Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2008, 07:25 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,041,502 times

Advertisements

If you like capris and short skirts and they look good on you, why not! I wear them, I look good in them and I don't care what other people say. In fact, I'm thinking of a career change - I think I wanna get paid the big bucks to tell people what they shouldn't do, wear, say, eat, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2008, 07:31 PM

15,144 posts, read 27,791,000 times
Just DO NOT wear short shorts or "hot pants" if you are late 70's... there is a woman I see that wears these getups, she has dyed hair, she wears shoes she cannot walk in... and she goes to the grocery store I go to...ACK. (and I usually have to wait forever for her to cross the way to the store)

Seriously though, I don't like the shorts that are approximately 3" top to bottom - I think you should KNOW if you look good in the clothing you are picking. I think patterns, colors, etc. have alot to do with it also, as does your body type (I'm 5' standing REALLy straight - can still wear girl's clothes because I can't find many adult clothes that fit and/or don't look like they are girl's clothes) - don't wear clothes that hang below any belly bulges (or sidewalls) - I think capris are fine (I have a hard time because I'm so short) - but if they look good on you - go for it.

Old 03-23-2008, 01:18 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,007,099 times
oh, puleeze, who told those people they had any taste, anyway????
I am 46, 5'10", weigh 160, and live in Fl, where its a gabillion degrees for 9 months, I live in capris!
I wear pressed ones, with a fitted, collared shirt, and cute heeled sandals all summer for work. I wear them with cute t shirts, and flat sandals for casual.
The worst rule I break? My hair is down past my shoulders. Why, oh why is it a sin to have long hair past 40???? I dont think I look bad at all, what do y'all think? I'm in the middle.

Old 03-23-2008, 01:55 PM

2,296 posts, read 6,285,680 times
I would say no the mini skirt. I'm 37 and bought a couple to wear during the winter with tights and never did. My legs are fine, I can carry the look off but I didn't want to so there they sit, on my top closet shelf unworn. As for capris, I think they can be OK if they are styled correctly. They should be more tapered and worn with a nice wedge or stylish sandal. Flared capris with bad sporty sandals are pretty much the death. The "middle aged chick with kids at the mall" in pastel capri is very scary, you really want to avoid it.

Old 03-23-2008, 03:15 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,027,833 times
Kshegirl
You look absolutely lovely, and no it is not a sin to have long hair past 40.
I went to layers at 40 because my hair is thick and it was just hanging there, dragging my face down. But I didn't cut my hair to shoulder-length until I was closing in on 50. That's just me, maybe you'll have long hair as a granny.

I agree with catrinac that tapered, well-fitted capris are preferable; I bought a cheapo pair of jean capris at Target and they don't fit that great but they only cost $10 and I'll get my use out of them walking the dog and running errands.
Really, everything *should* be well-fitting, but I am not a shopaholic and can't spend too much time endlessly trying things on.

I also agree that the miniskirt thing might be overdone by older ladies, but to me "older" is over 40. I don't think knee-grazing skirts on 40-somethings are an anathema, though. As Flamingo says, body type matters.

While I do try not to be too scary, I prefer to please myself, sporty sandals and all, and can't worry too much about being pegged as a scary middle-aged chick--that kind of worried self-consciousness is soul-killing.

Old 03-23-2008, 03:42 PM

452 posts, read 1,723,001 times
You look awesome and HAPPY..and that's what counts. These days, the "rules" are everywhere and if we don't break them, we'll all look alike.

I buy most of my capris at Cato, wallyworld and Dillards. I go to the junior department to get the right fit for my length at cato. I was surprised to find that the low rise capris fit better and if you wear a long enough shirt with them, it all works out. Life is too short to worry over what someone in Hollywood thinks I should look over here in Arkansas.

Old 03-23-2008, 04:29 PM

thanks ladies!

Old 03-23-2008, 05:20 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,027,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArkLexee View Post
I was surprised to find that the low rise capris fit better and if you wear a long enough shirt with them, it all works out. .
Low rise, no matter what the pant, can be very, very flattering--even better--on the right body.
The "new" high waist thing isn't any big deliverance for anyone.
For me, finding a moderate compromise is preferable--not too high, not too low.

Old 03-23-2008, 05:23 PM

Hated that high waist thing the last time it was in, in the '80's!

Old 03-23-2008, 05:27 PM

562 posts, read 2,403,633 times
You look great kshegirl95 but you look 36 not 46. Hope I look as happy and glowing as you in 6 yrs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty