Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2013, 06:07 PM

9,556 posts, read 20,804,861 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitten01 View Post
We live in a middle class suburb. I have noticed though that people seem way laid back in terms of clothing out here. I'm from Chicago where it is unheard of to go out to dinner and not be dressed up. It was a complete culture shock to me to go to a 4 or 5 star restaurant and see people in jeans and tennis shoes.

It's probably another reason why I stand out. I don't mind though...I like dressing up even when I'm Just going to the mall.
Here a lot of people go to a concert or something in jeans and a T-shirt. Also some people wear thongs (flip-flops not just the underwater haha) and shorts and singlets to church. I should say Perth where I grew up moreso than Melbourne.

Old 10-20-2013, 06:09 PM

706 posts, read 1,180,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freelee View Post
She is obviously a narcissist. They see themselves totally different vs how the rest of the world see's them.
Hmmm...I have a background in psychology and have a pretty good understanding of narcissism. I do have a very healthy self esteem, but a narcissist I am not.

Old 10-20-2013, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Here a lot of people go to a concert or something in jeans and a T-shirt. Also some people wear thongs (flip-flops not just the underwater haha) and shorts and singlets to church. I should say Perth where I grew up moreso than Melbourne.
Yeah, I could see going to a concert like that depending on the venue. I just wouldn't go to a nice restaurant in jeans and flip flops. Again, I think people's ideas on what is or isn't appropriate in terms of clothing differs depending on what region of the world you're in.

Old 10-20-2013, 06:17 PM

324 posts, read 655,294 times
if you're so hot, no profile pic?

Old 10-20-2013, 06:20 PM

I have an album of pics but I don't know if they are visible to the public.

ETA...I checked they were marked private. They're public now.

Old 10-20-2013, 06:24 PM

okie dokey then. Well honestly, I wish I have the self esteem you do! Different stroke for different folks. Have a good day

Old 10-20-2013, 06:27 PM

11,558 posts, read 12,055,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
There are many threads here saying 'is it okay for ____ to wear ____' or saying that certain clothes are inappropriate for a certain age/gender/body type, or they send out the wrong message.

Honestly, I just want to express my total disdain for that sort of fashion policing. Not that I go around wearing dresses, but honestly, especially little things like how short your shorts are or what colour your shirt is, if you think it looks good to hell with everyone else and their judgements!

How often do you find people judge others by how they look? Is it something you and your peer group talk about much? Do you make judgements on people based on what they dress? He she's a poser, or a ****, or he's having a midlife crisis? It's natural to judge but do some people honestly have nothing better to do than judge something so superficial?
I couldn't agree with you more! Excellent posting!!!

A gal I knew made a comment one time that surprised me; it was summertime and she was critical about some women we saw wearing blue jeans. She said, "What's with the jeans?!!!" My thoughts? Who cares???

The group of gals I now pal around with are not fashion snobs, we all wear what we feel comfy in, we are not clothes addicts, and we usually wear our things until they just wear out. My kind of people!!!

Old 10-20-2013, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freelee View Post
okie dokey then. Well honestly, I wish I have the self esteem you do! Different stroke for different folks. Have a good day
You do the same!

Old 10-20-2013, 06:34 PM

11,879 posts, read 14,211,423 times
It is always important to dress up for the occasion. People usually form a wrong impression if a guy wears baggy shorts and a dirty T shirt into a fine dining restaurent where he is supposed to host a business meeting.

However, I hate the "men should wax all their hair to go shirtless" idea. I like chest hair over my abs, as it makes me feel like a real man. Why should I wax all my hair to take my shirt off while swimming.

Old 10-20-2013, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi from the Brunswicks View Post
It is always important to dress up for the occasion. People usually form a wrong impression if a guy wears baggy shorts and a dirty T shirt into a fine dining restaurent where he is supposed to host a business meeting.

However, I hate the "men should wax all their hair to go shirtless" idea. I like chest hair over my abs, as it makes me feel like a real man. Why should I wax all my hair to take my shirt off while swimming.

Smooth chest for men is in, a hairy chest is not sexy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty