Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2019, 01:50 PM

1,095 posts, read 1,055,594 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peester View Post
That ain’t meat.
No, it's beautiful flesh that makes a "woman". Not a skinny unhealthy child.

Old 03-13-2019, 02:07 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,019,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
That's because women's bodies are more varied in proportions than men's, on average. We can't just buy pants based on inseam length and waist circumference, because we vary too much in the size of our hips, thighs, and butts. Likewise, we need more measurements than neck circumference, chest circumference, and arm length to buy a blouse because we have breasts. Two women with exactly the same size chest circumference (as measured directly beneath the breasts) may not be able to wear the same blouse if one wears an A-cup and the other a DD cup.

So more diversity of female body types in ads makes it easier for each of us to see how a particular piece of apparel will look on us. It can also help us figure out if a particular line of clothes is styled to match our own body shape (regardless of what size we wear).

You said it very well, and explained it better than I could. Thanks!

Old 03-13-2019, 02:45 PM

6,616 posts, read 4,877,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsyjudy View Post
Yes, I know. There are so many thoughts I wish I could expand right now but can't. However, no one is really answering the posed question:

Is it appealing to you as a buyer?

Why are we not seeing overweight men? I'm not just singling out Target - this is across the industry.
It's repulsive to me as a buyer. I don't want to see that, and it makes me associate the brand with low-quality and pandering to an unhealthy lifestyle. I have negative thoughts about brands that oversell sex or use rail-thin models, but very overweight models is worse.

Old 03-13-2019, 03:02 PM

3,217 posts, read 2,427,907 times
Quote:
How do you feel about the recent trend with overweight models? I was just viewing my local Target ad online and was taken aback by the very overweight lingerie and athletic models featured. I found this very unappealing, personally. I've been fat, and I have been thin, but, personally, I prefer to see thinner models. Buy, hey, that's just me. Also, why do you NOT see overweight men models. My family and I have noticed that we ONLY see overweight women. Just curious.
Just looked at the ad...Why? because they are advertising plus size underwear. Why in the world would they put plus sized underwear on a skinny model. People want to see how it might look on them. If you notice the one above the plus size is a skinny girl. Get over it. When they advertise clothing that comes in my size I want to see it on my size models to see how it might look not on some skinny 18 year old chic. I

Old 03-13-2019, 03:07 PM

383 posts, read 392,078 times
Okay. Guess I got my answer there. Supply and demand. Geez, there sure are a lot of touchy people out there. Thanks for the responses.

Old 03-13-2019, 03:10 PM

88,527 posts, read 84,719,546 times
Quote:
Do these ads make you want to shop at the store, or do they turn you away?
It has made me NOT want to shop (in catalogs, not at a store) when I see skinny models in a plus-size catalog. That shirt isn't going to make anyone look as thin as they do, and you're insulting my intelligence by trying to make it seem that way.

Old 03-13-2019, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Yes, it's appealing to me because it reflects reality. Fake reality causes problems.

Yes, you are bringing up the sexism with your whole question.

There have always been Big and Tall menswear and stores. Even husky sizes for little boys. It's an assumption that men of all sizes are normal and the market has always met their needs.
King Size is a common catalog for tall and heavy men.

Old 03-13-2019, 03:15 PM

6,617 posts, read 6,539,370 times
Simply put: Heavy models are for heavy people to see what the clothes look like on.

A tiny size 6 woman wearing the same thing is in NO way going to give you a decent idea what the article of clothing looks like on their heavier body.

If you don't like the heavy model showing showing these clothes, then JUST DON'T LOOK AT THEM.

As for heavy men models? Not too many men bother to look through fashion magazines to see what clothes look like. They go into the Big and Tall stores, try them on and away they go. That's not where the money is.

Old 03-13-2019, 03:18 PM

3,217 posts, read 2,427,907 times
Quote:
The point is being missed here. I am well aware that larger people wear clothes, too. (By the way, my largest was a size 4, as I am a very small person. I shopped at regular petite stores, if you must know). My post was simply gauging how effective these advertisements are and why men are not given equal time. Plus sized men are just not advertised in the mainstream, and they are just as overweight as women. Why? Your link is something I would have NEVER found or seen had you not mentioned it here. My post was also questioning if it is a good idea to promote an unhealthy lifestyle - just as the anorexic, heroine chic of the early 90's. There is bountiful research backing the dangers of being overweight (and, yes, I know, skinny people get sick and die, too).

And by the way, there are women out there that are a size 0 who also shop and cannot find clothes. A lot of the companies that have a "0" are what a size "4" used to be. So it's not just larger women who have a hard time finding clothing. But, that is NOT the point of the post.

I'm sure I will get blasted for "disappearing" from this topic for a while, but I have other things I MUST do.....
In what dimension is a size 4 fat? In your original post you stated you have been fat and you have been thin, then you say the largest you have been is a size 4. Size 4 is not fat, you need to see someone about your body issues if you think that was fat. I hope you meant the smallest.

Old 03-13-2019, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellybelly83 View Post
well said and 100% agreed. Men have always had there needs catered to, they make pants in a variety of lengths and band sizes. For a very long time my 5'1 self would be expected to fit in the same length pants as a tall woman. When petite sizes did become available it was more expensive, but there was a market and people were willing to pay.

I love the fact that Target and other stores use plus size models, I don't think it promotes an unhealthy lifestyle at all, it just makes fashion more accessible to plus size women. Besides, being plus sized isn't anything you should hide and be ashamed of. We need brands that promote body acceptance, there were big people before they started and there will be big people if they stopped, but showing young girls that real bodies come in all shapes and sizes is a positive thing.
Let me correct that. Your 5'1" self would be expected to fit on the same length pants as an AVERAGE woman. I am an actual TALL woman, and we are the one group for whom there are absolutely NO brick and mortar stores for clothing. None. Zero. Zip. Not even in New York City.

Occasionally a line does produce pants in longer lengths, but that's it. If I need sleeves long enough, or a waist that doesn't land just under my boobs, I have a limited number of catalogs from which I can shop and pay exorbitant prices for a small selection of clothing.

My late best friend was 4'11", so I know it's hard for you guys, too, but you still have more choices than we do because there are a lot more of you than there are of us.

As you noted, that's not the case for men. There are stores and catalogs for tall and/or overweight men.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty