at. Quite honestly, the only ones I've seen do this are Asians. The other time I remember is climbing Ayres Rock in Australia. The beginning of the climb is pretty steep and this guy was doing it barefoot, couldn't believe it.
I grew up going barefoot. I've gone barefoot in the snow many times in my younger years. Your feet adapt and adjust.

When starting a new martial arts class many years back, the first part of the workout was a barefoot 1-2 mile run.

This surprised me, since most folks can't just go out and run barefoot. It was partly to toughen the feet for kicking, I presume.

Then I lived in a carpeted apartment, it ruined my barefooting ability.

No problem with barefoot running.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuteishungry View Post
I just saw this yesterday and was ASTOUNDED; someone jogging around the streets of Boston with their little finger toes. Isn't that bad for your back with such weight of bare feet on concrete? Just sayin'. I would do it, but i'm scared it might hurt my back.
God designed us with no shoes on our feet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eskercurve View Post
This is totally inane. NEVER run without shoes because of the possibility of injuring your foot with random small objects. They may feel better but I'd rather not since I'd rather not get a tetanus shot every time I go running.
A tetanus shot is good for 10 years I believe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wankel7 View Post
People are not mainly running bare foot or in Five Fingers because it feels better. It is mainly because it IS better. Better for you, better for your feet, and and a better way not to get injured.

Running shoes with large heel cushions designed to protect ourselves from ourselves are a lie. Running shoes have been around for 30 years. How long have our feet been around?
If there is one design that the human body has that is pretty amazing is our feet. We don't need shoes to "save" us from the damaging affects of running that don't exist.

And this post isn't just an IMHO thing...there is actual science behind it.

Running Barefoot: Home

Old 10-07-2010, 12:34 AM

5,816 posts, read 15,909,334 times
What I'm not so sure about is doing this on asphalt and concrete, and taking the risk of stepping on sharp stuff like glass, metal scraps, etc. Several people have pointed out that we are naturally built to go barefooted. That may be true if we're treading on natural surfaces. I've done wind sprints on the lawn, and found that it feels good, but I'd hesitate to run on the street. Dwatted Wabbit points out that God designed us with no shoes on our feet. However, he designed us to walk and run barefooted across his good soft earth, not city concrete.

Old 10-07-2010, 12:44 AM

34 posts, read 84,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ogre View Post
What I'm not so sure about is doing this on asphalt and concrete, and taking the risk of stepping on sharp stuff like glass, metal scraps, etc. Several people have pointed out that we are naturally built to go barefooted. That may be true if we're treading on natural surfaces. I've done wind sprints on the lawn, and found that it feels good, but I'd hesitate to run on the street. Dwatted Wabbit points out that God designed us with no shoes on our feet. However, he designed us to walk and run barefooted across his good soft earth, not city concrete.
exactly- man has evolved to be able to run on natural surfaces, these all have a degree of "give" and dont shock the joints . concrete etc has no "give " and it will damage your joints . im suprised more isnt made of this in the media
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness