Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2017, 02:11 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,552,885 times

Advertisements

I only buy/use "Crystal". CVS and WalMart have it. About $5; best so far.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2017, 03:31 PM

50,382 posts, read 64,021,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meemur View Post
I was debating about whether this thread should be in fashion or health. Mods feel free to move.

I normally don't worry that much about chemicals, but I've noticed that my brain is a tad less foggy when I cut down on the commercial products. To test that hypothesis, I went for 5 days without using any commercial soaps, sprays, scents, and deodorant.

Then I tried using all my commercial products again for a day. I felt "foggy" and had a headache.

They are now gone.

Here's my problem: "natural" deodorants such as Tom's seem to quit after about two hours. I also tried the crystal but that didn't work at all. It was in the 90s last week, and I was setting up booths outside, so that was a good test.

Does anyone have an recommendations for a "natural" deodorant that has worked for you under extreme conditions? I'm female and unscented is fine.
Here's the thing, it depends upon your lifestyle and hormones, or lack thereof. I shower everyday and stay in air conditioning. I could easily go without deodorant and never smell at all, but out of habit I use it. If you are a stevedore or someone who sweats a lot, you may need to rethink it.

It is my understanding that body odor is caused by bacteria on the outside of the body. It takes hours to form.

A clean body doesn't smell. If you smell, you are not washing enough.

Old 07-25-2017, 06:13 PM

3,320 posts, read 5,573,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Here's the thing, it depends upon your lifestyle and hormones, or lack thereof. I shower everyday and stay in air conditioning. I could easily go without deodorant and never smell at all, but out of habit I use it. If you are a stevedore or someone who sweats a lot, you may need to rethink it.

It is my understanding that body odor is caused by bacteria on the outside of the body. It takes hours to form.

A clean body doesn't smell. If you smell, you are not washing enough.
I can't sit around in the a/c all day and its been 90+ degrees here in Charlotte lately!

I shower everyday and am a very clean person but I do sweat in the heat and I do stink if I've been working in the yard all day!

I am still loving the Native deodorant!

Old 07-26-2017, 07:32 AM

5,103 posts, read 8,614,777 times
Yes, that's why I started this thread: body products aren't a one-size-fits all, and when I think about what was available when I was a child vs. even the "small" section in regular and organic grocery stores, my eyes glaze over.

I think we've hit on some good insights on this thread that will be helpful to folks as they start to think about alternatives. Further, not everyone is going to have good results with organics, but at least some now have a good starting point and others have found better products than they were using.

Old 07-26-2017, 03:30 PM

1,764 posts, read 1,673,317 times
Great Thread !

I just bought Crystal and going to try this, then I'll try the other ones mentioned. I'm looking for the Arm & Hammer unscented, will also try Schmidt's.

Btw: the posts that mentioned the stains on shirts from perspiration, the best way to get this out is by using L.A.'s Totally Awesome cleaner.

Old 07-26-2017, 08:44 PM

530 posts, read 1,131,339 times
Lavanila- The Healthy Deoderant.

Old 07-26-2017, 09:15 PM

19,044 posts, read 27,620,833 times
Best deodorant? Natural?
Healthy clean body does not produce foul odors and is pleasant smelling. Sort of faint musky smell. very sexy.
Clean and healthy. Key words.
Masking odors is masking health problems. There is entire diagnostics system by how one smells.

Old 07-27-2017, 10:46 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,893,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mading6 View Post
Lavanila- The Healthy Deoderant.
That one has such nice packaging, unfortunately I think it only lasted a few hours for me.

Old 08-02-2017, 08:21 PM

1,409 posts, read 2,036,046 times
I had tried a lot of different natural deodorants but none had all day effectiveness until I made my own from coconut oil/baking soda/corn starch. Only takes a few minutes once every couple of months. I have once in a rare while experienced irritation but I learned that putting a splash of apple cider vinegar in a small spray bottle and then adding water, and spraying it onto your underarms before applying the deodorant will straighten out the pH balance of your underarms and get rid of the irritation pretty quickly.

Old 08-04-2017, 07:03 AM

1,478 posts, read 1,515,443 times
My current favorite is the Pacifica Coconut Milk wipes, strong second place goes to Whish wipes, but they're twice as expensive as the Pacifica. Initially I was a fan of TOMS but it stopped working for me, then I tried Lavanila but same problem. I live in TX where it's summer for about 8 months of the year. I couldn't avoid sweating if I tried!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty