Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2013, 11:24 PM

9,007 posts, read 13,841,954 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kgreenel View Post
I love my extensions!! I noticed that 90% of the replies are incorrect so I'm not even going to bother correcting them.. To each their own. Weave patting is ghetto and tacky. If your extensions will come out because you itched your scalp then you should fire the person who did your hair.

What about people who want their hair back quickly after Chemo? I have a friend going through something right now and I gave her all my secrets and tips and helped her find a good stylist and she feels so much better with her long hair back ..
Off topic,but why do people used "itched" when they mean "scratch"?
I have never heard of itching something that needs to be scratched.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2013, 07:26 AM

262 posts, read 547,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
If you take good care of your hair, it starts to grow very quickly. My hair grows about an inch a month.

So does mine. Just because someone wears hair extensions, doesn't mean they don't take care of their hair.

Old 12-23-2013, 06:27 PM

1,373 posts, read 2,958,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Who cares what your opinion is when we have facts?

Low vitamin c, anemia, low copper, etc are all much more likely than something like Sabrina's syndrome or trichothiodystrophy (two of only a handful of known causes of genetically brittle hair) which have even more serious symptoms.

Its one week before 2014. Grow up & stop sounding silly. Get off your high horse, its a donkey you are riding on dear.

FACTS

1) If everyone's nails grew so fast, there would be no gel nails etc
2) If everyone's hair grew so fast & if all hair types were acceptable the hair business would be dead but in the real world, some people's hair wont grow like Eve's mother.

3) Then you have people whose hair can grow BUT is not socially acceptable because they are blacks & their hair is different & odd at the work place

Will I encounter problems at my corporate workplace, if I change my hairstyle to an Afro?

Old 12-24-2013, 03:22 AM

18,258 posts, read 22,535,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angrymillionaire View Post
Its one week before 2014. Grow up & stop sounding silly. Get off your high horse, its a donkey you are riding on dear.

FACTS

2) If everyone's hair grew so fast & if all hair types were acceptable the hair business would be dead but in the real world, some people's hair wont grow like Eve's mother.

3) Then you have people whose hair can grow BUT is not socially acceptable because they are blacks & their hair is different & odd at the work place

Will I encounter problems at my corporate workplace, if I change my hairstyle to an Afro?
Self hate runs so DEEP in some individuals. This has to be one of the most ridiculous posts I've read on the Fashion & Beauty forum.

Please explain how this hair is "not socially acceptable"?

Old 12-25-2013, 07:52 AM

2,429 posts, read 4,023,230 times
The conversation has morphed -- but I'll chime in.....

Well, there's strictly 'socially' acceptable (which could be a broad category of situations) -- and then a subset of that is professionally acceptable (which might be narrower.) But work is a social situation

I don't know that I've see many doctors, factory workers, lawyers, nurses, top sales people, news anchors or corporate employees who have hair styles like the above. Clearly there are places and situations where the styles above would be given the side-eye. And I'm not even talking about for safety reasons.

So let's not be naive. There are certain styles -- ethnic or otherwise -- that are not acceptable socially. By not acceptable I mean the people who wear them are judged or not perceived positively because of that hair style...there's a negative reaction of repercussion of some sort -- even if very slight and noticed by the person wearing that style.

Old 12-25-2013, 10:31 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,835,634 times
Hair density varies by natural color, i.e., hairs per square inch. So some people will have thinner hair. I only know redheads have the least number per square inch b/c I am a redhead. It's usually curly/ kinky (mine was kinky when young & I am white) so it didn't look thin. Now it does as the curl is gone with age. I could use extensions but I am not vain enough to pay that kind of money!

Old 12-25-2013, 11:11 AM

18,258 posts, read 22,535,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdflk View Post

Well, there's strictly 'socially' acceptable (which could be a broad category of situations) -- and then a subset of that is professionally acceptable (which might be narrower.) But work is a social situation

I don't know that I've see many doctors, factory workers, lawyers, nurses, top sales people, news anchors or corporate employees who have hair styles like the above. Clearly there are places and situations where the styles above would be given the side-eye. And I'm not even talking about for safety reasons.

So let's not be naive. There are certain styles -- ethnic or otherwise -- that are not acceptable socially. By not acceptable I mean the people who wear them are judged or not perceived positively because of that hair style...there's a negative reaction of repercussion of some sort -- even if very slight and noticed by the person wearing that style.
I know MANY women, including myself, who are professionals (physicians, attorneys, educators, corporate, etc.) who wear their hair in natural styles with no adverse effects to our careers. When you focus on more important aspects such as education, credentials, confidence and competence then there is no need to worry about how straight you have to chemically alter your hair to please some invisible Wizard of Oz who hates curly/kinky hair.

What I find most interesting about this discussion and being "natural", in general, is that the only pushback against natural hair seems to come from other black people. And to be perfectly honest, I receive more compliments about my hair from Caucasians than from black people (particularly blacks in the South).

Old 12-25-2013, 11:50 AM

2,429 posts, read 4,023,230 times
Personally, I couldn't care less how a person wears his or her hair. But for some to say (and calipoppy you didn't say this I'm just talking in general) certain styles are equally as "socially acceptable" as others with no negative repercussions is just not so. Now, that may be because of others prejudices but it still IS.

Dare I guess that the same women pictured above with those styles MIGHT (not would, just MIGHT) have a less chance of being hired as a receptionist at certain offices, or a news anchor than if their hair was more mainstream? Heck, I think it was just this year a news anchor was in the news because her station pulled her because she cut her hair super short.

Would those with the above opinion also say dreadlocks are equally as socially acceptable as other styles. TRUE -- dreadlocks have come a LOOONG way, in acceptability. But to say they're always equally as acceptable is just not true.

If you want a pharmaceutical sales job -- try getting it with dreads sticking out of a tall Rasta hat. I'm not saying you WON'T get it. Don't be surprised if you don't.

Again, I think it's GREAT that all clean hair styles are becoming more acceptable. But as another post points out IF certain styles were equally acceptable -- a poster here wouldn't have had to ask in another thread about her natural hairstyle being acceptable at her office, or worry about the negative consequences of such a decision.

This thread started out about whether a person should get a weave. People can wear weaves if they want. I'm more interested in the psychological reasons behind that decision. Some have said they don't feel pretty (and/or socially acceptable) without a weave. THAT is what I find disheartening. (and quite sad actually)

Old 12-25-2013, 01:36 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,736,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angrymillionaire View Post

FACTS

I am amazed at the consistency of your posts. They are uniformly wrong over and over again.

1. Just because a product makes a claim does not mean it us true, the FDA does not regulate nail gel.
2. It disentangle grow because they are not taking proper care of it. As for the hair business, if people do take care of their hair and use good product, instead of that crap loaded with things like sulfates, than they would go out of business. Try to use that small amount of brain you have, and think about it. It is in the hair businesses best interest if people think their hair won't grow. Duh.
3. Odd? Different? You should be ashamed if yourself. Their is nothing odd about curly hair. There is nothing did about growing your own hair. What's odd it staining your skin with iodine salts in order to look like a race you are not a member of then make derogatory remarks about their hair.

Old 12-25-2013, 01:38 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,736,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdflk View Post

Where do you live? Because I see many professional black woman with those styles now. And I live in the NE.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty