Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2013, 06:12 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,310,566 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
Mad Style | Tom & Lorenzo

The clothing choices are VERY VERY well thought out and VERY purposeful.

This blog has an incredible breakdown of exactly why certain colors/styles are used. After I started reading it it gave me a whole new outlook on the show.
I just started watching Mad Men on Netflix. I want to read/watch the blog but don't want any spoilers. Bookmarking for later! Great site!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2013, 06:18 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times
LOL when I get off work, I'm literally undressing in the car - taking off earrings, shoes, scarves, etc. Undoing my belt. By the time I'm home I look like I've been through a wind machine. I cannot WAIT to get into my sweats or yoga pants and a t-shirt, with a hoodie in the wintertime. Bare feet three seasons out of the year and fuzzy socks in the winter.

At work, since this is the south, I've always been able to wear dressy capris and usually open toed shoes, or skirts with no hose, but otherwise, it's all business - usually a jacket of some sort, NEVER anything low cut, and NEVER short skirts or sleeveless, tight stuff. I've worked in professional environments (HR and banking) most of my career, and I can assure you that I wasn't working with anyone (long term, that is) who wore 4 inch stiletto heels either - feet won't take it for long.

I've worked with several women over the years who tried wearing low cut, tight clothing that drew the attention to their bustline. Interestingly enough, not a one of those women "made it" in a professional environment. They went down the road somewhere - I have no idea where - but I was personally glad to be working in a professional environment where dressing like a hoochie mama wasn't considered a wise career move.

Old 09-26-2013, 06:33 PM

3,032 posts, read 4,736,446 times
I knew a girl who worked in a call center who wondered why she never got anywhere... she wore spaghetti strapped camisoles every day!! you could see her bra strap. She also wore her jeans about three sizes too tight, as evidenced by her muffin top.... and when she sad down, unless she had a hoodie on the chair, there was not much left to the imagination!

We worked in a place where jeans were acceptable daily.... but there's no environment where seeing someone's bra strap should be okay!

Old 09-27-2013, 05:40 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Another fun only-on-TV thing is women who get dressed up to hang around their own homes. I know when I've got a lazy Saturday planned, I'll totally wear a cocktail dress and heels.
Yeah...look at I Love Lucy. She was a housewife...in full-length and tea-length dresses and heels and hose...just around the house...

Old 09-27-2013, 11:09 AM

2,279 posts, read 4,745,007 times
I love the Tom & Lorenza Mad Men blog!

Great topic - it's no wonder so many people get themselves into financial trouble, they think they should be able to afford a certain lifestyle because the waitress/secretary/teacher on TV can.

I also cringe at a lot of the "fabulous clothes to wear to work!" spreads in some of the fashion magazines. Not many industries where you can wear spaghetti strap tops, sequins, and leather to work!

On a related note:

What 6 TV Homes would cost in Real Life

Old 09-27-2013, 11:21 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,883,248 times
Sometimes I am a little jealous of what people on tv wear too work. I love the pencil skirt blouse look.

Until recently I felt super over dresses when I put on a dress and patterned tights in the land of casual tech companies. Now I see more ladies who are dressed up so I don't feel cuckoo when I am semi dressy. I do tend to add something to make my outfit more casual though. Ether via shoes or my jacket/cardigan or accessories.

I am on my phone, please forgive the typos.

Old 09-27-2013, 11:25 AM

29,747 posts, read 34,396,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wry_Martini View Post
I also cringe at a lot of the "fabulous clothes to wear to work!" spreads in some of the fashion magazines. Not many industries where you can wear spaghetti strap tops, sequins, and leather to work!
Those always assume that all women work for fashion magazines in Manhattan, or at least in highly corporate environments. A high school teacher in Iowa probably isn't going to be wearing platform heels to stand in front of a class all day.

Old 09-27-2013, 02:19 PM

19,441 posts, read 27,844,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
The 90's hit show Ally McBeal was infamous for the women at the law firm wearing ridiculously skimpy and provocative outfits. The actresses were required to maintain near-anorexia figures. The fabulous Jane Krakowski left the show over this issue.
She's done fine ever since!
While I agree with your comments, Jane Krakowski did not leave the show over any issue. She was a major player in the final season, and did appear in the final episode.

Old 09-27-2013, 05:02 PM

692 posts, read 1,004,923 times
I gave up on Glee after the 3rd season or so, but I remember the character Emma wore Kate Spade dresses on the regular. They easily go for $400 a pop. Who knew Ohio public school guidance counselors made that much money?

Old 09-27-2013, 09:32 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,534,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
While I agree with your comments, Jane Krakowski did not leave the show over any issue. She was a major player in the final season, and did appear in the final episode.
You're right, it was Courtney Thorne Smith.

Krakowski, after leaving the show, did speak out about the pressure she felt to lose weight. And Portia de Rossi often cites her stint on Ally McBeal as a negative influence on her body-concept that eventually led to full blown anorexia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty