Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2014, 08:32 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,729,615 times

Advertisements

Who cares what society thinks?

Honestly, I do not care if a guy is with a heavy set woman and I would expect him not to care if I were with one either.

Stop living your life by other peoples view point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2014, 08:38 PM

9,131 posts, read 19,997,945 times
Yes some areas of society will look down on these guys.

They will never once think or realize that maybe, he is with this woman because he loves her and has the maturity and self confidence to be with the person he loves, and not worry about society, their perceptions, or stereotypes.

Old 11-05-2014, 09:26 PM

11,157 posts, read 13,995,357 times
I think there are those who do look down on men who pursue overweight women and many others who do not. It is legitimately not even on some people's radars. I am a pretty athletic guy and have dated several overweight women. I have had my preference questioned by everyone from close friends to random people who have observed me and my partners in public to my partners themselves.

We've seen a few on this thread say they wonder why a guy would prefer such a thing but refrain from judging. That may be a fair compromise, but it is a little judgmental in its own right. Not in a bad way, necessarily. "Judgment" can also be a term that denotes values, in this case values regarding appearance. Furthermore I don't think it is so out of spite for others so much as a propensity to normalize everything to one's self. (ie: "I wouldn't do that so I wonder why that person would.")

Lastly, I agree with those who have theorized the assumption about those of us who pursue overweight women is we have no other options, are losers, have low self esteem, uneducated, etc. I've encountered these stereotypes even here on CD as well as in the real world. I don't think everyone walks around looking down on men who like big girls, but those who do often resort to a very limited and outright ignorant set of stereotypes to explain the occurrence. Guys can let it get to them or choose not to. I am always willing to confront these stereotypes, but usually only in a written forum such as this one where a bit of a record is left for others to read later and see both sides of an issue. In real life I learned to not give a about what others thought about me, so if anyone looks down on me for the woman I am with...well it's obviously because they don't know here. And that's their loss.

Old 11-06-2014, 06:38 AM

4,792 posts, read 6,049,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
Why does that even matter?
It doesn't, just curious to see if you were a black person what your personal view was. Curry on.

Old 11-06-2014, 06:49 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,543,435 times
Probably the same number of people who see a beautiful woman with an average or below average looking guy and wonder why she settled for somebody so much less attractive.

Old 11-06-2014, 06:53 AM

39,200 posts, read 27,575,665 times
Some people look down on others for many different reasons. They will look down on singles, divorced folks, interracial couples, etc, etc.

This type of discrimination actually comes from their own insecurity when you really think about it.

For example, some folks like to brag about their perfect marriage all day long and would criticize anybody who don't agree with them.

e.g. I like to be single Them: no you are lying how can anybody like to be single.

If they are truly happy, they wouldn't want to put others down. Period.

Judgmental people live very sheltered life. MOST people don't care about other people's relationships. You gonna have to be a real loser to live your own life based on other people's relationships.

So I don't think society as a whole looks down on men who date larger women. But people (some) are addicted to fake outrage. Every little thing makes them "offended".

Old 11-06-2014, 07:04 AM

9,189 posts, read 7,594,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
Not just larger women. I believe this prejudice exists against all women who fail to meet the contemporary standards of beauty for whatever reason. But I have to say it never ceases to amaze me what men who are NOT that good looking themselves, let alone well-groomed and well-dressed, think they deserve in a mate.
I totally agree with this. And it always seem when some guy is with a woman and if she is supposdly not good looking etc., she is criticized. I always have to say well he's not so good looking himself, so what?

Old 11-06-2014, 07:09 AM

2,957 posts, read 5,900,362 times
Yes.

Old 11-06-2014, 07:09 AM

42,763 posts, read 52,838,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
Some people look down on others for many different reasons. They will look down on singles, divorced folks, interracial couples, etc, etc.

This type of discrimination actually comes from their own insecurity when you really think about it.

For example, some folks like to brag about their perfect marriage all day long and would criticize anybody who don't agree with them.

e.g. I like to be single Them: no you are lying how can anybody like to be single.

Judgmental people live very sheltered life. MOST people don't care about other people's relationships. You gonna have to be a real loser to live your own life based on other people's relationships.

So I don't think society as a whole looks down on men who date larger women. But people (some) are addicted to fake outrage. Every little thing makes them "offended".
Ex....cel....lant!

Old 11-06-2014, 07:10 AM

4,475 posts, read 6,682,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post

i dont know that id agree with all of that. For example, a person can have an opinion of what they believe to be "right" due to upbringing, religious views, breeding purposes, whatever) but that doesnt make the person sheltered or mean they have insecurities; it simply means they have an opinion (which we are all entitled to have).

" MOST people don't care about other people's relationships. You gonna have to be a real loser to live your own life based on other people's relationships." Well then i guess theres a lot of losers out there because i see and hear of it being done a lot. Or heck even a variation of that can be seen here quite commonly (people who act and dress solely on how others will treat them or their chances of benefiting sexually from it).

I DO however agree totally with your last comment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty