Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2015, 09:14 AM

1,055 posts, read 1,415,487 times

Advertisements

I said "but you won't often see a man wearing a sleeveless shirt."

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
You won't? I think I saw a half-dozen guys in tank tops just this morning.
Please point me to a picture taken on a downtown street showing more than one man at a time with bare shoulders. Or how about at some posh restaurant, or a theater, or even some informal offices?

There's a thread further down the page with the title "Shorts too short?" It's about the hugely controversial issue of whether men's shorts (under the very limited circumstances when men can wear shorts) need to cover their knees.

This picture of Justin Bieber on a beach shows who's wearing clothes that show their wares:
http://assets.nydailynews.com/polopo...70/bieber1.jpg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2015, 09:23 AM

30,253 posts, read 23,737,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashpelham View Post
Not only is this true, that women's clothing is more suggestive, it's more frowned upon if a man wears anything other than a full burka.

So hypocritical, but it's amerika. that's how we've always done things. A curvy woman can walk onto the beach in a bikini, and the whole world stops. A dude DARES wear anything other than a hazmat suit to the pool, and it's "gross".

Women-centric culture is also destroying amerika.
Dramatic much?

Most don't like seeing guys in bikini bottoms. For me the reason is because most guys thighs, especially the back, look like pieces of raw chicken that you can find in the grocery store. Hardly a good look. Nothing wrong with shorts, and that is not a "hazmat suit".

Old 07-30-2015, 09:28 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,706,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalSun View Post
You're part of the problem.
So's my husband. He doesn't like asexual church mice either. I'm wearing a long skirt with a pretty conservative top at the moment, except oopsies! My collarbones are showing. I hope the guys at the bank can control their lust.

Old 07-30-2015, 11:08 AM

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalSun View Post
Women are to wear:

a loose skirt that goes past the knees and does not reveal the figure,
a loose-fitting shirt that does not reveal the figure, which goes all the way to the neckline, and which does not show any skin except perhaps past the elbows,
no jewelry or makeup (these things are lies and deceptions, and makeup that powders and covers the face makes females look inhuman and unattractive),
a natural and unadulterated body, that is not pierced, tattooed, and contains zero plastic surgery,
a closed mouth that does not argue or talk belligerently to anyone,
a submissive spirit,
and a gentle kindness that does not contain a hint of flirtation or sexuality.
A friend of mine lost her luggage in a travel accident when she was making her way across Asia to Europe, back when you could do that, and the Middle East was actually fairly calm. The accident happened in Nepal, so she bought traditional Tibetan women's dress to wear for the rest of her trip (there wasn't much choice). The traditional garb is very Victorian, with a high neckline, long sleeves, ankle-length skirt covered by an apron, blouse covered by a vest. Plus, she was not curvy, there was nothing to attract attention. Yet, travelling through Afghanistan, Iran, etc., men were constantly grabbing at her. They only left her alone when she started to fight back, punching them. Then they avoided her.

It has nothing to do with what clothing you're wearing. It has everything to do with what men think they can get away with, and what they want to try to get away with. It's interesting to note that catcalling and harassment don't happen in northern Europe. As soon as you cross the border from Scandinavia to Germany, though, it starts. It's all about how evolved the men are in any given country.

Old 07-30-2015, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
So's my husband. He doesn't like asexual church mice either. I'm wearing a long skirt with a pretty conservative top at the moment, except oopsies! My collarbones are showing. I hope the guys at the bank can control their lust.
The guys at the bank? IDK where you live, but at my bank, pretty much at all the banks in town, there are usually at least a couple of female tellers who flaunt their "wares" with very low-cut blouses. You should see some of the clerks at the Motor Vehicles Dept.! It seems to be a Hispanic thing in these parts, even though we're told that Hispanic culture is very conservative in that regard. The guys at the bank are getting an eyeful on a daily basis, and not due to the customers. One teller didn't even have a bra on under her low-cut top; you could see stuff flopping around in there.

Old 07-30-2015, 11:16 AM

20,048 posts, read 18,310,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vodoven View Post
I can't recall such a visual barrage in previous decades, especially the yoga pants aka leggings trend. It seems less and less is left to the imagination on the streets, combined with more narcissism.

Is this noticeable to most men, or am I just getting older and finding younger women less accessible, hence getting distracted in a different way? I'm 50+, for reference.
I think it is more so today because so many females have opted to surgically screw (up) with their bodies. They pay big money for those inflated plastic baggies, etc. How dare you ask them to cover up those "hard" earned dollars! LOL!

Old 07-30-2015, 11:19 AM

2,054 posts, read 2,568,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
Ashpelham, that's so interesting, since men have always been able to go out in public on the beach (at least in my 65-year lifetime) without a shirt and wearing only shorts. I have never seen a topless woman at the public beach yet, and don't expect to anytime soon, especially in more-conservative Virginia.

I have no concept how you came up with the concept that "women-centric" culture is also destroying "amerika" (which bespeaks your ultra-conservative leanings), but it's a pretty far stretch to connect the destruction of the nation with women's fashions. Funny enough, complaints have occurred for centuries as fashions have changed in almost all countries, yet there has been no overall destruction of civilization yet - at least not from the length of a hem or the reveal of a decolletage.
That's the thing Bungalove, my friend. I"m actually not ultra-conservative. But I have become bitter because of the double standard that women wish to convey onto men. I love to see women dressed skimpy, but I would like to be able to wear fashionable clothes as well, and not be spied upon as being "gay", which I most certainly am not. And I'm not being critical of anyone who is.

What I'm critical of, and this is very intense in the old Deep South where I'm temporarily at, is that women be treated like royalty, while men are treated as dirt. Unless of course, said men have material wealth.

Women are incredibly shallow creatures, just the same as men, but at least we will admit it.

Old 07-30-2015, 11:40 AM

7,321 posts, read 6,926,415 times
Years ago I read an article that made the determination that since the advent of the bra, brest cancer elevated.
You don't normally see brest cancer in jungle tribes where women were naked or topless.
For this reason I encouraged my wife then, not to wear bras , but eventually she always fell back on tradition.
I can see a tank top Tee shirt under to reduce the irritation and sweat against regular clothing , but natural movement of the brest is important to cause body fluids to keep moving.
I believe that it is one of the most imprtant things that others see mothers feeding their babies, it should not be guarded not shunned . it is not sexual it is life . and should be as natural as our selves eating at the table.
It would sure be nice if people would grow just up, in sted of chooseing to be offended so easily.

Old 07-30-2015, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arleigh View Post
Years ago I read an article that made the determination that since the advent of the bra, brest cancer elevated.
You don't normally see brest cancer in jungle tribes where women were naked or topless.
For this reason I encouraged my wife then, not to wear bras , but eventually she always fell back on tradition.
I can see a tank top Tee shirt under to reduce the irritation and sweat against regular clothing , but natural movement of the brest is important to cause body fluids to keep moving.
I believe that it is one of the most imprtant things that others see mothers feeding their babies, it should not be guarded not shunned . it is not sexual it is life . and should be as natural as our selves eating at the table.
It would sure be nice if people would grow just up, in sted of chooseing to be offended so easily.
Jungle tribes don't have doctors and hospital equipment around to do breast scans and diagnose cancer. When people die, they just die. We have no idea how many cases of cancer there are in those communities.

They say that the elastic in a bra can constrict the lymph glands under the arm, which can lead to breast cancer. But that's true only with bras that are too tight. It''s easily avoided. Excess weight/obesity also can contribute to breast cancer. Use of hormonal birth control, or hormone replacement therapy can, as well. Some of those things were developed around the same time as the bra, so it's not all due to ill-fitting bras.

Old 07-30-2015, 11:52 AM

206 posts, read 382,918 times
Ancient Greece: Ancient Rome, women exercising (photo by M. Desidero):
Empire-style dress, 1810: Clara Bow, c. 1920s:
Mini-skirts at a wedding, c. 1972:

All images found on Wikimedia Commons.

Non-copyrighted works, not of private individuals, are harder to come by for more recent decades, but a quick image search of aerobic-wear or "wannabes" in the 1980s, low-rise jeans and belly-bearing tops in the 90s, etc. should give a pretty good idea of how NOT NEW all this is.

And this is just in the western world. Tropical parts of the world naturally have traditionally less voluminous clothing. (Colder parts of the world are generally more covered up, for obvious practical reasons.)

It also would be easy to come up with at least as revealing a selection of men's fashion over the centuries.

[And don't even get me started on the idea that a woman's body is somehow "wares".]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty