Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2013, 06:38 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,312,651 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amisi View Post
Did you ever see the episode of "The King of Queens" where Carrie did this?? She had a whole system and was buying stuff from Gucci, Prada, etc etc etc wearing it and then returning it within the 30 day return policy limit. It was really funny.
Those of us who have worked in retail and get ripped off constantly by people pulling stunts like that don't really think of it as all that humorous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2013, 08:31 PM

102,192 posts, read 107,809,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditi Jyoti View Post
Wassup with that? It's mainly hats and gym shoes, from what I have seen. And I saw this years ago and was shocked to see it again within the last few months!

I have two theories on what it may symbolize: either to show off the price or because the original "taggers" were shoplifting and it became a fad
What gym shoes come with tags on them?! The price tag is on the box.

Old 08-12-2013, 10:14 PM

658 posts, read 1,553,902 times
People do that primarily for one of two reasons:

1) They plan on returning it.
2) They are pricks and want people to see how much they spent on it.

Old 08-13-2013, 09:45 AM

8,757 posts, read 9,460,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayela View Post
I guess I'm a little out of it because the first I heard of the practice was when Macklemore's '
Thrift Shop' came out. The lyrics are:

I'm gonna pop some tags
only got twenty dollars in my pocket
I - I - I'm hunting, looking for a come-up
This is <bleep>'ing awesome

I had no idea what 'popping tags' referred to - lol! Kinda wish I'd had the internet around when I was younger - it's nice not to have to ask my 'cool friends' silly questions.

I have to love the way the song takes on the mindset that new and expensive is somehow 'better', and that it's the person that rocks the clothes, not the other way around.

ETA: there is some profanity in that video - just an FYI for those that might be offended by it.
I've never heard the term either. I've seen clips of that video and even then I thought, how cute the video looked but didn't know what the guy was singing about. That was awesome. I might have to look the kid up to see some of his other videos now.

I've managed a few woman's clothing stores/boutiques years gone by and it's well known that many a person will buy garments for special occasions wear them, keep the tags on and return, we know they wore them the items often reeked of perfumes or not so favorable body order. Some people had the decency to get the items dry cleaned. But back in the day, the customer was always right so more often than not, we took the merchandise back without a fuss.

Old 08-13-2013, 09:47 AM

117 posts, read 201,974 times
Default No they don't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
What gym shoes come with tags on them?! The price tag is on the box.
I saw a dude with a new pair of high-tops and seriously thought of saying-- "Hey, just wanted to let you know that your price tag is still on!"

I buy shoes myself with the tag on the shoe.

Old 08-14-2013, 10:25 AM

855 posts, read 1,384,019 times
Quote:
This is an urban trend. I think I saw it in the '90s...

Do you know how to link stuff on here? I just Googled some funny sheet about it

They are saying it's a thug thing...
When Vanilla Ice and Snow were cool, I saw lots of guys of all races(not just black guys) proudly wearing baseball caps and sneakers with the tags hanging off. I could never understand the appeal of it or the reasoning behind it. I never thought it looked cool but more silly than anything.

It's like the guys who persistently wear their pants at their knees and show their underwear.

All seems foolish to me.

Old 08-15-2013, 04:52 AM

37,593 posts, read 45,960,046 times
Quote:
Wassup with that? It's mainly hats and gym shoes, from what I have seen. And I saw this years ago and was shocked to see it again within the last few months!

I have two theories on what it may symbolize: either to show off the price or because the original "taggers" were shoplifting and it became a fad
I've never seen anyone do this. How weird.

Old 08-16-2013, 01:23 PM

11 posts, read 32,281 times
I think it shows the discounted prize tags.

Old 08-18-2013, 05:40 AM

747 posts, read 1,681,832 times
I've never seen anything like this before. I know some times if I've been in a hurry I have forgotten to take off a tag or a size sticker. However when I notice it I quickly remove it. Maybe the few people you have seen have simply just forgotten to remove tags/stickers? I'm not sure how in the world you could leave tags on clothes or even hats for long, because when you wash them it will be destroyed. Eventually everything needs a good washing. The only other reason i'd see leaving the tags on is if you plan to return the item after one use.

Old 03-04-2021, 03:23 AM

1 posts, read 1,372 times
It's so if you look a certain way and your in a store wearing the same clothes they are selling and get accused of trying to walk out without paying for something you can prove it's not from that store.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty