Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2015, 04:22 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,975,596 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
(I don't feel like tracking down a citation - it would be off-topic and underappreciated.)
That's convenient. I'd like to see it.

There's a difference between actually psychological narcissism and vanity. And it's not feminism. Self-centered vanity is a correlate of narcissism, but there is a WHOLE lot more to being an actual narcissist than just showing off your bod.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2015, 04:23 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,029,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
Women had smaller breasts in the 70's. Hence, some of those styles didn't come across as flashy/trashy as their modern equivalents do.
I'm pretty sure woman having large breasts isn't some new evolutionary phenomenon that just happened in the last 30 years.

Old 07-28-2015, 05:45 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,977,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
I'm pretty sure woman having large breasts isn't some new evolutionary phenomenon that just happened in the last 30 years.
"Evolutionary", no. Commercial, yes. Or surgical, more precisely.

Old 07-28-2015, 05:52 PM

6,616 posts, read 4,887,429 times
Google "Research says young people today are more narcissistic than ever." I didn't say clinical narcissism, and I don't think the original post meant that.

People (who need to learn to search for themselves) can also Google about increased breast size. I thought that was well-known.

Old 07-28-2015, 05:57 PM

4,210 posts, read 4,462,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
http://www.buzzfeed.com/mlew15/21-ti...0se#.ugvOME11o

#18:
#GrowingUpAGirl 'You're not going out wearing that.'Because obviously young girls in skirts are the problem. Not the men sexualising them.

Now excuse me while I go wash my eyes out with bleach.
Visine would be better - especially if you quoted the whole post in context.
In simplest terms, virtually all heterosexual men who haven't been emasculated will acknowledge the primal response and if raised in a healthy environment with a sense of respectful values, will not act out on it, such as being disrespectful: catcalls, leering, etc...

If females whom any heterosexual man feels meets his reproductive fitness assessment happens to be near, we will see her (unless possibly married and carrying so much they have to focus on where they are walking to be safe) and appreciate the physical beauty - with varying degrees of subtlety.

The last portion of my comment you quoted were referencing the engineering / architectural terms of groin vault to illustrate tangentially the degree of visibility some women's clothing reveals about them. I would hope all women realize what they can be conveying or how they can be perceived.

Comedian Dave Chappelle has a routine on men & women psychology to give context to the issues raised by the OP (*not for those easily offended*). Search "Dave Chapelle Men Women Psychology".
I think he addresses the issues that this topic raises - with obvious hyperbole as any comedian does for effect. The gist of what he's saying is accurate (in the primal sense only).

I surmise there are a variety of mindsets to females 'revealing' clothes choices:
1) Malleable women emulating what they are being conditioned to think is 'sexy' by a warped mass media and fashion industry
2) Confident women in their person who don't care and think the clothing is comfortable
3) Confident delusional women who think the clothing makes them look 'sexy'
4) Confident proud women of their fitness for their respective age.
5) Malleable women of all ages who like / desire male attention and then selectively determine which male they will respond to based upon their evaluation of the males (by whatever means of value they attribute greatest weight: looks, smarts, wealth, prestige, power, etc...) they attract.
6) Lazy women who don't dress appropriately for the occasion / environment.

I'm sure there's a few other situations, but I gather I "covered" the majority. I think most of these threads start due to the context of where women are being seen in 'revealing' clothing and due to males who don't know how to react appropriately to the situation - nor realize each one is an individual. Of course, all these things can be applied to varying degrees to males such as Speedos

Old 07-28-2015, 07:17 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,236,853 times
imo

women today are raised to be more independent than ever ,,,and are more confident,,,

the social . sinful and shameful norms of decades ago are fading..

if guys can be proud and a bit of a show off why cant women??

Old 07-28-2015, 07:26 PM

3,349 posts, read 2,849,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
imo

women today are raised to be more independent than ever ,,,and are more confident,,,

Certain people want put down women and control them so we go back to old days.

Old 07-28-2015, 07:27 PM

3,349 posts, read 2,849,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
That's convenient. I'd like to see it.

There's a difference between actually psychological narcissism and vanity. And it's not feminism. Self-centered vanity is a correlate of narcissism, but there is a WHOLE lot more to being an actual narcissist than just showing off your bod.
People just like to throw the word Narcissist like football.

Old 07-28-2015, 08:20 PM

28,678 posts, read 18,806,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
imo

So if men can belch and fart and be public jackasses, why can't women?

No, that went the wrong way. Rather than women becoming as barbaric as men, men should have become more civilized.

Old 07-28-2015, 08:52 PM

282 posts, read 447,454 times
It's pretty awful. No wonder society is declining so fast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty