Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Fargo
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2010, 09:30 AM

246 posts, read 1,007,121 times

Advertisements

to me I guess i still find it funny that people can't stand the cold, yet can stand some seriously hot and humid weather down south, and this is coming from someone who was born and raised in the south.

To me, its a wash. If its hot and humid down south, you go INSIDE to airconditioning. When its extremely cold here, you go INSIDE to the heater.

In a way, I have also found I prefer cold over heat as it seems its easier to just layer up to get warm that it is to cool down when its hot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2010, 10:08 AM

4,818 posts, read 11,003,333 times
I agree with Cain on the heat vs cold....I grew up in the south. But it all depends on each persons individual heat or cold tolerance. My heat tolerance is very very low whereas I can stand real cold temps most people even up here would hate.

Being a weatherman....Fargo temps are never quite as cold as one things. It has never been 65 below....never been 40 below in the 12 years I have been here (at least that I recall at Fargo Hector where the weather equipment is). as 44 below in GF in 2004....

Since the revised wind chill forumula went into effect....what was once 80 below wind chill is now closer to 40 or 50 below. That is rare too....though a few times last winter it was close.

Here is the link to a very very thorough report on Fargo climate completed a few years ago by some folks at our NWS Grand Forks office....it is in a pdf file and quite lengthy but excellent info for those really into stats.

http://climate.umn.edu/pdf/fargo_climate.pdf

NWS Wind Chill Index

Dan

Old 08-27-2010, 11:11 AM

25,743 posts, read 18,809,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaninEGF View Post
Here is the link to a very very thorough report on Fargo climate completed a few years ago by some folks at our NWS Grand Forks office....it is in a pdf file and quite lengthy but excellent info for those really into stats.

http://climate.umn.edu/pdf/fargo_climate.pdf

NWS Wind Chill Index

Dan
Great stuff. I skimmed through it and will read it in detail later. I'll be a bit further north, but it still should be useful info (besides the fact that I love digging into climate stats).

Old 08-27-2010, 03:28 PM

4,818 posts, read 11,003,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
Great stuff. I skimmed through it and will read it in detail later. I'll be a bit further north, but it still should be useful info (besides the fact that I love digging into climate stats).
The two folks who compiled the Fargo info worked long and hard and over several years to get this and verify info. Looking at past weather records is not as easy as it would seem, as back in the way old days...observers did not measure the liquid amount of snow...they measured snowfall and just took the 10:1 ratio for liquid. Now we dont do that of course....so the old days (such as prior to the 50s) precipitation data is hard to compare to current values as the old data from that period will be higher.

Plus location of instruments would vary greatly....back when observations started equipment was on rooftops.

Old 08-27-2010, 06:31 PM

1,034 posts, read 1,244,551 times
I could definitely see somebody being a bit shocked if they came here in January looking at houses but if you move in the fall it will be easier to acclimate yourself to the cold.

Old 08-30-2010, 12:38 PM

5 posts, read 24,526 times
krotzmc,

I finally got the chance to sit down and read your post. I just really want to thank you for taking the time out to respond to me with such a lengthy response. Which is great by the way, that's what i was looking for. With that being said, my husband and I do plan on coming to visit there before we move, and when we do move, you can be sure it wont be in the middle of winter, that is just crazy and not very good planning. Him and I both have always known that we were meant to leave Dallas, we just didn't know where. We have checked out some other states as well, but nothing catches our interest like North Dakota. Thank you for all the wonderful information and advice, and you can be sure that we will think on everything you have provided. And as for the cost of housing there in North Dakota, you guys are way cheaper than the cost of housing over here in Dallas. I'm just tired of this crazy city life and want something homey and not too crowded or noisy.

Old 10-22-2010, 10:47 PM

1 posts, read 2,350 times
Krotzmc is pretty windy, but I have to admit informative. Yes, not everyone is suited to live in the northern tundra, but then, sacrifices have to be made to live in the more economical regions of the US such as ND. I've been offered a neurosurgical position in Fargo, but have some reservations since my wife is Hispanic and I have no idea how she will be accepted by the community despite the fact that she is an attorney. I can't imagine there is much use for someone bilingual in Fargo, much less a legal expert. We have had the misfortune of living in areas where the local "rednecks" did nothing more than chastise her kind simply because she was from "Mexico", despite being a legal citizen. She is more intelligent than the average citizen in most cities, but in areas like Fargo, I suspect she would rarely be given the opportunity to prove it. This no doubt accounts for the small percentage of Hispanics in the area. That, of course, and the cold weather. Will I agree to move to Fargo and provide the quality of neurosurgical services that I have provided to the people of Los Angeles and other major cities? I can't say for certain until I visit the city and meet some of the people.

Old 10-30-2010, 05:34 PM

28 posts, read 55,236 times
I hate when people lie about the cold. It has never been below -40 in Fargo and the average and highs are much higher. The coldest to expect are highs in the teens in the coldest part of the season, its not terrible.

Take a look at Fargo, North Dakota - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 10-30-2010, 07:10 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,061,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmp6nl View Post
I hate when people lie about the cold. It has never been below -40 in Fargo and the average and highs are much higher. The coldest to expect are highs in the teens in the coldest part of the season, its not terrible.

Take a look at Fargo, North Dakota - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Recorded weather data says different. The record low for Fargo was -48.

I agree that the averages are much higher. But the averages do not show a fair picture of the weather. They don't show you the 6 days the weather was -35. They show the Month was 14 degrees.

Also, the recorded temps are from Reporting Stations. When I was growing up on the farm, the reporting station was 45 miles away. But things have changed the reporting stations are getting into more area's. Where I live now, up until a couple years ago, the reporting station was 20 miles away. There was often a 10 degree difference from my house to the reporting station.

Old 10-30-2010, 07:41 PM

28 posts, read 55,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
Recorded weather data says different. The record low for Fargo was -48.

I agree that the averages are much higher. But the averages do not show a fair picture of the weather. They don't show you the 6 days the weather was -35. They show the Month was 14 degrees.

Also, the recorded temps are from Reporting Stations. When I was growing up on the farm, the reporting station was 45 miles away. But things have changed the reporting stations are getting into more area's. Where I live now, up until a couple years ago, the reporting station was 20 miles away. There was often a 10 degree difference from my house to the reporting station.
-48 according to who? According to NOAA it was -39 unless I am blind.

The averages do most certainly show a fair picture, they are called averages for a reason. They also dont show the 10 days it was 55. They dont show them because they are not typical. If you really wont to find that info fine, they are available (see above as a start), but they are not typical... thats why they arent often mentioned.

Of course they are from reporting stations, thats how we get official numbers. If you wanted that changed take it up with the government.

All I am saying is that people over exaggerate the temperatures. Yes it is cold in ND, but its also cold elsewhere, and of course what is really cold is subjective. Thats why I provide actual statistics, or links to them instead of just claiming its -60 or whatever the person did before.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Fargo