Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2017, 03:24 PM

622 posts, read 396,209 times

Advertisements

I did have my ears pierced as a teenager but let them grow closed again in my twenties. I rarely wear jewelry of any kind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2017, 11:00 PM

1,020 posts, read 809,198 times
Surprised at all the people who don't think it should be done to babies. I'm in my 50's & mine were done at 2 weeks old. I was born in Europe & it was common practice, I was told. I was always grateful that they were done so early & I can't remember it. I never had to deal with the pain & they've always been there, best of both worlds to me.

To me, they were just always a part of me, like my hair color, my skin color & my eyes. I loved that it was done when I was a baby. The only downside is that they're not completely even, since they were done at home.

eta: I'm told that I had thread in them for a bit afterwards & then was passed down 2 sets of quality earrings, a set of emeralds & a set of rubies. Sadly, they were misplaced, but not til I was in my teens, so they survived babyhood just fine. It was a sign of beauty for girls to have beautiful jewels in their ears.

Old 02-23-2017, 02:05 AM

322 posts, read 286,493 times
Had them pierced twice against my will as a child. Took them out over 9 years ago and never looked back.

Old 02-23-2017, 04:55 PM

4,189 posts, read 3,402,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Sure; quite a few women don't. You can get earrings that are for non-pierced ears. And some women aren't into earrings at all. To some extent, it's generational, too. My mother and her friends and relatives didn't have them.

I don't have pierced ears and DO have lots of earrings. Used to swap the findings myself; now I'm collecting vintage Monet, Napier, and Trifari.

Old 02-24-2017, 04:43 PM

1,406 posts, read 2,723,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
Curious about this, since it seems all-pervasive.

Ever since I was a kid, the idea of it creeped me out, so I never did. I always imagined earrings getting caught on something, or some attacker yanking them out. I admit they look good though.

Anyone else?

I feel that way about rings. I've always been terrified of getting a ring caught on something or catch it on the corner of something. Then I heard about what happened with Jimmy Fallon and am not even more terrified!

Old 02-24-2017, 07:02 PM

2,575 posts, read 2,078,249 times
Mine have been pierced quite a few times since I was a baby. I have really sensitive ears and can only wear gold. Sterling silver and everything else makes my ears swell and bleed. This means no fun, cheap, fashion type earrings. As a kid I would always let them grow over because wearing them for too long hurt.
Even with gold ones I can't just leave them in. I have to take them out when I get home...which means I usually forget to put them back in...which leads to them growing over.

I can still get an earring in one ear, the other is grown over. I don't care enough to get them re-done at this point in time.

Old 02-24-2017, 10:43 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,508,468 times
I got mine pierced when I was about 12. My earlobes are tiny, and my ear closed over my earring on picture day. We had to cut into it to get the earring out. I almost never wore earrings again, but when I was in high school, I occasionally pushed earrings into the old holes. I haven't worn earrings in over 20 years, and I don't miss it at all.

Old 02-24-2017, 10:56 PM

473 posts, read 502,518 times
Dealt with pierced ears since I was 12 til about age 23. They were always infected all the time. The headsets at my college job kind of ripped holes downward to point I just didn't feel comfortable dealing with earrings much any more. I would spend $35+ on hypo-allergenic earrings and it would still get infected. I eventually just quit using the earrings and all closed over. No more infections or allergic reaction problems. I could wear clip-ons if I want but found no reason to do this yet either...At 42, I don't mind just leaving it alone now...I wear bracelets, necklaces and rings only.

Old 02-25-2017, 10:41 AM

1,484 posts, read 2,259,602 times
I don't. When I was a kid I wanted to, my conservative father didn't allow it. When I was old enough, I didn't care. I had long hair that covered my ears; my sister got them and it seemed like high maintenance. I'm sure it's not but I just don't care.

Old 02-25-2017, 10:48 AM

4,948 posts, read 18,697,958 times
no pierced ears either many years ago the doctor had his nurse talk me out of it. I lost interest so forgot about it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty