Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2021, 04:05 PM

4,088 posts, read 2,564,078 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
As someone who has two daughters in this age group, I can tell you they are way more interested in how other people their age feel about their fashion choices than in what their parents or grandparents think. They don't remember the 1987 Sears catalog, and if you say they remind you of it, they will take it as a complement because to them, 1980s styles are in.

The last thing they want to do is dress like your elderly mother.
My partner's daughter is a teenager. It's like taking a walk down memory lane when I take her shopping, lol. Ripped jeans? Check. (Thank goodness *that* style seems to be on the wane!). Acid wash? Check. Pegged hems? Check. Overalls? Check. Band tees? Check. Baby doll dresses? Check. There was one in store ad in particular that looked exactly like I did when I was my partner's daughter's age--from the hair to the shirt to the pegged pants and white tennis shoes--that even she noticed the resemblance, lol.

In short, so much of what I'm seeing in the stores is what I and my peers wore in junior high through my early college years (1989-1996-ish).

Low-slung jeans were never my thing even though I could get away with wearing them. I never did like feeling as though my bottom was always in danger of being exposed by a slipping pair of jeans. Boot and straight legs with a medium rise are the most flattering on my body, so that's what I choose to wear. The best ones were from Victoria's Secret when they had their non-under/sleep wear catalogue. Perfect for the woman who has a small waist with an ample bottom and long legs.

Last edited by Formerly Known As Twenty; 10-26-2021 at 04:23 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2021, 04:14 PM

368 posts, read 214,165 times
As a guy, they're not out of style in my book. I think they look good, way better than the mom-jeans-above-ribcage look women have been sporting for several years now. IMO the high-rise only looks good on tall women with broad shoulders and longish torsos, but I think tall women look good in low-rise also.

Short and medium-height women look best in low/mid-rise...whatever the rise was before the super high-rise trend took over.

The super-high-rise look makes many woman look like they have no torso which has been swallowed by the pants, it's like legs meet boobs. Sorry, but looks weird.

Ultra-low is also not a great look for most women. Somewhere in between is best, most but not necessarily every square inch of the butt covered by the jeans, significant amount of torso visible/not covered by jeans. Not six inches above the butt covered by jeans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Not a guy but if I were I know which I'd prefer to see
In the second set of photos, the second pic is not all that high and is more attractive than first pic IMO. Second pic of first set of photos is too low.

Last edited by pclem; 10-26-2021 at 04:30 PM..

Old 10-26-2021, 04:20 PM

8,069 posts, read 12,787,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCNYC View Post
Reason: Muffin top.

You definitely start some interesting threads about fashion.

/thread
Yep! They only looked good on some people. I was wondering at some point in that fashion fad if people didn't have mirrors in their homes.

Old 10-26-2021, 04:32 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,681,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pclem View Post
As a guy, they're not out of style in my book. I think they look good, way better than the mom-jeans-above-ribcage look women have been sporting for several years now. IMO the high-rise only looks good on tall women with broad shoulders and longish torsos, but I think tall women look good in low-rise also.

Short and medium-height women look best in low/mid-rise...whatever the rise was before the super high-rise trend took over.

The super-high-rise look makes many woman look like they have no torso which has been swallowed by the pants, it's like legs meet boobs. Sorry, but looks weird.

Ultra-low is also not a great look for most women. Somewhere in between is best, most but not necessarily every square inch of the butt covered by the jeans, significant amount of torso visible/not covered by jeans. Not six inches above the butt covered by jeans.
But you make a point here- it really depends on a specific woman’s figure. I remember when low rise was in, I was in my early 20s and would get talked to at work because my shirt was never long enough. It is a Problem for women with long torsos. I am not tall, but my sister (who is about 3” taller than me) will look appropriate in a dress that will look absolutely obscene on me. She is all legs and I am mostly torso- so she will have a nice knee-length dress and for me it is 2” below my crotch. A high rise pair of pants will not go above my ribcage. I have on some high rise leggings now and they just cover my belly button.

Old 10-26-2021, 04:45 PM

368 posts, read 214,165 times
I think high-rise leggings are OK on most women because you still see the form of the woman's body, where the normal-tightness/baggier mom jeans can create an optical illusion that is not flattering in my book. Yes I agree it definitely depends on body type, the longer the torso the higher a woman can get away with, but she definitely doesn't want to look like she has a 3-foot long butt either. The leggings show where the butt stops but the jeans/pants often don't.

I'm all for a variety of rises being worn depending on what a woman likes to wear for a given occasion and what looks best on her body type, I just oppose the idea that low/mid is out of style and that high always looks great when it often looks worse.

I think the main problem is that a lot of these styles are worn by models and people say 'oh that looks good,' and it often does because super tall/rangy body types, male and female alike, can pull off a wider variety of looks, especially on camera. But when you apply those looks to women in general, they don't always work.

Last edited by pclem; 10-26-2021 at 05:10 PM..

Old 10-26-2021, 05:06 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,584,588 times
I did read somewhere on the web in the last few days that low-rise jeans are definitely back in style.

Old 10-26-2021, 05:45 PM

6,590 posts, read 4,980,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Like many fashion trends over the eons, they didn't look good on everyone, yet "everyone" tried to wear them. What I recall from those days is a lot of women with jeans at mid-hip height and a big muffin top bulging out above. Your observations or recollections a couple of decades since that era seem to differ.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
I hated the high waist pants on myself. May have been a good fit on some women, but in my case the skinny waist would practically strangle my lower ribs while the big butt allowance on them was cartoonish. I don’t have either a high waist line or a big butt. Give me low rise pants any day; they also were made to fit smaller butts well.

I always bought boys or mens jeans for this reason, before the low rise style became common.

But I do remember seeing muffin tops and butt cracks and panties that rose above the pant top. They were probably intended for slimmer women, not “look good on anyone”.
I am short, and high waisted. I have a waist and hips.

I do have a few low rise pants/shorts and they are not bad on me. The sizing never worked right on many brands either because you weren't measuring your waist, you had to measure where they sat which was your hips!

High rise always made me look like I had a poochy stomach even if I didn't.

I get the best fit from mid-rise.

What I really hate, even as a high waisted person, is these pants/shorts/leggings that go up to your rib cage! "Comfortable yoga style" they call them. As long as you never bend over! I also bike and this trend has gone over the bike shorts. As soon as you get on the bike and bend over they roll right down.

I saw an ad today for workout clothes - the leggings so high and the bra so low that they may as well have been wearing a full body suit!

Old 10-26-2021, 06:30 PM

368 posts, read 304,795 times
The 1990s MOM JEANS are back and they are horrid. Any woman wearing them looks like she is wearing a diaper.

Just as parachute pants for men from the 1980s never came back in style, Mom jeans should not have, either.

Old 10-26-2021, 06:39 PM

10,908 posts, read 7,397,769 times
Money. Fashion has to change constantly for the industry to make money.
Low waisted goes out, high waisted comes in.
High waists go out, mid rise comes in.
Low waists will eventually come back into style, as will pretty much every trend that ever existed.

Old 10-26-2021, 07:36 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,416,359 times
Low rise with a slight flare were the best look ever. It has been for years near impossible to find jeans like that, my wife has of yet find and still wears her low rise jeans that are over 15 years old now due to lack of replacement available.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty