Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2012, 10:45 AM

5,751 posts, read 10,378,188 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheImportersWife View Post
Are you sure those photos aren't all from the g8 summit in '11 as opposed to being taken recently?
The first 2 are from May 2012 IPO presentations I think (the articles are dated May 2012). The last one is from his Wiki page, so I'm sure it's older.

My point is that I have been seeing him recently in some suits/ties as he has been campaigning for his IPO. I think I even remember a quote from him about having to wear ties more often (I'll see if I can find it).

Maybe these Tech Co. founders (e.g. Zuckerberg, Gates, Jobs, Cuban, etc.) go through some style transformation after their companies go public and they need to report more to shareholders and project a new media image. Who knows? I have not compared before/after pics. They do seem to prefer the gray/black t-shirt look though.

On a side note, the Nato Summit is really making things a mess around here. Had to walk through protesters yesterday and must miss this weekend's Cubs game.

Last edited by GoCUBS1; 05-18-2012 at 10:55 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2012, 11:18 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,876,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCUBS1 View Post
I feel the same way. We have a Spring Home Tour coming up that I'll attend. The Junior League does a lot of philanthropy, but the politics crack me up. One of my friends was a president. I have never had the desire to join. I have my fill with school/church volunteer projects with large groups of women.
It sounds like one really annoying sorority. I try to avoid politics at work...why would I want social life politics....

Old 05-18-2012, 11:27 AM

5,751 posts, read 10,378,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
It sounds like one really annoying sorority. I try to avoid politics at work...why would I want social life politics....
That is a good description. I put together a big charity auction a few years ago. I'll never do it again. The politics were unbearable. I'm just not cut out for that, even though it was a very successful event and the charity keeps asking me to do it again. I'm good at directing, but not so good at politics and soothing egos, though I greatly respect those with political skills. My friend is great at it but she has a Masters in Abnormal Psychology and can better deal with some of these women.

Old 05-25-2012, 02:06 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,972,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCUBS1 View Post
That is a good description. I put together a big charity auction a few years ago. I'll never do it again. The politics were unbearable. I'm just not cut out for that, even though it was a very successful event and the charity keeps asking me to do it again. I'm good at directing, but not so good at politics and soothing egos, though I greatly respect those with political skills. My friend is great at it but she has a Masters in Abnormal Psychology and can better deal with some of these women.
Oh, that is so very funny, though sad that it is true.

Old 05-25-2012, 03:12 PM

4,338 posts, read 7,507,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8635angelvalley View Post
When was the last time you saw a man sporting a blue blazer and an ascot in Walmart?
Unless it is Friday or Saturday night.

Old 05-25-2012, 06:35 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,364,053 times
Look at the hair, skin, teeth, and shoes. Rich folks spend money on those things....because they have mucho disposable income. It is not always about the clothes. And always notice the sunglasses.

If you spend a lot of time around rich folks...you can spot a millionaire from a beach bum...even if they are both wearing shorts, flip flops and a t shirt.

A millionaire's flip flops will be an exclusive leather brand...his shorts will be well worn, with many pockets...usually heavy khaki, purchased from an upscale store...the t shirt might be advertising a bar in Australia.
Usually Oakley or other expensive glasses.
Beach bum...flip flops from Wally World...cheap fabric shorts, cheap sunglasses, local pub.

Old 05-25-2012, 07:35 PM

4,338 posts, read 7,507,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Look at the hair, skin, teeth, and shoes. Rich folks spend money on those things....because they have mucho disposable income. It is not always about the clothes. And always notice the sunglasses.

If you spend a lot of time around rich folks...you can spot a millionaire from a beach bum...even if they are both wearing shorts, flip flops and a t shirt.

A millionaire's flip flops will be an exclusive leather brand...his shorts will be well worn, with many pockets...usually heavy khaki, purchased from an upscale store...the t shirt might be advertising a bar in Australia.
Beach bum...flip flops from Wally World...cheap fabric shorts, cheap sunglasses, local pub.
I would say their health so hair, skin and teeth can come into that category. Lot of them are in shape and fit. You also have to take confidence into this also. How they speak and present themselves. I love Oakley and I am wearing one now, they are prescribed but they aren't too expensive with insurance though.

Old 05-25-2012, 08:55 PM

61 posts, read 208,898 times
My kids go to private school and I'd say the large majority of those folks do dress, in general, a certain way. Even the workout clothes tend to be fancy and very put together. I always stick out like a sore thumb with my ripped up jeans, flip flops and smock tops Some people like diamonds and I love the water meter earring I picked up in New Orleans. A lot of these folks do have corporate jobs though and are used to having to present themselves in a certain way, which I can understand, but I'm not in that situation. I've also come across people who are carrying designer bags and dressing in labels who can barely afford their car note. Whatever floats your boat I guess.

Old 05-25-2012, 09:22 PM

3,565 posts, read 7,980,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xlroadster View Post
Just curious because I do lots of driving for my job and come across different neighborhoods and envrionments. Whereas one side of town looks like they play golf all day long, the other looks like they've been constructing houses all day long.

Is it just me, or do people who earn more tend to dress differently than those who earn less?
THIS is the original post of this thread. It looks like what the OP is describing is more along the lines of the cultural difference between the working and middle classes, and not necessarily asking how the truly wealthy or rich people dress.

So to address the question of the OP (xlroadster)-

I would say that what you're seeing is just what I said - the difference between the working class and middle class. And usually these two groups are largely segregated in different parts of town, as you mentioned. However, a middle-class individual doesn't always earn a higher income than a working-class individual. The difference in the style of dress that you're seeing is directly related to the typical employment members of either class is involved in. Middle class individuals typically work in offices and don't do any manual labor, thus they can and are required to dress business casual or even in a suit. Working class inviduals, on the other hand, either dress in a uniform, such as with a blue shirt "blue-collar", or just in work clothes of their choosing (often Carhardt, Dickies, or just old clothes) because much of their work involves manual labor in which they often get dirty. It's actually pretty simple, but because these two types of people typically live in their own bubble and tend to be socially distant, many people don't realize how different they really are. I should add that some people who are only borderline middle-class and work for low wages often dress business-casual too - bank tellers, cashiers, retail sales people, data clerks, receptionists, and other low-paid "soft" workers. These people enjoy not having to do any manual labor and sort of appear middle-class/professional, but really aren't.

Old 05-25-2012, 09:40 PM

3,565 posts, read 7,980,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post

The nuevo-riche, who are generally upper-middle class and "new" to money, are infamous for being very ostentatious and wasting money on flash. But I think you and others are discounting how humble truly wealthy people often are. I don't think somebody who is established wealthy and smart with their money would waste money on fancy flip flops, shorts, and shirts for the beach when he can just go to a run-of-the-mill store and pick up something that serves. You're right on the shirts from places previously visited, such as my two Puerto Vallarta shirts, but that's not exclusive to the rich.

As for Walmart-
Just because many pretenious middle-class people lacking in the humility department use a theatric dislike of Walmart to try to prove something to or about themself doesn't mean classy or wealthy folks don't go to Walmart. I have no idea why anybody would say you wouldn't see a guy in a blue blazer in Walmart.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty