Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2017, 01:53 PM

11,054 posts, read 6,645,497 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by negativenancy View Post
I feel that way about rings. I've always been terrified of getting a ring caught on something or catch it on the corner of something. Then I heard about what happened with Jimmy Fallon and am not even more terrified!

You and me both, Sistah. My uncle got his ring caught on a dock underwater and almost drowned. My neighbor got his ring caught on something and his finger got "de-gloved". The most horrendous all-encompassing pain he ever had, and took forever to heal.

We used to have a printing company and you sure don't want anything getting caught on those press rollers. Good-bye appendages!

Now I gotta look up Jimmy Fallon.

I know, I know, it can happen to any article on one's body. My aunt got her coat caught in the car door after my uncle dropped her off....well, you can picture it. He was known for laying rubber and she..."Got taken for a ride" in the worst way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2017, 08:54 PM

219 posts, read 163,017 times
I've had pierced ears since first or second grade.....Once I reached 5th grade I rarely wore them. I wear them every now and then and the holes are still there but I have long thick hair so it usually just tangles...

Old 03-01-2017, 09:02 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
I don't see any reason to pierce a baby's ears, but, then, I also didn't see any reason to subject my baby to foreskin removal, either, so there's that.

Old 03-02-2017, 07:30 AM

26 posts, read 21,870 times
I have pierced ears but I don't wear earrings. So it's pretty much like not having pierced ears. Ha ha

Old 03-02-2017, 01:55 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,167,759 times
It is odd to me that so many women are afraid of wearing earrings or rings. And yet women of all ages do both every day without incident. I get not liking earrings or rings. But to be fearful of wearing them?

Old 03-02-2017, 02:24 PM

1,915 posts, read 1,481,832 times
I don't have piercings of any sort, including ears. My dad forbid it until I was 16 and by then my peers were getting multiple piercings to be different. So I thought I'd be truly different and not get any.

Oddly enough, most people don't notice. I've even received pierced earrings as gifts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Sure; quite a few women don't. You can get earrings that are for non-pierced ears. And some women aren't into earrings at all. To some extent, it's generational, too. My mother and her friends and relatives didn't have them.
I'm not into earrings or jewelry of any type. My boyfriend jokes that if he's going to get me silver or gold, that it has to be a coin (I am a coin collector... mostly early 20th century American silver coins).

Old 03-03-2017, 08:00 AM

3,763 posts, read 5,861,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
Almost every woman of my age or so has pierced ears. I don't know how you buy earrings if you don't have pierced ears. We used to have to hunt for earrings for my mom who never got hers pierced.

I and my sisters all got our ears pierced, but I think we were older when we had it done. I was in college. I bought earrings that gradually pierced through the earlobe.

One of my lobes is pulled a bit but I don't care. I've worn pierced earrings now for over 60 years and I've never had medical problems with them.

When my generation began piercing their ears, it was sort of rebellious and an act of solidarity with other young women, I think. Our mothers did not usually have pierced ears. It is amazing to me how quickly pierced ears became standard for almost all women. Perhaps now, those who don't pierce their ears are the rebels!
My daughter , age 29 , had her ears pierced in college. However, my wife has never had hers, age 65. Our mothers and grandmothers on both sides believed that it was too "worldly" and did not have earrings. Nevermind that my aunts ( my mother's age group) did wear gold hoops as well as my wife's sisters. However, my wife always said she would get them pierced if I bought her diamond studs at a half-carat each! LOL Haven't done it so far.

Old 03-09-2017, 04:44 AM

2,124 posts, read 6,823,674 times
I am a third generation of women who did not get their ears pierced. My mom and I used to wear clip-ons, I had an awesome collection, but now I don't wear earrings at all. A big reason is because it interferes too much when talking on the phone. It's also just a hassle. Life is easier without earrings. Most women's hair covers them anyway. When asked about it I always say "no more holes than nature intended." If I was into pain I guess I'd feel differently.

Old 03-15-2017, 09:04 PM

1,066 posts, read 766,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccc123 View Post
I have had mine pierced 4 times but they constantly stayed infected so after trying all the expensive creams and ointments that the dr recommended that never really helped I gave up and let them close.
It's funny this topic would come up... my daughter and I were just looking at clip-on earrings at Macy's yesterday. There were some cute ones there. We were wondering how many people still depended on those rather than going the pierced route.

Ouch, you really gave it a good go – to go through that 4 times after having infections each time.

You should never clean piercings with ointments and creams, even after they are healed (which for some people can be months upon months). When someone isn't healing well and developing infections, it is usually a result of a sensitivity (even a tiny one) to the metal in the original piercing. Important to choose a high quality post, bar, CBR, etc. – at least 14K gold or titanium is usually best. For that reason a quality piercing can be quite expensive. I have a 14G, 14K yellow gold CBR right now, cost me over $200, then there was the cost of the procedure too. Yikes. The original piece has to stay in the piercing for quite a while usually so better to get quality and something you're going to live with for quite a while.

Also never use alcohol, peroxide, epsom salts or betadine. Best thing to use is a saline solution, either a premade wound care solution that has only purified water and sodium (NOT contact lens saline) or you can mix 1/4 teaspoon of plain sea salt or canning salt (no iodine in it as that irritates the puncture) in 8 oz. of very warm water and soak the piercing for about 5-10 minutes a couple of times per day, until the tenderness subsides (around a month usually). Hand cleanliness is a given too. Using q-tips or cotton balls can work fibers into the site and slow down the healing, so just dab, don't rub.

I have several piercings in my ears; lobes, cartilage and conch. Each has a significance to me, the piercings serve as reminders of my life's events. I don't wear any other jewelry typically, not even my wedding ring. I know that lots of people have turned to tattoos for the same reason. Diff'rent strokes for diff'rent folks.

My mom was always curious about my piercings and finally decided to get her lobes pierced when she was around 50.

Old 03-16-2017, 10:25 AM

473 posts, read 307,547 times
My aunt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty