Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2008, 08:34 PM

267 posts, read 1,835,590 times

Advertisements

I hate to say it but I have big wide feet. I'm talking Frodo feet. Maybe not that bad but still I hate my feet. I'm petite and I feel like they are so out of proportion with my body. I can wear anything from a size 8.5 wide to size 10. Usually I wear about a 9.5 depending on the shoe.

I wish I could wear cute sexy strappy sandals and heels but some the shoes are made so narrow and make my feet look huge. Every once in awhile I find some cute heels I like but not really. When I wear a skirt I feel like all that is noticed is my Fred Flinstone feet, lol.

Do any of you ladies have this problem finding shoes? Where are some good places or brands to shop for cute sexy shoes that fit wide feet such as mine? I know Payless has some cute styles but there shoes wear out pretty fast.

Thanks for the help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2008, 08:46 PM

5,168 posts, read 11,435,254 times
It seems really hard to find shoes for wide feet. I haven't had much luck, other than Birkenstock shoes and Keen shoes. Not exactly sexy, but cute! LOL. Actually Birkenstock has some lines that don't have the original clutzy look, and their shoes come in different widths.

forum rules, please read them

Old 03-15-2008, 12:33 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,494,931 times
Clark's makes many cute platform sandals (my fave) that come in wide. You have to order them on-line though, the Clark's store doesn't bother to carry them.

I love all those on-line shoe stores there are now with free shipping AND free return shipping. Zappos.com, shoebuy.com and shoes.com are three of the stores with this offer. Another great thing about these stores is with almost all of them you can sort by size and width, so you are saved the heartache of clicking on cute shoe after cute shoe that doesn't come in your size.

I've also been doing well with Borns, my new favorite brand, by going up a size. I'm an 8W but they don't make wides. Their 9M fits me perfectly and isn't even too long.

Old 03-15-2008, 04:04 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,011,343 times
luv
I'm right there with ya--actually, I'm worse.
I have terrible bunions but am quite wary of surgery.
The bunions do not give me pain as long as I just keep buying wide shoes with good support in the sole.
Finding stylish wide sizes that are affordable has become almost a hobby.
When I lived in Denver, I could go to specialty shoe stores, but since late 2005, I have had to be more creative.
I have been able to find strappy platform sandals and formal wear.
I've ordered from Nordstrom's.
As Debsi noted, you can also order from Zappos and other online stores.
In my experience, Clark's tend to run narrow, but I've bought a pair or two if I found a wider size.
I've had good luck with these brands:
Munros (wide--no pun intended--variety)
Riekers (very stylish and comfy)
Mephisto (expensive but worth it)
Ecco (make sure you buy ones that give enough support)
Dansko (not fancy, but rugged and long-lasting)
Naot's (stylish but they did fall apart and I had to get them repaired)

Old 03-15-2008, 04:31 AM

150 posts, read 725,779 times
This might be a helpful site.

Plus Size clothing - Shoes for Plus Size Women at Woman Within®

Old 03-16-2008, 01:22 PM

267 posts, read 1,835,590 times
I've heard good things about Zappos. I will have to check them and the others out soon. I can't wait for spring so I can wear something other than boots and tennis shoes. Gotta show off my Frodo feet!

Old 03-16-2008, 03:15 PM

184 posts, read 1,544,541 times
I wear a WW, so I can definitely relate! I also have a high arch, so I can't wear any shoe with a strap across the top of the foot.

I used to wear Penaljo shoes about 10 years ago and they were great. But they went out of business and then Naturalizer bought out the name and started selling shoes as Penaljo.. they are okay but not quite the same quality and fit as the 'real' Penaljo line was. I'm not even sure if they are still sold because the ones I have are 3 or 4 years old now.

Looking in my closet, these are the other brands I have found comfortable for wide widths:

Munro

SAS

Easy Spirit for some sandals (but not for closed shoes, which aren't as forgiving)

Theresia M

Foothrills

You need to go into the small independent shoe stores to find these brands (except for Easy Spirit) ... they aren't sold by department stores or chains like PayLess or DSW, as a rule. I hate having to buy shoes because it's so frustrating to find any that are truly comfortable! When I do find something, I buy two pair in each color that I want, because I know that by the time they are worn out I will never find that style (or often manufacturer!) again.

Old 03-17-2008, 05:57 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,011,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywings View Post
You need to go into the small independent shoe stores to find these brands (except for Easy Spirit) ... they aren't sold by department stores or chains like PayLess or DSW, as a rule. I hate having to buy shoes because it's so frustrating to find any that are truly comfortable! When I do find something, I buy two pair in each color that I want, because I know that by the time they are worn out I will never find that style (or often manufacturer!) again.
Yes.
This can be expensive at the time, but pays for itself in the long run.

Old 03-18-2008, 06:47 PM

5,119 posts, read 16,593,094 times
I wear a 6 wide and have had a helluva time trying to find some strappy, tan, heeled, sandals. I've searched online but I like to go to the store to try them on first. I want sandals with an ankle strap. My pant leg goes under my heel when I walk if I don't have an ankle strap. The only place I've found that carries wide-width decent looking shoes is PayLess. I went to Dillards last year looking for some Sofft brand sandals because the website I was on said that Dillards would have them. Well, they didn't.

Thanks for the ideas of where to look.

Old 03-19-2008, 03:42 AM

395 posts, read 1,363,528 times
This is an intersting question. My mom had the wide feet problem. For years she lived with it...wearing only Birkenstocks(which she liked anyway)..But she went to a doctor and she had a bone problem..it was all really confusing..but she ended up getting foot surgery and she can wear any shoes she likes! I am not saying you should do that, but she did and she says it is the best thing she has ever done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty