Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2014, 09:04 AM

3,063 posts, read 3,273,755 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhenzanite View Post
I am physically unable to fit into a size 0-2. When I was clinically underweight and ill I never went below a size 9, my body is simply unable to do so because of the size of my hips.

I lift weights and exercise 3-5 days a week while maintaining a fairly strict diet and I'll never look like a fitness model. It gets irritating when people tell me I just have to 'exercise more and make it a priority!' when I already do. Not everyone will have the same results.
Again read the post i posted before that one. I did state that not everyone will get the same results. It isn't important that everyone get the same result anyway. My only point was to emphasize the idea that you have to make time to workout and get fit and into the size that is right for your body type and frame. My mom made time despite the many things she had going on and since she was naturally slimmer and leaner her working out enhanced that and allowed her to stay within the size that felt right for her.

Iim not a size 2 at all, so I'm not saying that everyone will be a size two. For her it was easy to maintain that size because of her lifestyle. For me i can not get under a size 4... its not important if you arent a size 2, as long as you are within or close to your ideal weight, or a healthy size for your frame and body type then isn't that all that matters?

And if you can only be a size 9 then so be it, at least you are working out and eating right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2014, 09:09 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,635,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faith2187 View Post
Again read the post i posted before that one. Not everyone will get the same results. It isn't important that everyone get the same result anyway. My only point was to emphasize the idea that you have to make time to workout and get fit and into the size that is right for your body type and frame. My mom made time despite the many things she had going on and since she was naturally slimmer and leaner her working out enhanced that and allowed her to stay within the size that felt right for her.

Iim not a size 2 at all, so I'm not saying that everyone will be a size two. For her it was easy to maintain that size because of her lifestyle. For me I will never be a size 2 either. I'm okay with it. If you can only be a size 9 then so be it.
Agreed...but so many people love to shame others because they don't fit into this 'mold' of what a person is supposed to look like regardless of how much effort they put into it. Why is a 'fitness model' so often held up as the end all be all of what a person who is in shape should look like? I am definitely in shape but will never look like a fitness model.

Old 02-05-2014, 09:13 AM

11,157 posts, read 14,008,095 times
Quote:

And if you can only be a size 9 then so be it, at least you are working out and eating right.
And her point is that even at her healthiest, most optimal size and weight, even while doing everything she should be doing, she is still going to be subject to greater bias than an abnormally thin woman. Even if she is healthier than the thin woman.

Old 02-05-2014, 09:20 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,635,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
And her point is that even at her healthiest, most optimal size and weight, even while doing everything she should be doing, she is still going to be subject to greater bias than an abnormally thin woman. Even if she is healthier than the thin woman.
Exactly. Even at my thinnest I am bigger than most women. My body is built larger (for example, my ribcage measurement is 37.5" at my current weight, and when I was underweight it was 36". My lungs are 24% larger than a 'normal' persons according to MRIs I've had) and I'll never be svelte, even when I'm thin.

Apparently, this is unacceptable to a great many people who will assume I'm unhealthy or not fit because of my bodies natural size.

Old 02-05-2014, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Agreed...but so many people love to shame others because they don't fit into this 'mold' of what a person is supposed to look like regardless of how much effort they put into it. Why is a 'fitness model' so often held up as the end all be all of what a person who is in shape should look like? I am definitely in shape but will never look like a fitness model.
A fitness model isn't always held up as the end all be all. It's just one type of body that some people covet. The same way the super thin women are coveted. if you can't look like and don't want to look like a fitness model then you just don't.. Most people don't look like fitness models, some people CAN attain the look, some can't...

Personally none of the females I know beyond my mom, wanted or even tried to look like a fitness model.

Old 02-05-2014, 09:24 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,889,363 times
Quote:
I am physically unable to fit into a size 0-2. When I was clinically underweight and ill I never went below a size 9, my body is simply unable to do so because of the size of my hips.

I lift weights and exercise 3-5 days a week while maintaining a fairly strict diet and I'll never look like a fitness model. It gets irritating when people tell me I just have to 'exercise more and make it a priority!' when I already do. Not everyone will have the same results.
Amen!

**and you have a new name!

Old 02-05-2014, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Well if she is healthy and doing everything she should be, then who cares if people think she's overweight or unhealthy. That's when people like her just shouldn't give a f*** what people think. I used to live down south and when I have clothes on I look very similar to body type 2 that I posted and no guy I met believed me when I worked out. They constantly asked me if I ate cornbread. If I let those comments effect me i would be a mess. I don't care..

Old 02-05-2014, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Well if she is healthy and doing everything she should be, then who cares if people think she's overweight or unhealthy. That's when people like her just shouldn't give a f*** what people think. I used to live down south and when I have clothes on I look very similar to body type 2 that I posted and no guy I met believed me when I worked out. They constantly asked me if I ate cornbread. If I let those comments effect me i would be a mess. I don't care..
I do agree with this. There is a great deal of value that comes with not giving a f*** about what others think about you. In fact, reaching that point for me is what allowed me to begin pursuing the types of women I really wanted because I was not limiting myself to society's ideals anymore and as a result I was no longer "image conscious."

However I still consider the issue of cultural values a valid concern, however are we not better for restraining our biases? Are we not better for withholding judgment when we don't know the whole picture? Are we not better when we respect the dignity of everyone around us even if he or she does not conform to the ideal?

Old 02-05-2014, 09:55 AM

Quote:
I do agree with this. There is a great deal of value that comes with not giving a f*** about what others think about you. I still consider the issue of cultural values a valid concern, however are we not better for restraining our biases? Are we not better for withholding judgment when we don't know the whole picture? Are we not better when we respect the dignity of everyone around us even if he or she does not conform to the ideal?
Yes it would obviously be better for people to withhold their judgements even if they knew the whole picture(or didnt know it). But we cannot control the actions or thoughts of others. We can only control our thoughts, our actions, and our reactions. You can't care what people think... Or allow yourself to be validated by others. Like I said if your doing everything right, then you can't care. I get called big booty most times I go out, or "thick" and no one ever thinks i work out. I get judged all the time for being a single mom. i don't care.. You just can't care.

Old 02-05-2014, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Yes it would obviously be better for people to withhold their judgements even if they knew the whole picture(or didnt know it). But we cannot control the actions or thoughts of others. We can only control our thoughts, our actions, and our reactions. You can't care what people think... Or allow yourself to be validated by others. Like I said if your doing everything right, then you can't care. I get called big booty most times I go out, or "thick" and no one ever thinks i work out. I get judged all the time for being a single mom. i don't care.. You just can't care.
I agree with you on the individual level. But on the collective level is where I disagree. We share this society. I am one of these "it takes a whole village" kind of guys, but I do believe indifference toward a certain type of behavior is bad for everyone. When we cherry pick who gets treated decently and whose dignity is expendable we have problems. And of course, these problems manifest themselves not just toward overweight people, I am fully aware of that. The difference is it is still very much politically and socially acceptable to target overweight people as objects for scorn.

I don't let other's ideas bother me insomuch as I respect one's right to feel as he does about something. I just wish people would hold themselves to a higher standard of decency and respect for his fellow man.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty