Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2013, 09:28 PM

1,909 posts, read 2,541,897 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rezfreak View Post
Vibrams are the "barefoot" shoes that look like toe socks kinda shoe Its basically like walking barefoot with a little bit of strategic extra cushinioning - its made for running.
Thanks. I just used 'the google' and found them. Yuck! I remember them now.

My brother bought me a pair of red fuzzy toe socks for my birthday. I promptly sewed just above the toes and chopped them off.

I don't like the feel of things between all my toes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I still don't understand how people walk in them. How do you keep them on your feet? Sort of grip your toes or what? Doesn't that give you cramps?
I have no problem walking in them, or keeping them on. I usually only wear them when I make a quick run to the store.
I do get leg cramps while walking in them (I actually just noticed this a week ago when I decided to go for a leisurely walk wearing flip flops.), and much prefer sneakers for walking.

BuckeyezRule, I always called them "thongs" until thong underwear came to be. The looks one gets when they say they love wearing thongs can be hilarious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2013, 10:35 PM

1,484 posts, read 2,261,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tulani View Post
I always called them "thongs" until thong underwear came to be. The looks one gets when they say they love wearing thongs can be hilarious.
ME TOO!

They were called thongs growing up in the 80's!!

Old 09-02-2013, 10:36 PM

1,484 posts, read 2,261,420 times
I can't wear cheapy ones like the Old Navy ones.
I have a nicer pair, they give me no trouble.
I wear them a lot, but wouldn't to church, a nice restaurant, or to work.
But to the store, to a casual restaurant, friends house, sporting event, sure, why not.

Old 09-03-2013, 12:18 AM

2,763 posts, read 5,766,521 times
Quote:
I still don't understand how people walk in them. How do you keep them on your feet? Sort of grip your toes or what? Doesn't that give you cramps?
I've never "gripped" mine.. they just stay on...

Old 09-03-2013, 07:09 AM

15,713 posts, read 9,550,354 times
Not sure why this got moved to the "Fashion" board. The original question was asked for a parenting issue. But I appreciate the responses I got.

Old 09-03-2013, 07:12 AM

15,713 posts, read 9,550,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostnip View Post
Get the kid some nice sandal-y flip-flops. Bam, problem solved.
See earlier in this post. That's what we did. The flip flops she was wearing everywhere were the very cheap kind made for no other reason than to wear to the pool or beach. They are not appropiate to wear to a grocery store or to church where we were going on Sunday. In time, she will be old enough to make her own choices about foot wear. But not yet.

Old 09-03-2013, 08:38 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,933,770 times
Personally I feel uncomfortable wearing any kind of open toed shoes. I'm prone to accidents so I never leave the house without my well shined steel toes.

Old 09-03-2013, 03:55 PM

9,186 posts, read 6,365,227 times
Quote:
I can't get over that people wear flip-flops to work in the city (Manhattan). It's almost like being barefoot on streets that you know dogs and people have urinated and spit on. But that's their choice.
Manhattan is bad? Try Boston for disgusting pavement. Although the dirty streets are nothing compared to something I saw on the Discovery Channel a while back.

Evidently in Brazil or Argentina they have some sort of really small animal species that is hard to see on the ground and poisons barefoot humans via a very quick pin prick-like action. By the time a human feels something it is already too late.

Quote:
My daughter likes flip-flops, but she is grown now. I never could wear them. I don't understand how you get them to stay on your feet. I cannot wear any shoes or sandals with something holding them on to the back of my feet. You have to sort of shuffle and always be conscious of trying to keep your shoes on your feet. Too much effort--i just want to WALK without having to think about it.
Me too. I am a bit of a speedwalker when I'm out and about and I need shoes that stay on reliably.

Old 09-03-2013, 04:01 PM

9,186 posts, read 6,365,227 times
At the risk of sounding like C-D's resident curmudgeon, I must ask everyone why did humankind invent boots, athletic shoes and other styles of robust footwear in the first place? As far as I'm concerned the answer is simple. The world is an inhospitable place for bare feet. Animals have much more natural protection built into their claws, paws and hoofs. Humans don't.

Old 09-03-2013, 04:20 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,218,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtkinsonDan View Post
At the risk of sounding like C-D's resident curmudgeon, I must ask everyone why did humankind invent boots, athletic shoes and other styles of robust footwear in the first place? As far as I'm concerned the answer is simple. The world is an inhospitable place for bare feet. Animals have much more natural protection built into their claws, paws and hoofs. Humans don't.
I agree, although some people end up with bunions, corns, etc on their feet either due to shoes or shoes exacerbate the problem. Then some people get funk growing and they need to let those babies breathe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty