Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2017, 12:31 PM

6,616 posts, read 4,878,376 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschrief View Post
Huge waste of money. My husband is almost fully bald. I like the Walter look on him.
Too far gone, and you're used to it. I think there are many couples where the man might not like it but the woman doesn't think she would be happier with him going ahead with a transplant (money vs. results) and therefore he doesn't. Funny how different that would be if it were a wife wanting breast implants for herself.

I was Googling for "husband hair transplant" when I found an article about a seemingly single guy.
Dad treats his son to a hair transplant for his 30th birthday - Mirror Online
It's possible that with the hair wet it doesn't look good and that it looks bad in 2017, but I think anyone would be crazy to deny the 2015 After pictures are impressive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2017, 06:46 AM

37,594 posts, read 45,972,346 times
Almost a 2 year old thread. I knew this looked familiar.

Old 01-12-2017, 09:03 PM

2 years of many people entrenched in their positions.
Spoiler
Me rightly
Time to shake things up. To people who think no men should get hair transplants, should no women get transplants either? The statistic I just read listed about 15% of transplant patients as female (more than a few of whom likely are MTF transsexuals, it didn't point out).

Old 01-12-2017, 09:50 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,038,253 times
I know 2 men who have had transplants.

One had his original done back in the stone age when the result looked like doll's hair. Over the years he lost more hair (but not the transplants!) until he no longer had enough donor hair to get a modern re-do (since techniques are so good now). He wore baseball caps for 30 years. But 3 years ago he came out here to SoCal to get a new process where BEARD hair is transplanted to the scalp. And I must say, it looks great. All the receding places have been filled in, and the old transplants have been surrounded by new hair and totally concealed. The hair of course is a different texture than the hair he lost, but who cares. No complications, and it grows like normal head hair.

The other guy had a strip procedure which takes about 6 hours. The incision is sewn in a way that you can't see a scar. Cost,$8,000. Cost depends on how many hairs are transplanted. Also looks great.

Old 01-13-2017, 05:40 AM

3,421 posts, read 5,217,686 times
I have wondered the same thing.

But my question is, if it's ok for men to age gracefully by going bald, why is it not acceptable for women to age gracefully and gain weight, or go grey? Why are women expected to maintain their looks but men don't think they have to maintain theirs?

As a woman, I personally don't find bald or balding men attractive. A lot of women don't like it but accept it because it's not expected for men to maintain their looks as they age. But the reality is, the man who maintains his looks gets the most women.

Old 01-13-2017, 11:56 AM

I don't want to debate aging in men vs. women. To stick to hair loss, remember that until a few decades ago, there was basically nothing a man could do to fight his hair loss.

"A perception that balding men are less attractive was significantly more common among women than among non balding men."
https://www.statperson.com/Journal/S...e1/13_1_37.pdf

Plus, a small study about hair transplants said hair transplants can benefit sex lives and mental health.
http://parsamohebi.com/wp-content/up...ransplants.pdf

I think American women over 30 are more tolerant of hair loss, though.

Men from extended working-class families where major balding is basically a tradition tend to have scorn for hair transplants, I think.

Old 01-14-2017, 11:57 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,315,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta_BD View Post
I have wondered the same thing.

But my question is, if it's ok for men to age gracefully by going bald, why is it not acceptable for women to age gracefully and gain weight, or go grey? Why are women expected to maintain their looks but men don't think they have to maintain theirs?

As a woman, I personally don't find bald or balding men attractive. A lot of women don't like it but accept it because it's not expected for men to maintain their looks as they age. But the reality is, the man who maintains his looks gets the most women.

Because we have a sick society. There are a few of us who don't agree that women and men are supposed to look 25 forever. To me (middle aged man) Helen Mirren is way hotter than Taylor Swift.

I say, let your hair go grey. Don't freak out about wrinkles, or spend thousands of dollars on stuff that is supposed to do something about wrinkles and doesn't (it's all just lanolin anyway). Men, don't feel pressure to get hair transplants. All that stuff is just made up to get you to spend more money on stuff you don't need. Spend your money and time on something more worthwhile than enriching people who make their money off making you feel inadequate. You are going to get old (I hope). You are going to die (I know). You can't prevent these.

Old 01-14-2017, 12:20 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,038,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
I say, let your hair go grey. Don't freak out about wrinkles, or spend thousands of dollars on stuff that is supposed to do something about wrinkles and doesn't (it's all just lanolin anyway). Men, don't feel pressure to get hair transplants.
It's fine to want to be "natural" but it makes a difference if a person already has a mate or not--nobody can honestly say that being handsome or beautiful looking doesn't matter in relationship potential--and/or if a person already has a successful career--as many studies show that attractive people get better jobs and more promotions. Many careers demand it, whether openly stated or not.

In almost every area of life, looks count. And the more classically attractive, the better.

Bald Hollywood actors also have wealth and fame going for them. Here's some famous bald men (BTW, almost all got famous while they still had hair!) and how they look with hair. IMO, all look better with hair: https://www.buzzfeed.com/crystalro/f...Ko#.lqZJebaqx0

Old 01-17-2017, 10:59 AM

3,006 posts, read 3,869,900 times
Most black men actually look better bald, but few white guys can pull it off. I shaved my head once and it looked horrific. Even though i'm considered 'classically handsome' (yes I know it sounds like boasting.)

Old 01-17-2017, 04:19 PM

I don't know about "most." "Many" hardly look worse, I'm sure (look at the pictures in post #288). Though some, like Ne-Yo, have weird-shaped crowns. For some reason, black men's hair seems to look terrible once hair loss is obvious (hey, LeBron). Also, I have heard that African hair is harder to transplant. Therefore, I understand why many of them shave it as soon as baldness sets in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty