Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2015, 10:40 AM

8,757 posts, read 9,467,599 times

Advertisements

Everytime I go pass this thread title, I think of an art fair or flea market of some such happening. LOL, flaunting wares, so funny.

Also, this song pops into my head, only a little skin showing so the ladies might be dressed a little more appropriate to some peoples liking. Then again, the lead singer might be showing too much upper skin.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4UblTWMw2c
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2015, 11:18 AM

6,616 posts, read 4,885,622 times
Women had smaller breasts in the 70's. Hence, some of those styles didn't come across as flashy/trashy as their modern equivalents do.

Old 07-28-2015, 11:31 AM

6,616 posts, read 4,885,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Here we go again, another armchair psychologist mixing a specific psychological condition with a woman's CHOICE of apparel. And it is her choice, BTW
And that's knee-jerk feminism.

Funny how no one else disputed the points about narcissism and look-at-me clothing. Probably because most instinctively recognize them as true. Which they are. More narcissism is fact, with most of the increase in women. (I don't feel like tracking down a citation - it would be off-topic and underappreciated.) I've seen the research about clothing and narcissism. It's not a strong correlation, but it is significant. Personally I think narcissism can be reduced by discouraging expressions thereof.

Old 07-28-2015, 11:31 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,715,012 times
Shape is more importantly than the level of reveal. There are women wearing skin tight not getting as much attention as someone fully clothed but wearing clothing that exaggerate their bottom more than their actual figure.

Male sexuality responds to shapes which is why most women got it all wrong when they wear something revealing but gets called for being trashy than sexy.

Old 07-28-2015, 02:37 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,589,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vodoven View Post
I can't recall such a visual barrage in previous decades, especially the yoga pants aka leggings trend. It seems less and less is left to the imagination on the streets, combined with more narcissism.

Is this noticeable to most men, or am I just getting older and finding younger women less accessible, hence getting distracted in a different way? I'm 50+, for reference.
What's wrong with yoga pants (when you're doing yoga)? Men doing yoga wear yoga pants, as well as women.

Leggings are a little different and are considered okay for street wear, I think, under tunics, or alone if they are bluejean-type leggings.

I have never seen yoga pants or leggins worn on the street alone, w/o a tunic over them. Unless, as I've said, it's bluejean-type, like what's called skinny jeans.

I wear yoga pants to walk the dogs in fall and spring. But mine are dark and not revealing (I'm 60ish).

People who are into physical fitness have been wearing leggings & tight stretchy clothing for decades. If you remember, Olivia Newton John did a song or two about the physical fitness craze. I think she was wearing leotards in the video.

Old 07-28-2015, 03:16 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,468,776 times
In L.A it's pretty common. Yoga pants..without tunic . In public..not while doing yoga.

Old 07-28-2015, 03:42 PM

3,349 posts, read 2,849,012 times
So what are women suppose to wear?

Old 07-28-2015, 03:46 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,468,776 times
Burkas

Old 07-28-2015, 03:55 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,956,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sommie789 View Post
So what are women suppose to wear?
Shorts that are long enough to cover their rear, or skirts that are at least within a few inches of the knees. Or somewhat loose-fitting pants, apparently. And tops that don't allow anything to fall out.

Old 07-28-2015, 04:04 PM

28,677 posts, read 18,801,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
OP seems to have issues with leggings and yoga pants. No reason for me to wear a Bhurka.

When women quip primping and men quit looking we will finally have reached equality in the work place or read too many Heinlein novels.
I don't get the Heinlein reference. Heinlein's women primped and his women looked even as the women were slaughtering bad guys. Come to think of it, Heinlein's women were have been manifest by Angelina Jolie's movie roles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty