Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2013, 08:11 AM

155 posts, read 310,621 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Now you have me curious... how old are you?
Are you pre-Boomer or over 60?
I am in my early 40s. I meant to write those of "us over the age of 40."

Most young people do not consider people old enough to be their parents as "young." I have people tell me they didn't realize I was that "old" when I tell them my age. I realize that over 40 isn't young. I have friends who are grandparents because they started their families in their twenties.

I am not a baby boomer.

I have observed baby boomers all of my life. And the tv ads are geared toward them. The "OurTime.com" dating site for baby boomers even has an ad for a woman stating that she feels like she is "in high school again."

Why in the world would ANY adult want to feel like an adolescent again? Notice ALL of the women in that ad have long hair past their shoulders.

Older women don't have to cut their hair, but sometimes a cute shorter haircut really does look better. Unless hair is very healthy, it doesn't always look best worn straight and longer. Even models like Heidi Klum sometimes look better with a fresh haircut that just grazes the shoulders.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2013, 08:16 AM

1,484 posts, read 2,258,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hot_in_dc View Post
Most young people do not consider people old enough to be their parents as "young." I have people tell me they didn't realize I was that "old" when I tell them my age. I realize that over 40 isn't young. I have friends who are grandparents because they started their families in their twenties.
Doncha know, old is 10 years older than your (a person in general's) current age

Quote:
Why in the world would ANY adult want to feel like an adolescent again? Notice ALL of the women in that ad have long hair past their shoulders.

Older women don't have to cut their hair, but sometimes a cute shorter haircut really does look better. Unless hair is very healthy, it doesn't always look best worn straight and longer. Even models like Heidi Klum sometimes look better with a fresh haircut that just grazes the shoulders.
I don't think its adults wanting to feel like an adolescent! (the ad is saying it because they are excited to be dating again. It's not making yourself feel like that by working hard to maintain a physical standard)

I think people in general just wanna feel maybe 5-10 years younger. And "feel" is the key word. Who wants to feel old, creaky, tired, exhausted, etc?

Yeah I hate the old thing where once you hit 40 as a woman you have to chop off all your hair! That is a very outdated notion if you ask me. As long as it's healthy then what's the problem?

I think part of this whole thing is people are done with the thought, "Once you turn XX age you have to chop your hair, change your wardrobe and who you are" because that's what it seems like to me. Someone told my classmate when she turns 40 she had to cut her hair. It's just an age! It's odd to me that you can be 39 one week and your hair is fine, but when the clock hits midnight - you are still the same person with the same looks 5 minutes ago but you have to chop your hair and suddenly change your wardrobe for a set of pantsuits and change who you are and what you want in the blink of an eye because the number assigned to your life? I mean sure I understand over time things will change but you can go with the flow a little slower. I don't know why anyone wouldn't try to maintain an active lifestyle and a modern look if they could.

ETA: about the ad, I notice the women tend to look a little younger. They of course are going to go for a certain type for the ad to attract men.

Old 06-26-2013, 08:28 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,705,006 times
Quote:
I am about ten years younger than the youngest baby boomers. I can't believe that people like Christie Brinklie and Suzanne Somers are over the age of 60. They look so young.

I see people like Debbie Boone ("You Light up My Life") advertising for "lifestyle lifts" which I guess are facelifts.

And there are numerous ads for anti-aging products for women and men.

And then there are the medicine ads for men with certain ED issues.

And now there are numerous ads for adult diapers, showing young men and women dancing around in evening attire while supposedly modeling adult diapers.

Obesity is now considered a disease.

My question is sincere and I am not putting down baby boomers. I think as a generation they are not willing to go gracefully into that dark night and will fight aging every step of the way.

However, I always thought it would be a great time in older people's lives to let their hair go grey, put on a little weight, and just wear comfortable clothes and relax about their appearance. Isn't it exhausting for 60 year olds to try so hard to maintain the appearance of a 20 year old? What's wrong with being 60? And looking 60? Healthy is a good thing. Why try to strain yourself or use drugs to keep up appearances that your body hasn't changed in forty years? My grandparents and great-grandparents were healthy from gardening and walking and RELAXING and not working so much.
Why? I'm 51 and I've always cared about my appearance. Why should I stop now? I'm not trying to look 20, but I don't see any need to switch to elastic waist pants and SAS shoes. Not yet anyway. I still care about being healthy, being able to enjoy exercise and outdoor activities. It's not a matter of trying to look younger--it's about being fully engaged in life.

Old 06-26-2013, 08:38 AM

8,757 posts, read 9,462,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR2012 View Post
Doncha know, old is 10 years older than your (a person in general's) current age

Lot of truth to that, one of my best friends used to act as if I were 20 years her senior when she spoke of the differences in our age. She's just 7 years my junior and most people assume she's the elder to me even though I call her my lil sister. LOL

I don't think its adults wanting to feel like an adolescent! (the ad is saying it because they are excited to be dating again. It's not making yourself feel like that by working hard to maintain a physical standard)

I think people in general just wanna feel maybe 5-10 years younger. And "feel" is the key word. Who wants to feel old, creaky, tired, exhausted, etc?

Yeah I hate the old thing where once you hit 40 as a woman you have to chop off all your hair! That is a very outdated notion if you ask me. As long as it's healthy then what's the problem?

I think part of this whole thing is people are done with the thought, "Once you turn XX age you have to chop your hair, change your wardrobe and who you are" because that's what it seems like to me. Someone told my classmate when she turns 40 she had to cut her hair. It's just an age! It's odd to me that you can be 39 one week and your hair is fine, but when the clock hits midnight - you are still the same person with the same looks 5 minutes ago but you have to chop your hair and suddenly change your wardrobe for a set of pantsuits and change who you are and what you want in the blink of an eye because the number assigned to your life? I mean sure I understand over time things will change but you can go with the flow a little slower. I don't know why anyone wouldn't try to maintain an active lifestyle and a modern look if they could.

ETA: about the ad, I notice the women tend to look a little younger. They of course are going to go for a certain type for the ad to attract men.
I just hit 55 this past April, so I'm thinking of moving into senior housing and sporting moo-moos, I'm getting tired of trying to keep up with those 40 somethings. Honestly, I do sometimes consider the benefits of completely fading into the backdrop and then I get an invite to a party, no way am I showing up looking like grandma moses when I still have some moves in me. But I'll leave the medical procedures to others, no thank you, don't want the Kenny Rogers' smile.

Old 06-26-2013, 08:44 AM

15,962 posts, read 7,021,038 times
Quote:
I am about ten years younger than the youngest baby boomers. I can't believe that people like Christie Brinklie and Suzanne Somers are over the age of 60. They look so young.

I see people like Debbie Boone ("You Light up My Life") advertising for "lifestyle lifts" which I guess are facelifts.

And there are numerous ads for anti-aging products for women and men.

And then there are the medicine ads for men with certain ED issues.

And now there are numerous ads for adult diapers, showing young men and women dancing around in evening attire while supposedly modeling adult diapers.

Obesity is now considered a disease.

My question is sincere and I am not putting down baby boomers. I think as a generation they are not willing to go gracefully into that dark night and will fight aging every step of the way.

However, I always thought it would be a great time in older people's lives to let their hair go grey, put on a little weight, and just wear comfortable clothes and relax about their appearance.

Isn't it exhausting for 60 year olds to try so hard to maintain the appearance of a 20 year old? What's wrong with being 60? And looking 60? Healthy is a good thing. Why try to strain yourself or use drugs to keep up appearances that your body hasn't changed in forty years? My grandparents and great-grandparents were healthy from gardening and walking and RELAXING and not working so much.
I am sorry but it seems to me YOU are worried about being 40 and want older people to stop looking young :-)

You are also conflating a lot of different things that have nothing to do with dressing and looking attractive at any age. Obesity may not be a disease but it does lead to many diseases that shorten life and its quality. Everyone regardless of age should try to be fit, active, and engaged with life. When you do that you do look attractive.

But I agree with you that artificial means like surgery and Botox and other ways of looking "young" is exhausting. The mistake is in thinking there is a way to look old properly. One only needs to dress in a way that makes them feel good, groomed, vital and attractive. It is not always easy but it is fun trying.

Old 06-26-2013, 08:56 AM

1,484 posts, read 2,258,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post

But I agree with you that artificial means like surgery and Botox and other ways of looking "young" is exhausting. The mistake is in thinking there is a way to look old properly. One only needs to dress in a way that makes them feel good, groomed, vital and attractive. It is not always easy but it is fun trying.

Yeah for me, botox or surgery doesn't interest me. But if you can drink lots of water, wear sunblock, and be healthy, why not? I agree that maybe people just want to feel good and vital and enjoy life and not be banned to sit in the easy chair with Wheel of Fortune for the last 20 years of their life. If you live to be 85, and you are 65, then you have 20 years left. 20 years is a long time to just sit on the sidelines letting yourself go. Wouldn't you prefer to take care of yourself and have an active lifestyle as long as possible?

Old 06-26-2013, 09:24 AM

I don't have a problem with being over the age of 40 or looking and acting my age.

When a man dresses like a drag queen for a show, you know he is still a man dressing like a woman for a show.

When older people try to dress up to look and act like younger people, that is the same impression to me.

It's not that they actually look like they're young. It just looks like they are older and trying to feel like they are in high school again.

Sometimes older women keep their longer hair to rebel against the stereotype of cutting their hair shorter to avoid looking like their mothers. However, sometimes the longer hair drags down their facial features and makes them look older. Then they think they need Botox and a facelift, when they just need to change their hair, clothes, and make up from how they wore it in high school. When men do the comb-over, it makes them look older. A haircut would look better.

Old 06-26-2013, 09:25 AM

I am surprised that obesity is considered a disease now, when before people were just expected to exercise and watch what they ate. I am not obese.

Old 06-26-2013, 09:38 AM

207 posts, read 566,054 times
Many people over 50 just want to stay in shape and they live very active lives.

Funny but I would have women 20 years younger than me come up to me in the gym and say that they only hope they can look as good as me when they are my age. I would think to myself...how can they expect that when don't even look as good when they are 20 years younger than me.

I keep waiting for the day I no longer care what I look like but it hasn't come yet.

Old 06-26-2013, 11:02 AM

526 posts, read 898,689 times
I've found people I know (60s) aren't dressing to look younger or perceived "age appropriate", but basically staying in the clothing that fits their mind/lifestyle. and buying what fits comfortably (mentally & physically)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty