Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2014, 10:34 AM

11,157 posts, read 14,003,340 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley868 View Post
We're 27 now. But yes, I always hated that town. There aren't even any jobs there. I couldn't wait to move out. As soon as I had the money, I left. It's mainly the girls who do it.
Wow, did we grow up in the same town? When I left the town where I went to high school I joined the service. Even on the worst day at boot camp in the Marine Corps I didn't wish I were back in that town!

You can't (or shouldn't) let people convince you their opinion of you is the definitive truth. People always seem to have something to say. If they don't like your face they don't like you. If they don't like your weight they don't like you. Maybe your hair color isn't right. Or maybe you don't dress a certain way. Maybe your skin has blemishes. Whatever the case, some people will find a reason not to like you.

That certainly is evident on this thread. Some people are pretty open about it, others try to come up with an intelligent argument to justify their irrational dislike for and fear of overweight people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2014, 10:44 AM

121 posts, read 164,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeaceAndLove42 View Post
Yeah, as much as I hate fat women using the term "plus sized", I HATE how now saying someone is "curvy" is a euphemism for fat. Isn't that offensive to women that actually DO have curves? I'm not trying to brag by any means but even at 42 I exercise and eat right and can say I have curves. I'm certainly not the best looking or best in shape woman ever but at least I'm not what most would consider "fat" and enjoy wearing things that show off my curves; as do many other women.

I'm sure other women will hate me for saying this but ever since I heard it it has REALLY bugged me. And while I agree in not making fun of others for being fat, personally if a woman who is fat claims she is "curvy" (most of the time a more accurate description would be a Gatorade bottle) they open themselves up to that kind of criticism.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
Fact is....... "curvy" has now morphed into the PC term for fat.
Yes, it has. And the implications are a bit worrisome.

I'm not exactly offended by fat/obese women usurping the term "curvy". I just think it is inaccurate, silly and kind of delusional. And just another way to "normalize" obesity.

I used to watch the show What Not to Wear, and over the years they had increasing numbers of fat/obese women on the show that would talk about being "curvy" and showing off their "curves". The problem is, these were women with large apple/barrel shaped torsos or just plain huge with their only curves being fat rolls.

To me, a "curvy woman" curves in at the waist. It's a concave curve, if you will. These women misusing and distorting the term... if they had any curves at all, they were in the wrong direction... convex curves where it was supposed to be concave.

I do agree that overweight women can still be accurately described as curvy if they have a waist that is noticeably smaller than their hips/bust. I gained about 20 pounds at one time, (I'm 5'10") and I still had a curvy, hourglass shape even though I was overweight. If I gained a lot of weight, especially belly fat and was obese, there's no way I would try to tell myself I was just curvy. I would be deluding myself, and how is that helpful?

I'm all for self-acceptance and feeling good about yourself, but it's also important to be honest with yourself too. A woman who tells herself she's "curvy" when she's actually obese, with a waist measurement that's larger than her hips (very unhealthy), probably isn't going to be sufficiently motivated to make necessary positive changes to reach a healthier weight.

I think the alarmingly high percentage of overweight/obese people is skewing our perceptions of what we think of as normal... and that is a dangerous trend. I didn't feel particularly overweight, even when I was. But now that I am at a very healthy size and shape for my body type (I lost around 40 pounds total mainly just by giving up gluten and corn), I feel so much better and have a lot more energy. At my heaviest, I was just over the line in the overweight category, and still pretty well proportioned, so it was easy to ignore and kid myself that it wasn't getting to be a problem. I had to be more honest with myself to take action and make changes. It was totally worth the small amount of effort it took.

Old 02-09-2014, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chum Kiu View Post
Care to post pics or links to pics that are examples of what you are talking about? I am of the opinion that obese women prefer to call themselves curvy because they feel bad about calling themselves fat which is what they actually are.
Well for starters I am married to one and have posted a few pics of her already. Before I was married I dated a couple pretty curvy girls who were bigger girls too. Or you could pick up a Lane Bryant catalogue (careful, you might get excited)! Or you could fire up google and see for yourself. It doesn't take too much digging to find pictures of bigger girls who have curvy figures.

BBW

Curvy Girls Don't Cry, They Get Fly | Ooh La La Blog

Also, here's an article on a "plus sized" Barbie. It's sort of on topic with this thread.

Plus-sized Barbie slammed for promoting obesity: Ignites debate on body image - National Celebrity Fitness and Health | Examiner.com

(If I were a Ken doll I'd be all over the plus sized barbie! )

I am not arguing that all people who claim to be curvy actually are. But as I've said already, being curvy and being overweight is not mutually exclusive.

Old 02-09-2014, 11:28 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,258,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chum Kiu View Post
Care to post pics or links to pics that are examples of what you are talking about? I am of the opinion that obese women prefer to call themselves curvy because they feel bad about calling themselves fat which is what they actually are.

The following women qualify to be called CURVY:

Kim Kardashian
That chick from Mad Men
Sofia Vergara
Ariel Winter
Salma Hayek (remember her snake dance scene?)
Scarlette Johanseen

The following women fail to meet the qualifications and/or minimum specification to be called CURVY:

Rebel Wilson
Melissa McCarthy
That big Judd chick. Don't remember her first name, but you all know who she is.
Gaborie Sibjodbedjiabiedeji (sp)
Rosie

Point being that fat does not = curvy, but because for some reason people think fat is as bad as the "N" word, no one wants to use when in fact that is exactly what they are - FAT.
Christina Hendricks is that chick from Mad Men.

She's great. She goes up and down in weight, but still maintains a Coke bottle set of curves.

I can relate, because I'm shaped like that. Exactly, in fact. I've been quite thin. I've been in the middle. I've been a bit larger. I fluctuate. I keep the Coke bottle, though. It has to do with bone structure.

I never realized just how huge my chest would get until I took a medication that packed on some pounds. I'd been about 100-110 pounds for years and a 34C. Gained up to 125 and I hit a D cup. Go figure. LOL.

Scaleable curves.

Old 02-09-2014, 12:02 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,876,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
But that doesn't mean that an overweight woman is not curvy just because she is overweight. The term is not exclusive by weight, but by general body type.
Exactly. Curvy is about proportions. I.e. That Brazilian model Flavia.

Old 02-09-2014, 12:07 PM

1,030 posts, read 1,578,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
I googled her and she's not fat or overweight at all. And there is a big difference between being overweight and "fat". I agree that a woman can be overweight and still retain curves but it's a whole other ball game if she's fat/obese.

Old 02-09-2014, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeaceAndLove42 View Post
I googled her and she's not fat or overweight at all. And there is a big difference between being overweight and "fat". I agree that a woman can be overweight and still retain curves but it's a whole other ball game if she's fat/obese.
I wonder where the line is. We're talking physical appearance so surely there is an eye test we can use to differentiate. Or does the weight itself determine it? Or is it just a case by case basis?

Old 02-09-2014, 12:58 PM

255 posts, read 407,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
Wow, did we grow up in the same town? When I left the town where I went to high school I joined the service. Even on the worst day at boot camp in the Marine Corps I didn't wish I were back in that town!

You can't (or shouldn't) let people convince you their opinion of you is the definitive truth. People always seem to have something to say. If they don't like your face they don't like you. If they don't like your weight they don't like you. Maybe your hair color isn't right. Or maybe you don't dress a certain way. Maybe your skin has blemishes. Whatever the case, some people will find a reason not to like you.

That certainly is evident on this thread. Some people are pretty open about it, others try to come up with an intelligent argument to justify their irrational dislike for and fear of overweight people.
Well I am Canadian so no we didn't , but it doesn't surprise me. Some people in this city can be rude to other people. In my old building I witnessed that a lot. People are a lot politer in this newer building, but it's mostly older people anyway. The other one was full of college aged people. But yeah the girls in my old town tell me my face looks like a mans.

I've seen a lot of that though, not just in this thread or even this forum. I belong to a lot of online communities and see it everywhere. I have social anxiety, so I belong to a community for that and they are extremely brutal there. You wouldn't think so given that the have anxiety but they are mean.

Old 02-09-2014, 01:09 PM

127 posts, read 320,308 times
Beauty and the feast....

Old 02-09-2014, 03:04 PM

8,757 posts, read 9,464,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post

Her name is Fluvia. easy to mix up I did it a couple of times in the past

A young lady that has pictures and a write up about her on a blog

http://fashionavenue-gabyg.blogspot.com/2012/01/meet-fluvia-lucerda-plus-size-model.html

And on another note, I've said it before, I don't waste my time arguing with spid. People want to spread misinformation, say hateful things, not even try to have a sincere discussion where they listen and reason, no point in banging heads against the wall.

I'm not sure what curvy and all the all the drama has to do with trying to bring some sanity to where youngsters, women and men for that matter, have a base line where not needing to be say so thin that you must be able to size up to photographed for fashion spread for next teen model, a Victoria secret or GQ cover. No one is saying people should even be as big as the size of Fluvia, but at the same time, she, myself and others like us, have a right to be treated with certain dignities as the next person. Those of you that have such vile things to say, I don't hate on you, I do chuckle more than not though, it's too difficult to take many of the derogatory writings here very serious considering where it's coming from. It is nice though that some people have and continue to make good points. But some of this is the same people with infantile mentalities putting in their jabs.

I don't mind being called fat/obese and use the terms freely, I think other people know if they are fat, not so sure why people get so worked up when someone uses a different term of endearment, not all people that refer to themselves as tiny or bigstuff or sweetie are those things. Who is it hurting, must have some real messed up stuff going on in the head if someone referring to them-self in a manner that you don't agree with throws your mind all out of whack. That's all this big curvy old lady has to say. I've never called myself curvy, but I think I will for now on, my feet have some nice curves, I think it's the bunions that give it that something special.

Last edited by TRosa; 02-09-2014 at 03:21 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty