Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2015, 01:40 AM

142 posts, read 177,576 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkmani View Post
Yes, they are flaunting it and they don't care. The radical feminists made it okay and then throw in the, "I should be able to wear whatever I want without guys staring at me."

Personally, I believe if you're wearing tight or revealing clothing, that you shouldn't complain when people stare at you because I believe you're making an open invitation (coming from a 21 year-old young lady). I never expose my cleavage nor do I wear anything shorter than knee-length because I know that breasts and thighs can be very lustful. Even when dressed appropriately, I still have guys that make sexual remarks (I'm not trying to sound conceited, but I do consider myself to be attractive).
Thanks for the honesty. You seem to be rare in your self-analysis. The general mentality is the Kardashian-esque "baby, if you got it, flaunt it!" with no moral consequences attached to that motto.

One could likewise say it's fine to drive down the streets with fists full of cash sticking out the window. Another analogy would be people walking around with tempting food hanging off their clothes, taunting the hungry with hedonistic visuals and smells.

This whole culture could use a modesty makeover. I'm compelled to look at these women but at the same time I wish they'd tone it down and keep it out of my face. I'm not religious either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2015, 01:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
I'm pretty sure woman having large breasts isn't some new evolutionary phenomenon that just happened in the last 30 years.
As I noted in previous replies, the most recent development is sheer yoga pants that make women look essentially nude from the waist down, just "painted" black or whatever color. There's a video on YouTube showing a woman with literally painted on jeans, which are very similar to "jeggings." She strutted down the street of a major city and most people didn't seem to notice the difference. That's significant!

The upper story flaunting may have also increased but it's not what I've noticed the most. Yoga pants sometimes outline something else, which I won't detail for the sake of this PG-13 rated forum.

Old 07-29-2015, 02:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
As far as "yoga pants" - there are different versions of these. I wear these in winter (I live in Florida) but I wear the thick stretchy cotton type with the fold-over waist and flared bottoms. "Leggings" on the other hand are completely fitted to the leg and if I wear those I wear a tunic or long top, etc.

I agree that maybe the perception that people are more "risque" is just due to the proliferance of reality shows, social media, etc. which has only been around the last decade or a bit more. I think the really risque wear started in the late 60s, with hot pants, micro-miniskirts, more nudity in movies and TV, etc. Women have enjoyed various forms of flaunting themselves all through time, it is our perceptions that change.
Well, surely you've noticed that leggings aka yoga pants (and jeggings) are a lot more common as casual public wear in the past X years (maybe 5, maybe 10)? I haven't tracked the time-line but I notice a lot more women who look nude below the waist in silhouette and seem dedicated to making their caboose as visible as possible.

You seem to be one of the more modest wearers, but other women are unabashed about it. The closest men seem to come is biking shorts but those tend to be more rigid or padded so as to not reveal every facet, thankfully! The sheerness of the material is everything. I may never quite understand how women see themselves in leggings. The standard response is "they're comfortable" but that screams half-answer to me.

Then again, I'd never dress anything close to how women do, even on their modest days. I don't spend much money or time on clothes, or ones that emphasize my (generally fit) form. I'd feel too exposed in anything skin-tight. It makes me think women are vain by nature, though they claim to be all about feelings and depth.

Old 07-29-2015, 02:08 AM

7,682 posts, read 1,270,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
My motto is "if you got it, flaunt it!" And I do.

I wear what I like, as we all should be able to do.

My philosophy exactly! Cleavage is the only thing I got left (besides my cute button nose and ears!)

I don't care what women/men wear as long as they look good in it. What's really unfortunate are those individuals with no fashion sense at all who wear clothing 2 sizes too small. They look like they've been poured into their outfits. And panty lines that show through on anyone is just plain sloppy

Old 07-29-2015, 02:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissClutterbuck View Post
I guess some people don't remember the 80s, when everyone wore Spandex and crop tops.
I disagree with "everyone," though of course it's never meant 100% of women. I recall a lot more general modesty. Spandex is distinct in than it doesn't conform to curves as much as leggings, which are softer. It's the frequent revealing of the shape as nearly nude that sets 21st century women apart. Spandex is in the lineage of shiny bicycle shorts that make the wearer seem more like an athlete than a stripper, though it can obviously be eye-catching as well.

Old 07-29-2015, 07:22 AM

9,196 posts, read 7,227,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vodoven View Post
As I noted in previous replies, the most recent development is sheer yoga pants that make women look essentially nude from the waist down, just "painted" black or whatever color. There's a video on YouTube showing a woman with literally painted on jeans, which are very similar to "jeggings." She strutted down the street of a major city and most people didn't seem to notice the difference. That's significant!

The upper story flaunting may have also increased but it's not what I've noticed the most. Yoga pants sometimes outline something else, which I won't detail for the sake of this PG-13 rated forum.
OMG, remember that one! For some weird reason, I was completely mesmerized and just sat there all

Old 07-29-2015, 09:27 AM

4,530 posts, read 8,861,262 times
I am an older guy and I still have an eye for attractive ladies. I HATE the clothes the young Women of today wear. Cleavage in party dresses back in the day was rare and exciting when a women displayed it properly. Dresses and high heels when seen on a Lady that knew how to walk correctly etc was a big turn on. Sadly very few women today know the art. Cleavage on both ends is a HUGE turnoff to me. Even when an otherwise attractive young Lady is showing it. Good thing for me probably because my mind can pay attention to more important things.

Old 07-29-2015, 09:51 AM

1,511 posts, read 1,972,103 times
Let's just be honest- most women AND men in the US in 2015 dress like absolute crap, be it through immodesty, sloppiness, or poor taste. Or combination thereof.

Old 07-29-2015, 10:08 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,443,353 times
One thing I'm wondering...if women are showing more today...are they more sexually open than in the past.
I'm talking like 10 years ago...since I haven't been looking in that long.
It does seem like there is more 'hooking up' going on with Tinder and these types of apps but perhaps this is just making what was once private , public in a way?

Old 07-29-2015, 10:42 AM

10,089 posts, read 6,420,662 times
Good gosh, there are a lot of skimpy clothes in view today, but y'all must have forgotten the late 60's and early 70's. I remember wearing hot pants to the office (my boss certainly never complained) and buying tunic-length tops to wear as dresses. Mini-skirts, the shorter the better, were de rigeur for all my friends. The only difference I can think of between then and now was we didn't have much cleavage exposed, nor did we have our navels in sight. Otherwise, it was pretty wild back then!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty